• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels DFA Jonathan Lucroy

mmc

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

It’s almost like making your entire offseason about bad players and reclamation projects is a bad idea that won’t work. 

This position ignores the reality that it was reported by everyone that the Angels tried and were rebuffed by many of the front line guys.   

Honestly...... How attractive a landing spot were the Angels last year?    Questions regarding Trout's future.  Questions in RF, 3B, 2B, no catcher, farm still had not produced yet..  There were even questions about whether or not Ohtani was really as good as he had looked his rookie year (offensively).

They are a much more attractive option this year than last IMO, those changes and a Brinks hopefully makes for better results...

Edited by Inside Pitch

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

Of course it is, but this club isnt going to challenge Hou anytime soon without them, you know that as well as i do. 

Houston is as well built and intelligent an organization as there is in baseball. The Angels are still recovering from the worst farm system in history. Most teams that sell everything to rebuild like Houston and Chicago didn’t have a juggernaut to catch up to. Not saying it won’t happen, just that it’s not something that will happen quickly, and that isn’t anyone’s fault in the last three years. 

25 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Arte is a billionaire. He knows all deals don’t work out and he knows that most of them made sense on paper. It would be one thing if Eppler had made no good acquisitione, but that’s just isn’t the case. Besides, Arte screwed up a lot worse in who he signed than Eppler ever has. 

Yeah, because Arte gives a flying F*ck what you think. Arte signed Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols. Arte signed Jerry Dipoto. Mistakes happen. We also got La Stella and Goodwin. No one knows for sure how deals are gonna work out. Eppler’s look bad only from a monetary perspective. But given Arte’s own history, pretty sure this season isn’t going to make or break Eppler. 

Eppler had to ask Arte to stretch the budget to pick up Cody Allen, do you really think Arte is happy about him sucking so much that he got released mid-June, along with several other failed signings?  Of course he isn't.

6 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Eppler had to ask Arte to stretch the budget to pick up Cody Allen, do you really think Arte is happy about him sucking so much that he got released mid-June, along with several other failed signings?  Of course he isn't.

Depends who’s idea that was. For all you know, Arte insisted on signing ‘a closer’. But sure, if it was Eppler’s idea and Arte had to be sold, he’s likely not thrilled with it. Easily Eppler’s most bizarre acquisition. Most of the others made sense on some level. 

1 hour ago, robblin17 said:

The guy was absolutely horrendous and one of the worst "catchers" I have ever seen. I don't know what the hell people from Oakland were talking about. 

Rough FA class for Eppler:

Allen
Harvey
Lucroy
Bour

Cahill will probably make it through the year because no one cares if his arm falls off and he can eat some innings. No, you can't eat the innings literally, Trevor. 

But, all one year deals!

Could any of you be this bad at your job and survive?

23 minutes ago, floplag said:

Epplers job is to build a winner, to date he has not done so.  His contract isnt open ended.

I doubt his job was to build a winner by 2019, given the state of the org and the way he’s operated the last few seasons. 

His job is build a winner 2020-2030, and he’s doing a fine job for that. 

Just now, Sean-Regan said:

You guys seem to be forgetting Pujols and Hamilton. Dipoto literally quit. Let’s be real, 2019 at most makes Eppler’s chair slightly warm. What’s going to matter is 99% 2020. If the team sucks, he’s likely gone. 

I like what he's done with the minors, but he messed up this year. There's no doubt about it. It's embarrassing for an organization with the wherewithal of the Angels to go this long without being in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, The_Outrunner said:

Sucks how bad we missed in FA's this year.

I like Eppler but it was a bad enough offseason that it gives me pause....add to it getting Garcia in a trade.....his best move was Goodwin, who didn't cost anything....

Edit:  Forgot LaStella....

Some things I trust Eppler with, some things I don't. If it's scouting out and buying low on a DFA'd pitcher, there's no one better. If it's trading for position player with a solid skill set, but no opportunity, I definitely trust him. He eyed Ji-Man Choi before the Rays ever did. He brought in Tommy La Stella, which was a genius move.

But if it's signing free agents under 15 million AAV, then HECK NO. There's no one worse. Cozart, Bout, Allen, Harvey, Lucroy, Cahill, etc...

So if Eppler is willing to spend 20+ million on a free agent, sure. Those ones are no brainiers that will be at the very least semi productive, so it's harder to fail on those. Like if he signs Cole and Wheeler or Ryu, I'm sure those would be fine.

If AW got their way this off season we would have signed the following players:

Harper

Machado

Corbin 

Eovaldi

Grandall

Gio Gonzalez

Britton

Ottavino

Robertson

Kelly

JA Happ

And four of those guys have not sucked or have stayed healthy.  I’m sure I am missing a few.  Those players would have prevented us from signing a key player this coming off season.

Here was my free agent wish list:

Eovaldi

Ottavino

Britton

Eovaldi

Daniel Murphy

Jed Lowrie

Grandall

Most of which sucked and would have put us on the hook for next year as well.  

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This position ignores the reality that it was reported by everyone that the Angels tried and were rebuffed by many of the front line guys.   

Hot...... How attractive a landing spot were the Angels last year?    Questions regarding Trout's future.  Questions in RF, 3B, 2B, no catcher, farm still had not produced yet..  There were even questions about whether or not Ohtani was really as good as he had looked his rookie year (offensively).

They are a much more attractive option this year than last IMO, those changes and a Brinks hopefully makes for better results...

I’m not ignoring anything.  Regardless of what they did or didn’t try it didn’t work and they ended up with the 1 year deals which disastrously didn’t work.  At least it’s over with at the end of the year.  Still,  being rebuffed is a failure. 

1 hour ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Should have just doubled that $34M and signed Eovaldi.

Or, they could have signed Grandal for a year, and picked up a few veterans off the scrap heap with what was left of the $34M. At least they would have invested in something solid, and gambled with the rest. instead of spending all of that money on lottery tickets and getting nothing in return.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

i never said this season would, nor that i think Artes cares about my view.  
The fans arent going to continue to show up at a 3M pace per year for a endless 500 club, you can bank on that Trout or no Trout.   

History says otherwise

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If AW got their way this off season we would have signed the following players:

Harper

Machado

Corbin 

Eovaldi

Grandall

Gio Gonzalez

Britton

Ottavino

Robertson

Kelly

JA Happ

And four of those guys have not sucked or have stayed healthy.  I’m sure I am missing a few.  Those players would have prevented us from signing a key player this coming off season.

Here was my free agent wish list:

Eovaldi

Ottavino

Britton

Eovaldi

Daniel Murphy

Jed Lowrie

Grandall

Most of which sucked and would have put us on the hook for next year as well.  

We get your point. 

He still struck out on one year deals when others have flourished. 

Again, not a huge deal, but what happens if he had signed Miley or Lynn. Hindsight is 20/20, but they were also half as expensive as Harvey and Cahill. 

Edit: don’t know why I included Lynn. He wasn’t a one year deal.