• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels DFA Jonathan Lucroy

mmc

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

This off-season, he HAS to land the big fish (Gerrit Cole).  

You hate to put an ultimatum on things, but I agree.

Eppler has to sign either Cole or sign two of the top 10 available FA's. Or acquire similar players via trade. I'd rather he go the FA route because it costs us nothing but salary. 

1 minute ago, robblin17 said:

You hate to put an ultimatum on things, but I agree.

Eppler has to sign either Cole or sign two of the top 10 available FA's. Or acquire similar players via trade. I'd rather he go the FA route because it costs us nothing but salary. 

What would you say if Eppler did all that you ask and Cole goes down for TJ surgery? Do you demand he be fired?

That is how volitle the free agent market for pitchers is. So no matter what you want there is the potential it all blows up like this years free agent crop. And the Angels are not the only team that has dead contracts. 

1 minute ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

He gets an A for effort/ The team looks like it's improving on paper and that's what matters

You know, this isnt kindergarten.... at some point the "we tried", "the prices were too high" or "too expensive" ... all that needs to become results.  Last off season, this deadline... even if its true, which it probably was, it doesnt change the situation.  
At some point were going to have to overpay for whatever it is we want.  That perfect deal at the right price isnt coming. 

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

What would you say if Eppler did all that you ask and Cole goes down for TJ surgery? Do you demand he be fired?

That is how volitle the free agent market for pitchers is. So no matter what you want there is the potential it all blows up like this years free agent crop. And the Angels are not the only team that has dead contracts. 

Normally, agreed with high priced pitching, except that they need an experienced rock solid guy in the worst way.     Otherwise, how long will it be before the current guys can get the job done on their own over enough innings (at least 162)?

It's a risk of course, TJS.   At least with it, it's not career ending like labrum issues are, just a 1.5-2.0 seasons detour. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

You know, this isnt kindergarten.... at some point the "we tried", "the prices were too high" or "too expensive" ... all that needs to become results.  Last off season, this deadline... even if its true, which it probably was, it doesnt change the situation.  
At some point were going to have to overpay for whatever it is we want.  That perfect deal at the right price isnt coming. 

Yep he should have succeeded in signing all the guys we wanted him to sign that have also been shitty. 

Yes it has to turn into results but results in free agency are crap shoots and this is coming from a guy that likes free agency. 

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

That would be asinine. 

And, yeah, of course. 

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok so Ken is never wrong?  

Rosenthal is extremely well respected. People were just pointing out that if Rosenthal said there was interest there probably was some at the very least.

The bigger issue was that Stassi was acquired minutes before the deadline and if Lucroy would've been traded they would've only had one catcher for Wednesday. 

43 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Yup, @Dochalo mentioned it in another thread. Even though they are all just one year deals and don’t have an impact on the future, it’s still been a waste of Arte’s money so he can’t be pleased. 

Arte is a billionaire. He knows all deals don’t work out and he knows that most of them made sense on paper. It would be one thing if Eppler had made no good acquisitione, but that’s just isn’t the case. Besides, Arte screwed up a lot worse in who he signed than Eppler ever has. 

30 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im sorry but benefit of the doubt is pretty much used up at this point.  His back is now against the wall.  

Yeah, because Arte gives a flying F*ck what you think. Arte signed Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols. Arte signed Jerry Dipoto. Mistakes happen. We also got La Stella and Goodwin. No one knows for sure how deals are gonna work out. Eppler’s look bad only from a monetary perspective. But given Arte’s own history, pretty sure this season isn’t going to make or break Eppler. 

33 minutes ago, floplag said:

If this is our answer to the gaping hole at C for '20, allow me to be the first to say this is not what i had in mind. 

I don't know much about Stassi, but if he is a really good defensive catcher i am fine with it. The rest of the lineup is not an automatic out . Teams can "hide" one weak hitter in the lineup, in exchange for good defense. A couple of years ago, we were screaming for more offense. I think we had 3-4 holes in the lineup. The team now can score runs, and is one of the better defensive teams in baseball. We just need pitching, pitching,pitching.

1 minute ago, greginpsca said:

I don't know much about Stassi, but if he is a really good defensive catcher i am fine with it. The rest of the lineup is not an automatic out . Teams can "hide" one weak hitter in the lineup, in exchange for good defense. A couple of years ago, we were screaming for more offense. I think we had 3-4 holes in the lineup. The team now can score runs, and is one of the better defensive teams in baseball. We just need pitching, pitching,pitching.

This is especially true for a catcher-- give me a solid defender that can call a good game any day. Outside of the truly elite offensive catchers, that's by far their most important role. Plus, there is some chance that Stassi is merely a slight negative on offense, too - he had a .710 OPS last year, which would place him in the low-end starter range for catchers.

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

really surprised that we couldn't get anything back for him, espcially when teams were looking into him.

It was really bad timing for his injury. Teams weren’t going to take a chance without seeing play post surgery. That said, he really didn’t show any value before the injury. No loss here. 

33 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep he should have succeeded in signing all the guys we wanted him to sign that have also been shitty. 

Yes it has to turn into results but results in free agency are crap shoots and this is coming from a guy that likes free agency. 

Of course it is, but this club isnt going to challenge Hou anytime soon without them, you know that as well as i do. 

16 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Arte is a billionaire. He knows all deals don’t work out and he knows that most of them made sense on paper. It would be one thing if Eppler had made no good acquisitione, but that’s just isn’t the case. Besides, Arte screwed up a lot worse in who he signed than Eppler ever has. 

Yeah, because Arte gives a flying F*ck what you think. Arte signed Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols. Arte signed Jerry Dipoto. Mistakes happen. We also got La Stella and Goodwin. No one knows for sure how deals are gonna work out. Eppler’s look bad only from a monetary perspective. But given Arte’s own history, pretty sure this season isn’t going to make or break Eppler. 

i never said this season would, nor that i think Artes cares about my view.  
The fans arent going to continue to show up at a 3M pace per year for a endless 500 club, you can bank on that Trout or no Trout.   So he should care what we collectively think.
Epplers job is to build a winner, to date he has not done so.  His contract isnt open ended.