• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell to AAA Salt lake

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

He very well may not, but Matsuis deal has zero to do with it. Whats the relevance of Matsuis deal at all here?

That Matsui was basically just a DH and that money was paid 9 years ago. Kole is a streaky hitter with pop that is also a terrific defensive RF’r. 

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

There is no chance they exercise Kole's option.  He might be back but it would be on a deal for about half the amount at most.  Personally, I think he ends up getting 1/6 or less.  And I think that's a bit unfortunate actually.  

I think it's extremely, extremely unlikely, but I don't think it's at a "no chance" level. And I do agree that more likely would be they decline his option, but still explore signing him - perhaps to a two-year deal at a lesser rate - if there's heavy interest from him in being in Anaheim and he's open to a undefined role. 

It's not so much that I doubt Adell's MLB-readiness or Goodwin's stopgap ability, or that I'm enthused with Kole's production. 

My leading belief for a Calhoun '20 possibility exists is that, while the Angels need a lot of pitching, Eppler will not want to go a route that clogs up payroll with middling arms, and that Calhoun's 1/$14m ultimately won't prevent them from 1) pursuing Cole and 2) opting for cheap Miley/Gio fliers. 
Eppler will see the Angels best route for '20 contention coming from a very good offense, growth from the kids in the box and on the mound, and some luck on cheap 1-yr vet SPs, hopefully led by Cole and Ohtani, rather than signing a couple of Odorizzi/Wheeler types to contracts that muddy things up, becoming the next Cozart/Calhoun commitment. 

And even then, I acknowledge a lot of other things have to happen...1) the rookie SPs have to produce this year 2) Calhoun has to keep hitting and be open to a limited/1B/4th OF role, 3) Arte has to be willing to fudge the budget for one year, akin to Allen, to have both Cole and Kole, 4) none of the kids take off hitting down the stretch, including Adell at AAA. It would take a perfect storm for this scenario to come into play.

3 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Kole is a streaky hitter with pop that is also a terrific defensive RF’r.

Kole hasn't really been streaky since his reboot....his production this season has mirrored last summer's reboot very, very closely. There's some aberration if you strictly break his season into monthly numbers, but that's sort of an arbitrary starting point. 

He's been a consistent .230/.330/.470/.800 guy since last June, over ~840 plate appearances.

14 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Calhoun will most likely sign somewhere for more than $14 mil total

Hard to say the way the market has been in the last couple of years...   

I can maybe see two years for 14 as the high-water mark..   Last years FA signings/$$$$$ https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2019/

There were only two multi-year contracts given out to RFers last year -- Cutch and Harper.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Just now, RBM said:

Was sending my response when you sent this. Looks like we’re on the same page. 

Given what Markakis got...  A 2 year deal may take some really good agent work...

Avisail, Jay, a lot guys that took chump change last year will be back in the free agent pool this year as well as Marcell Ozuna, Brett Gardner, Corey Dickerson, Puig Castellanos, and potentially Adam Eaton if the Nats cut him loose...

1 hour ago, nando714 said:

Kole should have been traded for mid level prospects 3 weeks ago 

I don't think I would have traded him for a mid-level prospect if you define that as somebody with upside but still not likely to make an impact at the big league level...maybe for an upper tier mid level guy (whatever that means).....

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Hard to say the way the market has been in the last couple of years...   

I can maybe see two years for 14 as the high-water mark..   Last years FA signings/$$$$$ https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2019/

There were only two multi-year contracts given out to RFers last year -- Cutch and Harper.

It is crazy how the market has adjusted. Calhoun could easily finish as a 3 war RF this year.

On 8/22/2019 at 7:31 AM, zenmaster said:

Man this really sucks for Adell. Nice to see him hit 2, but it sucks that they don't count.

They count where it matters, in demonstrating his skills and showing development.

That isn’t erased.

Even without the 2 homer night, he is now 9 for his last 28 with hits in 5 of his last 6 games.

The strikeouts are a bit concerning but then again some of the best players in the majors strikeout 150 times a year now.

This guy is legit.