• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell to AAA Salt lake

11 minutes ago, Blarg said:

As much as I would like to see him play in Anaheim I'd like to see him get under the 130 at bats limit to maintain his ROY status. The Angels will not benefit by playing him more, they are not seriously in playoff contention and if they were then Calhoun should receive the most playing time.

Since he is a Boras client they may need to play then service time game and hold him in AAA to start next year, just to stall his contract negotiations when he his arbitration and free agency. 

September after AAA season concludes sounds good to me.

16 minutes ago, RBM said:

A player needs to play 172 of the 187 days in the MLB calendar to start the process for option and arbitration years, Right?

Didn’t answer the option part in my other response....

Anyone who is on the 40-man roster and not in the majors is optioned. You can be optioned in 3 different years. 

If Adell comes up in September and doesn’t go back, he won’t use an option year. He’ll only use one when he goes down. 

If he comes up in September and then doesn’t make the opening day roster, that’s an option. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

So under the current CBA at this point they've got control of Adell through at least 2025.  If they brought him up this year for so many days, started him in the minors next year then brought him up after a certain point he could conceivably be under control through 2026.  If he's ready and there's a spot for him by all means bring him up but with Trout, Upton and Calhoun more or less starting the rest of this season with Goodwin as the 4th OF'er there's really no reason to bring him up if he isn't going to get regular playing time.  I have no idea if the team even has any intention of doing this it's just in response to people talking about him getting a call up this year.

5 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

So under the current CBA at this point they've got control of Adell through at least 2025.  If they brought him up this year for so many days, started him in the minors next year then brought him up after a certain point he could conceivably be under control through 2026.  If he's ready and there's a spot for him by all means bring him up but with Trout, Upton and Calhoun more or less starting the rest of this season with Goodwin as the 4th OF'er there's really no reason to bring him up if he isn't going to get regular playing time.  I have no idea if the team even has any intention of doing this it's just in response to people talking about him getting a call up this year.

If they call him up in September, it means he’s going to play a lot and also that they are pretty sure he’s going to be their RF on opening day 2020.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

still not sure they'll call him up in Sept. unless someone gets injured.  Calhoun and Upton playing everyday.  Goodwin is a good 4th Ofer.  

The experience in September though, even if in a part-time role, could be beneficial towards preparing him for the start of the 2020 season as the starting RF.   Although assuming that Marsh stays, Adell will likely move to LF at that point and Upton to 1B?  

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The experience in September though, even if in a part-time role, could be beneficial towards preparing him for the start of the 2020 season as the starting RF.   Although assuming that Marsh stays, Adell will likely move to LF at that point and Upton to 1B?  

You’re way ahead of yourself. Marsh has some work to do before he’s an everyday major leaguer. He’s nowhere near the prospect Adell is. 

Just now, Jeff Fletcher said:

You’re way ahead of yourself. Marsh has some work to do before he’s an everyday major leaguer. He’s nowhere near the prospect Adell is. 

Understood, just looking at it from a defensive standpoint.    I am not counting on Marsh until probably the start of the 2021 season.   Which makes Goodwin very valuable for at least another season after this one. 

1 hour ago, IIIII said:

He hasn't been playing well at all lately. I wonder if this is just a move to shake up his environment and get him with better coaching to help get out of the slump.

I bet you hate ice cream and puppies

I honestly didn't picture Adell getting moved to AAA. AA Mobile is the more difficult environment to produce in. I figured they would promote him straight to the major leagues like they did Trout. Mike did end up spending a month in AAA getting AB's he missed in Spring Training (and also to get Abreu/Wells another look), but developmentally it wasn't a step for him.

But I can see why they would send Adell to AAA. They didn't trade an outfielder so his way to the majors is still blocked, but a promotion, particularly after pulling out of his slump is still a sign of encouragement.

29 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I honestly didn't picture Adell getting moved to AAA. AA Mobile is the more difficult environment to produce in. I figured they would promote him straight to the major leagues like they did Trout. Mike did end up spending a month in AAA getting AB's he missed in Spring Training (and also to get Abreu/Wells another look), but developmentally it wasn't a step for him.

But I can see why they would send Adell to AAA. They didn't trade an outfielder so his way to the majors is still blocked, but a promotion, particularly after pulling out of his slump is still a sign of encouragement.

Eppler says there is value in playing in AAA because you are facing a lot of pitchers with major league experience. Even though they aren’t necessarily major league talents, they approach you in a way kids in AA don’t.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Not since I’ve been covering the team. You’ve got to have a really good prospect to even think about that. 

That's a good point.

They just dont seem to operate like that.  Plus, you want to have a better idea if he's ready before the offseason.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

If they call him up in September, it means he’s going to play a lot and also that they are pretty sure he’s going to be their RF on opening day 2020.

If he continues to do well for the next month in AAA i'd expect a call up. I think giving him a taste of the major leagues this year will help better prepare himself during the offseason. I firmly believe it could be a confidence builder and relieve pressure for next season for him. Worked with Trout.