• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell to AAA Salt lake

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

still not sure they'll call him up in Sept. unless someone gets injured.  Calhoun and Upton playing everyday.  Goodwin is a good 4th Ofer.  

Really? thinking they might want to showcase him some. Free Agent pitchers might be more attracted to us if Adell comes up and plays well. Trout, Ohtani, Fletcher, Adell, Upton, that's a pretty attractive line up that should smash for years to come. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Enberg said:

Really? thinking they might want to showcase him some. Free Agent pitchers might be more attracted to us if Adell comes up and plays well. Trout, Ohtani, Fletcher, Adell, Upton, that's a pretty attractive line up that should smash for years to come. 

If he plays at all this year does his service time start now?  

I'd guess he's gonna put up lofty numbers in AAA (the Bees have four regulars with an OPS over 1.000)  and get a taste of the majors in September (Trout played 20 games  in AAA).  How much of a taste may depend on where the Angels are in a month.  A lot can happen in a month, too.  One of the outfielders could get hurt.  They could be completely out of it.  They could go on a run.  Who knows. 

As much as I would like to see him play in Anaheim I'd like to see him get under the 130 at bats limit to maintain his ROY status. The Angels will not benefit by playing him more, they are not seriously in playoff contention and if they were then Calhoun should receive the most playing time.

Since he is a Boras client they may need to play then service time game and hold him in AAA to start next year, just to stall his contract negotiations when he his arbitration and free agency. 

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

As much as I would like to see him play in Anaheim I'd like to see him get under the 130 at bats limit to maintain his ROY status. The Angels will not benefit by playing him more, they are not seriously in playoff contention and if they were then Calhoun should receive the most playing time.

Since he is a Boras client they may need to play then service time game and hold him in AAA to start next year, just to stall his contract negotiations when he his arbitration and free agency. 

No, they'll just sign him to a long term extension like they did Acuna Jr. and all these other young kids. 

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

No. I hate when teams do this, and while I don’t have proof of it, I feel like players don’t forget and it effects contract negotiations in a negative way 

16 minutes ago, RBM said:

Yes, but I think the question was about whether or not the September call up would start the six year clock for options and arbitration.

It would not.

Yes that's exactly what I was getting at.  I know it used to be (and my still be) that teams would hold off on bringing young guys up until a certain point earlier in the season because if you brought them up before that would count as year one. 

7 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Yes that's exactly what I was getting at.  I know it used to be (and my still be) that teams would hold off on bringing young guys up until a certain point earlier in the season because if you brought them up before that would count as year one. 

If Adell comes up, say, Sept 1, and then never goes back, then it doesn’t matter. 

But if he gets sent down some other time, then the 30 days or whatever he gets in Sept 2019 could add up to push him over a service time or arbitration threshold. 

Here’s how it works now (subject to change in the next CBA):

Every day you’re in the majors counts as a day. When you get to 172 days, it counts as a year, even though the schedule is 186 days long. 

Say you get 30 days one season and then 130 days the next season, you have 160. If you get 30 days one season and then every day the next season, you have 1 year, 30 days (1.030).

You are a free agent the first offseason after you pass 6.000. Sometimes you have exactly 6.000 (if you’re Albert Pujols and debut on opening day and never go back). Most guys have 6.040 or 6.120 or whatever. 

If you’re Kris Bryant, you have 6.171 (what a coincidence!), so that’s basically 7 years. 

The extra year of arbitration comes when you are more than 2.140 or so. So they try to keep the days part before the first full year under 140.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher