• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler to speak with media

58 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This times 1000

Seriously, how many of you think Grienke would have suddenly moved us ahead? If say we squared off with houston, and they started Cole... 

We win that game... who pitches game 2?

Some of you seriously need to take a break, step back, and look at the big picture. If you read this board every day, youre more aware of whats happening than calls in to the sports lodge guy.

NOBODY here assumed we were winning the WS this year. NOBODY here bough a matt harvey jersey...

Its a transition year. The team is still a ways away... one guy isnt going to change that.

What some of you want is for this team to make the same mistakes that got us here to begin with.

The 2012 team was a lot better than the current one.... how did trading prospects for grienke work out back then?....

This...this whole comment.

People here know the score but continue to think Eppler is trading against the "MLB the Show" A.I. and are shocked when he didn't walk away with an effective starting pitcher in a lean market competing against teams in playoff contention with deeper farms.

You can post all the stupid GIFs you want but it won't reflect reality.  Eppler inherited a dumpster fire a decade in the making and this is how long it takes to change a franchise's culture and not continue to make the same mistakes that burned you in the first place.  

14 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

People here know the score but continue to think Eppler is trading against the "MLB the Show" A.I. and are shocked when he didn't walk away with an effective starting pitcher in a lean market competing against teams in playoff contention with deeper farms.

You can post all the stupid GIFs you want but it won't reflect reality.  Eppler inherited a dumpster fire a decade in the making and this is how long it takes to change a franchise's culture and not continue to make the same mistakes that burned you in the first place.  

Ill add here.

A few weeks ago, nobody was clamoring for moves, because everyone knew we were simply average.

Then the team got hot, and everyone got wet, and suddenly we needed to make a push. (A few continued to preach patience).

Suddenly, everyone is pissed, because the team has slumped badly over the last 6 games. And had we simply emptied our farm for one guy, we would be the favorites to win it all...

This team, that just dropped 5 of 6 to dogshit is the same team that scuffled a mere few weeks ago...when it bounces back next series, it will be the same team that swept the dodgers at the latrine, where they are unbeatable this year.

In short, they are average. They will be bipolar for a bit more.

It would be stupid to double down on that team. 

The good news is, and everyone take a deep breath.... this changes nothing from last winter. The plan hasnt changed. The core they are putting together will still be here tomorrow, and it should be a lot better than the current one.

If Grienke was still a DBack today, would anyone be this fired up?

Why is it that every starting pitcher that he’s acquired has sucked?

Is there miscommunication with the advance MLB pitching scouts?

Something is NOT right!

And until he gets better at acquiring starting pitchers, this team will NEVER, EEVER get back to the post-season.

And NONE of these current starters are capable of reaching even 150 innings in 2020.

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think the pressure is starting to build a bit for Eppler.  

He spent $34,350,000 of Arte's money on a heaping pile of shit.  Regardless of whether it didn't hurt the team long term, the owner can't be very happy about that.  In fact, I think he's probably pretty pissed.  

It was supposed to accomplish one of two things.  A more competitive team or trade bait if the team ended up not being competitive.  

If I'm the guy writing the checks, not only am I left with a sour taste in my mount but it wouldn't instill me with a ton of confidence that my chief guy's eval process brought us to make those moves.  Eppler went 0-5 with 5 strikeouts and left 14 runners on base.  

But that's not my biggest concern even though it is a concern.  I am worried that Billy has Arte breathing down his neck to get stuff done and he's going to prematurely start tapping into the farm system even though this org is not ready for that.  Today's Stassi trade is a good example of that for me.  Not crazy or mind blowing by any stretch.  Just puzzling.  Trading players with upside before they are even close to recognizing their value.  I could be dead wrong and I hope I am, but that feels forced.  Backup catchers are a dime a dozed.  They float through waivers all the time.  If he sees Stassi as a primary guy next year and that's what he's banking on, then more power to him.  

It seems to me that he either believes the window is opening or that he's being pressured into to it.  Personally, I don't think we're quite there yet.  Especially at the farm where there needs to be another year plus of development in order to really build enough value to sustain what it will take to make this team a division winner.  I like the depth and ceiling, but the performance needs to move up one more level.  I was hoping that we'd see more breakout individual performances even though that was unrealistic.  

I just don't want to see him jump the gun as he's done a fairly nice job of making things better so far.  Not perfect, but solid.  Don't panic.  

Mid-level moves are the riskiest because they aren't cheap enough to ignore, and the reason they're mid-level and not big deal contracts is because the players could be good or bad. Eppler has been unlucky there, but let's be real, Cahill was a lot better last year than this year. Harvey, too. Allen was a bad idea, and I still don't know what Eppler was thinking there, but given his reluctance to push for expensive relievers, I wonder if it wasn't Arte's idea to get an establish pen piece. 

Within the parameters of what Eppler had the freedom to do, the results look bad, but I honestly don't know what he should've done instead. Moves like this are hit or miss. We've missed more than our share. Does that make Eppler a poor evaluator? Not necessarily. It could just make him unlucky. If anyone was a good enough evaluator to be right all the time, nobody would be able to afford them.

I've criticized Eppler before and probably will again, but people seriously need to get over the FA stuff. Cozart, Cahill, Harvey - all of them made a lot of sense at the time. It wasn't predictable that they'd be the disasters they became. Anyone who thinks otherwise is full of it.

GM jobs are typically given three year contracts, unless of course you've been poached from another organization.  He signed for the 2016 season, so I'm guessing his original contract was for '16, 1'7 and '18 and at some point last year, he signed a three year extension for '19, '20 and '21.  

2019 is the best team he's had as the GM, and they're going to finish .500.  That window of contention begins in 2020, and if the Angels aren't a playoff team next year, then Billy's going to be on the hot seat.  

I fully expect Billy Eppler to spend 50 million this winter on starting pitchers. 

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

Usually when teams rebuild, they start with something. We not only had nothing in the pantry, Trout on the field meant we were never going to be 100 loss team. That extends the normal rebuild time.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

GM jobs are typically given three year contracts, unless of course you've been poached from another organization.  He signed for the 2016 season, so I'm guessing his original contract was for '16, 1'7 and '18 and at some point last year, he signed a three year extension for '19, '20 and '21.  

2019 is the best team he's had as the GM, and they're going to finish .500.  That window of contention begins in 2020, and if the Angels aren't a playoff team next year, then Billy's going to be on the hot seat.  

I fully expect Billy Eppler to spend 50 million this winter on starting pitchers. 

Seeing our schedule the next to months I wouldnt bet that 500 mark yet.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I thought he signed a four year deal

2 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

This is the same thing every year. The team will be around .500 at the deadline and people think they’re playoff bound, despite saying all year long that the time to compete is the next year. They can’t help it. 

Next season everyone will say the window to compete starts in 2021 when they suck ass again. 

Literally no one said this year they would compete. La stella and Goodwin surprised everyone. Period.

Everyone knew the pitching was thin this year with our best pitcher being out from TJ. Oh, and the. Our second best pitcher died.

Literally everyone is saying Adell is the next big thing. He will play with Trout and Ohtani. They arent going anywhere. Thats the core the org is building towards.

If you or anyone else thought this was the big year, you need to pay more attention. Nobody who has actually been keeping tabs on the org, with its short deals and drafting, expected this year to be "it". Not a single move this winter suggested that.

Again ill ask. When we acquired harvey, and cahill, and lucroy, did you prepay playoff tickets?

Just now, Vladdylonglegs said:

Oh people on here thought this team was good, believe me. Go back and read posts from around March. Happens every year. 

Happy because Trout signed...

I agree (@lou). Some people have gotten a little too optimistic  at times. Some were stoked for guys who they shouldnt have been.

Personally, i was pissed we didnt get cespedes circa 2016. (Hindsight, good thing we didnt). But once TJ hit like the plague, and pujols got old, the only option was going the route we have...

1 minute ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Playoffs. 

Everyone knew we needed some shit to break right to make the playoffs. If Harvey and Cahill pitched to a 4.50 ERA this year, the tragedy with Skaggs didn’t occur,  and Heaney stayed healthy we would have made the playoffs. Not all that much to ask for or expect. 

Everything went wrong.... again.