• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler to speak with media

Billy Eppler is set to speak with the media around 2:40pm to provide updates after trade deadline. Can't to hear what he's got to say. I hope i hear two things:

1: He mentions we will make major changes during the offseason to the rotation

2: I hope he doesn't say "we believe this team has a chance at making a push for the playoffs this season".

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Billy Eppler is set to speak with the media around 2:40pm to provide updates after trade deadline. Can't to hear what he's got to say. I hope i hear two things:

1: He mentions we will make major changes during the offseason to the rotation

2: I hope he doesn't say "we believe this team has a chance at making a push for the playoffs this season".

Why do you care if he says he believes in the current team?  It literally means absolutely nothing. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Why do you care if he says he believes in the current team?  It literally means absolutely nothing. 

Believing in the team and thinking they can make a strong playoff push are two different things.

Ausmus said he believes the current team can make a strong push and we know that isn't true. I just don't want them to sound that blind.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Because it's bullshit and he knows it. 

There is a glaring need in the starting rotation both this season and beyond and he hasn't done anything to address it. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

There is a glaring need in the starting rotation both this season and beyond and he hasn't done anything to address it. 

Again, we're buying for 2020...the point of guys like Harvey and Cahill was to hopefully get guys who had decent 2018's on one year deals to not tie up money for 2020 and beyond. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Ok so he’s supposed to go up there and say that? Ok.  I’m sure that’ll help. He knows exactly what he needs to do.  What he tells us or the media doesn’t matter. 

Just now, Stradling said:

Ok so he’s supposed to go up there and say that? Ok.  I’m sure that’ll help. He knows exactly what he needs to do.  What he tells us or the media doesn’t matter. 

I just hope he's honest, @Stradling. Like we tried and failed. We were just beat out by other teams, but we have a lot of work to do to improve our rotation from this point until the first pitch in 2020. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I just hope he's honest, @Stradling. Like we tried and failed. We were just beat out by other teams, but we have a lot of work to do to improve our rotation from this point until the first pitch in 2020. 

It’ll be something along the lines of “were always looking to improve our team but the acquisition cost wasn’t something we were comfortable with”. 

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

You're dreaming if you think he's going to say that.

in before "we tried it just wasnt there", followed by everyones favorite "the asking prices were just to high".  You remember those great hits from yesteryear... (last off season) ... the best news is that the sequel.. or threequel, will be coming soon this next off season so you wont have long to wait to hear your favorites all over again.  

I just don't see a reason to trade away our future talent when there are some pretty good FA options that the Angels can get this off-season.  Also, they could always work out a trade this off-season if there is someone Eppler really wants.

It's not like the Angels had a legit shot at making the playoffs this year anyways.

Edited by VariousCrap

1 minute ago, cvdog said:

The Pujols contract was a joke. Our last 2 GM's have been embarrassing.  The Astros had no problem giving up prospects (80% of which never pan out) in order to get Grienke and Sanchez. Epplers inability to evaluate and sign SP talent has destroyed the Angels this year. Trout will have another MVP season on a garbage 500 team.......

The Astros farm system is about 10 times deeper than ours and still managed to keep their top 2 prospects Tucker and Whitley.

Just now, cvdog said:

The Pujols contract was a joke. Our last 2 GM's have been embarrassing.  The Astros had no problem giving up prospects (80% of which never pan out) in order to get Grienke and Sanchez. Epplers inability to evaluate and sign SP talent has destroyed the Angels this year. Trout will have another MVP season on a garbage 500 team.......

Why do you think the Astros had no problem making that trade? They've been stocking up on prospects for 20 years due to sucking. They can afford to lose those guys. 

1 minute ago, cvdog said:

It isnt even about this year, yes i wanted them to make a better effort but the reailty was that no matter how this year worked out 20 was the opening of the window.  However, aside from having some of the kids gain experience we are basically not better enough for that to be reality at this moment. 
Yes part of this is the sting from todays complete lack of anything, but i originally thought we had 3 changes to improve, last off season, this deadline, and next off season, for '20 to matter... weve blown 2 of the three. 

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Why do you think the Astros had no problem making that trade? They've been stocking up on prospects for 20 years due to sucking. They can afford to lose those guys. 

And this is the reality of it.  Trying to maintain competitiveness in todays market is a curse.  Playing average baseball nearly guarantees you will continue to play average baseball.   You either bite the bullet and suck (AKA Cubs, Braves, and Astros) or spend like youre printing money (AKA LAD and NYY)   We are trying to tread water to our credit, but its resulting in us being really really good at treading water, but drowning when we try to swim.