• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels to Acquire Max Stassi for OFs Rainier Rivas, Raider Uceta

2 hours ago, REDneck said:

A few of the guys on this site are very knowledgeable! Just because he's a major league GM doesn't make him a competent one.

With that said I don't have a huge issue with the trade especially if it helps bring Cole here.

We also need a defense first catcher that can handle a staff but wasn't Lucroy supposed to be that guy?

So did Eppler whiff on Lucroy?

To some extent I do think he whiffed on Lucroy.  Lucroy is not as good as he once was, but serviceable.  I think the organization is tired of all the pitches that get by catchers.  Yes, most of it is due to poor pitching, but the catchers we currently have aren't the greatest at stopping them.  We lead the majors in wild pitches.  Maybe Stassi can block a greater number of them, maybe not.  If you constantly are moving runners into scoring position via wild pitches, passed balls, or poor throws to the bases it sure isn't helping.

2 hours ago, REDneck said:

A few of the guys on this site are very knowledgeable! Just because he's a major league GM doesn't make him a competent one.

While true, even the most knowledgeable poster on this site has zero access to actual front office info.

We can all look at other orgs, see prospects we like, invent trade proposals that are absolutely reasonable.

What we cant do is discuss that with other front offices...who would tell us why they wouldnt do that trade.

45 minutes ago, tomsred said:

To some extent I do think he whiffed on Lucroy.  Lucroy is not as good as he once was, but serviceable.  I think the organization is tired of all the pitches that get by catchers.  Yes, most of it is due to poor pitching, but the catchers we currently have aren't the greatest at stopping them.  We lead the majors in wild pitches.  Maybe Stassi can block a greater number of them, maybe not.  If you constantly are moving runners into scoring position via wild pitches, passed balls, or poor throws to the bases it sure isn't helping.

This^^^^^^

11 hours ago, REDneck said:

With that said I don't have a huge issue with the trade especially if it helps bring Cole here.

We also need a defense first catcher that can handle a staff but wasn't Lucroy supposed to be that guy?

Ok, my guess is he is more knowledgeable and more competent than guys on here.  

22 hours ago, REDneck said:

Please post your resume with any pertinent documents for describing your evaluative process determining the competency of a general manager.

Thank you.

Edited by eligrba

2 minutes ago, REDneck said:

I didn't say he was incompetent..Yet!

But as long as you've brought it up..

How about WINS as the criteria for evalution.

I think that’s silly but ok.  The league is littered with very good managers and GMs on losing teams. 

10 minutes ago, REDneck said:

I didn't say he was incompetent..Yet!

But as long as you've brought it up..

How about WINS as the criteria for evalution.

The only thing I know is that using a single measurement for determining anything is foolish.  (Refer to the current trend of using advanced analytics.)

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

he's a FA at the end of the year.  we'd only need to make like 5 other moves on top of that to win the wild card this year.  

Wrong Will Smith ... talking about the Dodgers catcher Will Smith. He was drafted as a comp pick in the same year the Angels drafted Matt Thaiss. The rich get richer ... lucky ? 

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Wrong Will Smith ... talking about the Dodgers catcher Will Smith. He was drafted as a comp pick in the same year the Angels drafted Matt Thaiss. The rich get richer ... lucky ? 

My guess is acquiring that Will Smith would have cost a TON more.  

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

oh.  my bad.  I can't imagine why he'd be available if it wasn't for an elite reliever and even then it doesn't/didn't seem the dogs were willing to part with their top young guys.  They also took Gavin Lux at 20 that year.  It is frustrating to watch them do so well with young players.  

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is there still some disconnect in the Halos system?   Or is it that the Dogs are just THAT da_n good at player development? 

Well wouldn’t that be the case with every team that isn’t the Dodgers?  But I truly believe the Dodgers are the best organization in baseball at player development.  

4 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Remember when Manny Machado was going to sign with the White Sox because they brought in everyone who had a connection to him?

To be fair, Machado was not born and raised in Chicago but in Florida. Cole was born and raised in Newport Beach, went to high school at Orange Lutheran then college at UCLA. Obviously, this does not mean he will sign with us. I am just pointing out the circumstances could not be any more different and whatever the front office thinks may help no matter how miniscule, I say go for it.