• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels to Acquire Max Stassi for OFs Rainier Rivas, Raider Uceta

Also, Lucroy is a FA at years end, Smith is out of options and having a hard time staying healthy, and again, no one in the farm really worth counting on.

Give Stassi the keys to the staff now and let him work August and September. If he checks out, one less thing we need to acquire this winter - because we were probably going to need to spend money or prospects on catching anyways. If Stassi works, more assets freed up to finding pitching instead of pitching and catching.

Looking more into Stassi, what I think Eppler sees is a guy who has a chance of blossoming with a fresh start and new organization. There's a decent chance he does what he did in 2018, which is hit for league average and be a very good defender. If you squint just right, there's some untapped hitting potential as well. Plus the plausible, if tenuous, Gerrit Cole connection.

Now if Stassi bombs and Cole signs elsewhere and Rivas and/or Uceta crush, then this is going to be Eppler's Bagwell trade.

While the prospects we gave up are both young and potentially exciting, neither are even in our top 30, and we don't have the deepest farm system right now. Neither player will even sniff the MLB until 2023-2024 at the absolute earliest.

Not to mention, we have a wealth of outfield prospects. We essentially did give up "a bag of chips" for Stassi.

I hope they seem something that most don't.   We already had three catchers without options.  So we acquire another catcher without options. 

I don't know if either of the two players we have will be worth a damn or not.   They are young and producing on our level. I don't care if we traded the ghost of Brandon Wood. It seems too much.

Maybe Stasis turns into another Maldanado. If so the trade may be worth it.  

Both prospects were in my top 30, and while I think this is a stupid, awful trade, I'm excited about Stassi, always liked him.

Fun fact, Stassi is from my neck of the woods and I watched him play back in high school.

Sorry to disappoint you all with my indifferent response. I wouldn't have traded either of those prospects, let alone both, but Max Stassi is a fantastic defender and is relatively young.

Edited by Second Base

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Both prospects were in my top 30, and while I think this is a stupid, awful trade, I'm excited about Stassi, always liked him.

Fun fact, Stassi is from my neck of the woods and I watched him play back in high school.

Sorry to disappoint you all with my indifferent response. I wouldn't have traded either of those prospects, let alone both, but Max Stassi is a fantastic defender and is relatively young.

Eh, not that young.  29 next March.

I’m honestly quite devastated that my favorite named guy in the entire organization has been traded for a catcher that apparently can’t hit.  

A bit surprised this cost 2 of these guys.  Especially Uceta who I’ve heard nothing but good about since he’s re-emerged .  I mean going back to when they signed him when he was 16 or whatever the power tool seemed loud as hell.  

I’m just not really sure what the point is.  Garneau seemed fine to me.  Stassi is younger I guess.  I don’t know anything about the D.  I guess it’s good from what some of you are saying. 

It seems obvious that Eppler believes from a defensive POV that they are lacking at catcher. I know the team has a league leading number of passed balls.  I tend to think that the pitchers play their fair part in that.  The pitchers are dog shit.   

Anyway.  The Astros are smart.  The evidence is that they’re better at this stuff then the Angels.  So.  Right now I don’t like this. And I hate that now I am compelled to be a crazy person who is intensely invested in the failure of Raider Uceta and some dude called Rainer.  I honestly have pretty substantial doubt that Max Stassi is the Angels backstop of the future.   

FU Eppler !!!!! (Until you deliver Garret Cole)

Edited by UndertheHalo