• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Justin Upton

3 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

From who? I really want to know who was prepared to give Upton that type of contract. Upton said he wanted to win so which playoff caliber team needed a left fielder at the time that was in a financial position to match what the Angels gave him. 

Loaded questions: Aisle Claude

8 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

From who? I really want to know who was prepared to give Upton that type of contract. Upton said he wanted to win so which playoff caliber team needed a left fielder at the time that was in a financial position to match what the Angels gave him. 

Maybe he gets it from the Red Sox, since it took forever to get a deal done with JD.   They were seen as very similar players heading into free agency.  One hit better the other was a more rounded player that could run a bit and play better defense. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Maybe he gets it from the Red Sox, since it took forever to get a deal done with JD.   They were seen as very similar players heading into free agency.  One hit better the other was a more rounded player that could run a bit and play better defense. 

Nope try again

Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe brought up an interesting question in his Sunday Baseball Columntoday -- "So, you don't pay a premium for Justin Upton, but if his price comes down, is he someone the Red Sox could swoop in and get?"

1 minute ago, Calzone 2 said:

Nope try again

Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe brought up an interesting question in his Sunday Baseball Columntoday -- "So, you don't pay a premium for Justin Upton, but if his price comes down, is he someone the Red Sox could swoop in and get?"

Try harder next time.  Thanks. 

Upton is slumping over his last 40 ABs or so. 

I’m sure when the season ends he’ll have his normal .820-.900 OPS.

He may be slightly overpaid but that’s because that’s how baseball works. The alternative to slightly overpaying for Upton is to keep rolling out Daniel Nava and Matt Joyce every year and hope that someday you stumble into Brian Goodwin. 

10 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Nope try again

Oh shit -- Nick Carfardo had an opinion on January 10th, 2016..... BEFORE Upton had signed with Detroit!!!

Meanwhile in the real world, the current GM of the Tigers gave Upton the contract he got and the Angels traded for while in Detroit.

As usual -- props for trying to distort facts to suit your narratives.

Edited by Inside Pitch

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Oh shit -- Nick Carfardo had an opinion in 2016 BEFORE Upton had signed with Detroit!!!

Meanwhile in the real world, the current GM of the Tigers gave Upton the contract he got and the Angels traded for while in Detroit.

He’s not very bright but he can always hold on to his narratives. 

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Oh shit -- Nick Carfardo had an opinion in 2016 BEFORE Upton had signed with Detroit!!!

If the Red Sox didn’t outbid the Tigers in 2016 they certainly wouldn’t have paid even more to get him in 2018. Just a hunch. 

1 minute ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

It’s pretty easy to predict that a player is going to decline in his 30s and won’t be worth what they were worth at age 25. The Angels are still having a hard time with that concept. 

When he was on the Tigers his contract had us named on his No-Trade list. We had to ask for his permission to trade for him. Then he plays the possible opt-out card to get a raise. That’s exactly the type of player I want on this team. 

1 minute ago, Calzone 2 said:

If the Red Sox didn’t outbid the Tigers in 2016 they certainly wouldn’t have paid even more to get him in 2018. Just a hunch. 

Yawn...

And here is the beauty of every single one of your takes -- you're ignoring facts in order to push a narrative while arguing something that can't be proven..   

Fun facts...   The Red Sox had signed both Rusney Castillo to a 7 year 72 million deal, and Hanley Ramirez to a 4 year 88 million dollar deal the previous winter.   They were ONE year into both contracts..   But don't let those obvious facts get in the way of your bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yawn...

And here is the beauty of every single one of your takes -- you're ignoring facts in order to push a narrative while arguing something that can't be proven..   

Fun facts...   The Red Sox had signed both Rusney Castillo to a 7 year 72 million deal, and Hanley Ramirez to a 4 year 88 million dollar deal the previous winter.   They were ONE year into both contracts..   But don't let those obvious facts get in the way of your bullshit.

Stradling brought up the Red Sox. You can tell him. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Except 3.5 WAR last year.  

50 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Enlighten me - how does one reply to a post arguing what a player has actually been without actually referencing those career numbers?   

If you want to strictly look at what he's been as an Angel -- 4.5 bWAR in 200 games.  

I said a bit.

I hope I'm wrong and Upton starts a hot streak today, and @Lou calls me out in this thread.

20 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

It’s pretty easy to predict that a player is going to decline in his 30s and won’t be worth what they were worth at age 25. The Angels are still having a hard time with that concept. 

Wait, I thought the Angels problem was that they didn’t spend on free agents?

1 minute ago, Glen said:

I said a bit.

I hope I'm wrong and Upton starts a hot streak today, and @Lou calls me out in this thread.

Fair enough.   The two situations also resemble each other in that both AP and Upton play baseball.

6 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

It’s a pretty brilliant tactic I have to say. Probably the best I’ve seen on the internet. 

He’s also 100% correct about everything no matter how much reality upsets superfans. 

Oh we all recognize it's a tactic, and not actually any effort to actually discuss things.   Sometimes it's better to be a Stuporfan like you guys.   

3 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Which makes sense considering they usually bring in 34 year old Pujols and washed up Josh Hamilton/Vernon Wells/Joe Blanton types. 

All of the contracts you mention were at least six years ago. 

If you’re really against FA signings, you should be thrilled with their current management.