• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Andrew Heaney cautiously optimistic about rehab

ANAHEIM — Andrew Heaney is, unfortunately for him and the Angels, an expert on rehabbing an injury.

So, after the Angels’ lefty played catch for the third straight day, without feeling any discomfort in his shoulder, he had an idea what to make of it.

Nothing.

“Not quite where I wanted to be, but getting there,” Heaney said on Saturday. “I’ve dealt with this kind of (stuff) a lot, so I know how it goes. I know not to get excited about good days. I know not to get down on bad days. I know not to push too hard. I don’t know how long it will take to progress. I’m hoping it’s pretty close. But I’m feeling good.”

Heaney hasn’t pitched since July 16. He isn’t sure what the timeframe is for him to return, even though he doesn’t feel like the injury is serious.

For the past few days, he’s played catch, just throwing with a fastball grip. He has not done any long toss or thrown breaking balls.

“It sounds crazy, but two weeks of not throwing and you do lose some strength,” he said. “We’re working on mobility and getting the range (of motion) back, but you’ve got to get the strength back. Otherwise you’re just going to run into the same problem again.”

Besides continuing his rehab, Heaney oversaw the second annual Pup Cup on Saturday. His charity 5K run attracted about 250 participants, he said, which was about 50 more than last year. The event raises money for the therapy dog program at Children’s Hospital of Orange County.

DAILY PITCHING SHUFFLE

Still trying to adjust their pitching staff in the wake of Thursday’s 16-inning game, the Angels swapped two spots on their roster on Saturday.

Noé Ramírez was placed on the injured list with what the team called a  viral infection. Ramírez said he woke up feeling sick at 3:30 a.m. on Thursday. He was not at the park for that night’s marathon game. Although he returned on Friday, he got worse and was sent home during the game. He did not report to the park on Saturday.

Ramírez hadn’t pitched in several days, so his IL stint is retroactive to Wednesday, meaning he’ll be eligible to be activated next Saturday.

Because the Angels placed a player on the injured list, they were able to recall Dillon Peters sooner that 10 days after he’d been optioned. Peters, who started last Sunday in Seattle, got the call and was penciled in to start on Saturday night.

The Angels also optioned Nick Tropeano, who pitched on Friday night, and recalled José Rodriguez, who was making his debut on a big league roster. Rodriguez filled the 40-man roster spot vacated by Adalberto Mejia.

Rodriguez, 23, was originally signed by the Angels out of Venezuela in 2012. In his minor league career, he has a 4.72 ERA over 141 games, including 105 starts.

This season Rodriguez has a 6.75 ERA, in Double-A and Triple-A. His biggest assets are that he has thrown as many as 60 pitches and he’s struck out 63 in 52 innings this season. The Angels needed multi-inning bullpen coverage, to rest some of their relievers from work earlier in the week.

ALSO

JC Ramírez (Tommy John surgery) is scheduled for one more rehab outing at Class-A Inland Empire on Sunday. He said he’s scheduled to throw 20 pitches. Ramírez is expected to be added to the Angels active roster on Tuesday, and used out of the bullpen…

Jonathan Lucroy (broken nose, concussion) was set to play seven innings at catcher on Saturday night for Inland Empire, and then again on Tuesday. He is then expected to be activated when the Angels begin a trip in Cleveland on Friday…

Andrelton Simmons was out of the lineup for the third time since the All-Star break. In the previous two, he ended up playing seven and eight innings. He replaced an injured Mike Trout in one game, and ended up playing the last half of the 16-inning game on Thursday.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Félix Peña, 8-3, 4.82) vs. Orioles (RHP Dylan Bundy, 5-11, 5.14), 1:07 p.m., Fox Sports West

View the full article