• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What is Kole Calhoun actually worth this trade deadline ?

I consider Trout, Simba, and Kole as the heart and soul of the team. Somehow someway trade Upton and give Kole a extension. Adell, Trout, and Calhoun give me that boner you guys are always talking about. 

Yea, you may have to eat some of Upton’s contract but you can save money by giving Calhoun a three year extension and paying Adell the minimum. 

standing ovation applause GIF by The Maury Show

5 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I consider Trout, Simba, and Kole as the heart and soul of the team. Somehow someway trade Upton and give Kole a extension. Adell, Trout, and Calhoun give me that boner you guys are always talking about. 

Yea, you may have to eat some of Upton’s contract but you can save money by giving Calhoun a three year extension and paying Adell the minimum. 

This is literally missing for the forest for the trees...while looking at the trees with fogged up glasses.

Calhoun's offense is barely above average this season. He was a disaster last season. Between 2015-2017 and this season, he's never really been exceptional offensively. He's at best a slightly above league average bat. Two seasons since 2015 he's been below average at the plate. In short, he just isn't that good AND he's about to turn 32, so he isn't likely to even keep this level up much longer, let alone improve. 

His defense is starting to show signs of falling off, and considering that was his major selling point, that's worrisome. 

Upton is roughly the same age, but he has never been worse at the plate than slightly above league average. In WAR, Upton is comfortably ahead. If you're betting on who will be worth keeping the next three seasons? It's Upton without even thinking twice. 

The notion of trading Upton to keep Calhoun just makes no sense at all. That is sentiment at the cost of winning. If you want the Angels to be successful, don't let nostalgia get in the way.

On 7/24/2019 at 3:34 PM, Sean-Regan said:

This is literally missing for the forest for the trees...while looking at the trees with fogged up glasses.

Calhoun's offense is barely above average this season. He was a disaster last season. Between 2015-2017 and this season, he's never really been exceptional offensively. He's at best a slightly above league average bat. Two seasons since 2015 he's been below average at the plate. In short, he just isn't that good AND he's about to turn 32, so he isn't likely to even keep this level up much longer, let alone improve. 

His defense is starting to show signs of falling off, and considering that was his major selling point, that's worrisome. 

Upton is roughly the same age, but he has never been worse at the plate than slightly above league average. In WAR, Upton is comfortably ahead. If you're betting on who will be worth keeping the next three seasons? It's Upton without even thinking twice. 

The notion of trading Upton to keep Calhoun just makes no sense at all. That is sentiment at the cost of winning. If you want the Angels to be successful, don't let nostalgia get in the way.

Except you’re trading Upton for Adell who is probably better suited for LF imo. Getting out of Upton’s contract saves us big dollars ? over the next few years. 

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I was curious so I texted a few execs from other teams (that wouldn’t be interested in him, so they’re theoretically unbiased).

One said the Angels might get a mid level prospect. Another said he didn’t think there’d be much market for him because most teams want pitching.

I also heard that he’d be viewed as a rental because of his age and option number for next year. 

I could be wrong, but I feel pretty confident Kole will be here on Aug 1. 

As for opening day next year? Not as sure but my guess would be no. 

Another replied and thought even less of his trade value. 

Looks to me like the potential return for trading him is not worth the message it sends to the current clubhouse that you’ve given up, especially in light of how well they’ve played under difficult circumstances for the past month. 

Their chances may be slim, but give the guys a chance. They have lots of head to head games left with the teams they are chasing. 

Angels considered to be a "bubble team" by MLB.com:

For 5 bubble clubs, this week is critical

https://www.mlb.com/news/teams-on-the-trade-deadline-bubble

All of us -- even owners, executives and managers -- tend to see their teams for what they believe in their heart they can be instead of what they have been for the last four months.

If you ran these five teams, what would you do? Here’s a look at five teams still on the bubble as time winds down. And these decisions are tougher than ever this year now that there is just one Trade Deadline.

(All postseason odds are via FanGraphs.)

5. Angels (52-49)

Playoff chances: 2.1%.

Trade chips: Right fielder Kole Calhoun and a solid pool of prospects.

Bottom line: Top prospect Jo Adell -- ranked No. 4 overall in the Minors -- is untouchable as general manager Billy Eppler works to upgrade his rotation and give his team a chance to enter September with its playoff hopes alive. His problem is that there aren’t enough starting pitchers available to satisfy all of the teams in the market, and Eppler is unlikely to make a deal that would deplete an improving Minor League system.

Prediction: Definitely not selling. Hunting for bargains.

59 minutes ago, stormngt said:

We got Buttrey and  for half a season of Kinsler.  We got Rengrifro for Cron.

I dont get why Calhoun get get something similar.  

I’d think a Buttrey type of arm is possible if a team is in need of a RF and has that type of prospect to give up.   As for Rengifo for Cron, entirely different as Cron has more controllable years at less of a price tag.  Also he’s younger. 

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d think a Buttrey type of arm is possible if a team is in need of a RF and has that type of prospect to give up.   As for Rengifo for Cron, entirely different as Cron has more controllable years at less of a price tag.  Also he’s younger. 

Cron had a good year and only kept him 1.

Kole Calhoun may never be worth a much as he is this week.

And, YES - as a prior post mentions -- the Giants would be a good fit for him.

Could we get Bumgarner in return and extend him with a two year deal?  That would help us.

Not sure if the Halos could / would be willing to pay what it would take to extend Bumgarner and if they could - the SF Giants would likely be able to match and exceed any Halos offer and extend him.  I think Bumgarner wants one more big F/A pay day and he could get it. Some team (Yankees?) would over-pay for him as a  F/A.

1 minute ago, disarcina said:

Could we get Bumgarner in return and extend him with a two year deal?  That would help us.

If he was ever that cheap (he wasn’t), he isn’t now. And if for some reason the Angels traded for him, there is zero reason he would extend before free agency, and less chance of that that he signs for two years. 

I'd be surprised if Kole Calhoun is traded.

The Angels arent out of it. His value is questionable.  He's gonna be a free agent. 

I dont even think if they were offered someone similar to Buttrey, they'd  pull the trigger. We know Buttrey is legit... now.  We didnt when the trade was made.  

Edited by ScottT

If the angels do their job vs Detroit and Baltimore then they shouldn’t trade him. They won’t anyway. If for some reason they did, his market is limited. The best we get is a prospect in someone’s 25-30 range. Maybe someone like Eric Haase from Cleveland. Major league ready catcher. Probably a platoon guy. 

Hes probably more valuable in the off season when hope is restored for more teams. They could pick up the option and eat 5 mil to get a better prospect but they won’t do that either. 

I like kole, but this is his last year here. A platoon of Goodwin and someone else will hold Adell’s place till mid April.

10 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I was curious so I texted a few execs from other teams (that wouldn’t be interested in him, so they’re theoretically unbiased).

One said the Angels might get a mid level prospect. Another said he didn’t think there’d be much market for him because most teams want pitching.

I also heard that he’d be viewed as a rental because of his age and option number for next year. 

I could be wrong, but I feel pretty confident Kole will be here on Aug 1. 

As for opening day next year? Not as sure but my guess would be no. 

This post should have ended the thread but here we are.