• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

"David Fletcher is an outlier. His contact ability is otherworldly, unmatched by anyone in baseball."

krAbs

10 minutes ago, Taylor said:

David Fletcher is a more successful version of Reggie Willits.

Fletcher has already hit 5 or 6 hr’s in his first year. Not sure Reggie could hit a hr if they were playing on a little league field. Reggie tried bunting a large amount of his ab’s.

If baseball were full of Fletchers, the game would be much more exciting.  You wonder why they're not bringing in new fans, it's because you sit around for 3 hours waiting for someone to hit the ball 400 feet off a pitcher throwing 95.  An era ago, it was the opposite, which was more fun to watch. 

The year I spent in Japan, was the most entertaining year of baseball I've had in my entire life.

Fletcher really is a throwback. In decades of the past every team tried to have his kind of talent template at the top of the lineup. Excellent contact hitter, patient, smart, some power. The only thing different is that he isn't a speed merchant. In the past, stolen bases were much more valued and a big part of lineup construction and team philosophy. 

Not just stolen bases, mind you. First to third, bunting skills, infield hit potential, also slap hitting the opposing way.

Seeing number one and two hitters choking up on the bat situationally was the norm. In this era of radical shifts it boggles my mind why we don't see more intentional effort to go the other way. Not a hard skill to master.

If analytics try to profile every player for every tendency then why not screw the scouting reports and cross them up by going against the profile? 

I absolutely hate to romanticize one era over another, but there are objective facts and subjective judgments that differentiate how this (and all other) sport is played.

In my opinion, the steroid phenomenon really twisted how baseball was approached. Power has been a fan attraction since Babe Ruth. But power hitters were just one type of player, and were blended with others having varied skill sets. 

The Mantle/Maris 1961 attack on Ruth's record galvanized fan excitement, but it didn't start any widespread trend. In fact, even in that decade you had the spray hitting pitching/speed Dodgers beating the Yankees in the World Series. Then the well balanced, hustling Cardinals the next year. All leading  to 'the year of the pitcher' in 1968.

That was the polar opposite extreme of today's game, but didn't last long. I think the game in the seventies through early nineties was well balanced and fun to watch, though free agency altered the landscape of team building. 

The steroid phenomenon tilted things too far towards the prioritizing of home runs and away from more diverse strategies. But it excited fans so therefore that mindset remained in place, and gets more extreme each year. And bigger, stronger players occupy more roster spots than they used to. 

Back to Fletcher and the Angels. 

Next to Trout (and possibly Ohtani) he is the most important batter in the lineup. The classic 'table setter' as they used to say. His defensive versatility and steadiness is also valuable in a day by day basis. 

I still see a lot of upside as well, because he is really just into his second year. 

2 hours ago, Dick Enberg said:

Fletcher is just pure action. Guy can do so much! 

Off topic but this quote really reminded me of a game probably 10 years ago vs TOR. Aybar gets a double and Hudler says "man I just love the way Aybar plays, always in action!" Physioc says "Wow Hud I think you just came up with a great nickname for him. Action Aybar!"

Hudler- "Hmm I don't know, I think we could come up with something better."

Physioc: "Oh okay. How about....AybAARGGH! He's a pirate!"

*awakward silence*

Hudler- "Uhh I don't think so."

Haha still cracks me up

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

If baseball were full of Fletchers, the game would be much more exciting.  You wonder why they're not bringing in new fans, it's because you sit around for 3 hours waiting for someone to hit the ball 400 feet off a pitcher throwing 95.  An era ago, it was the opposite, which was more fun to watch. 

The year I spent in Japan, was the most entertaining year of baseball I've had in my entire life.

To add to your comment. The stupid shift would have never worked 20 years ago either.

8 minutes ago, kj_maestro said:

Off topic but this quote really reminded me of a game probably 10 years ago vs TOR. Aybar gets a double and Hudler says "man I just love the way Aybar plays, always in action!" Physioc says "Wow Hud I think you just came up with a great nickname for him. Action Aybar!"

Hudler- "Hmm I don't know, I think we could come up with something better."

Physioc: "Oh okay. How about....AybAARGGH! He's a pirate!"

*awakward silence*

Hudler- "Uhh I don't think so."

Haha still cracks me up

OK. on that note, what is a pirate's favorite letter?

Tis be the C.

Just now, Mark PT said:

To add to your comment. The stupid shift would have never worked 20 years ago either.

You're absolutely right about that. Even going back as far as Ted Williams, they would shift on him from time to time, and when that happened, without fail he'd slap it down the line.

There's no doubt in my mind that today's players are just flat out better than previous generations. But the way there game is played now... And the lack of fan excitement for the game today ... It's just hard to watch, that's all.

19 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

At some point we have to look at these guys as trade assets. Is Fletcher worth more to the Angels as a player, or what he can bring in a trade? Eppler definitely needs to explore the option. 

He may be one of those guys that holds more value as a player to the team, but you gotta at least explore.

You don't consider trading Fletcher until the Angels have a better sense of how good Will Wilson will be, and/or when we get closer to his free agency in 2025. He's just too damn useful.

I suppose there's a scenario where Rengifo becomes even better and one of Ward or Thaiss starts hitting major league pitching, but even then Fletcher becomes a super-sub. As it stands he's been the best of the bunch so far. That can change, but I wouldn't consider moving him until it does - and even then he's going to be useful for years to come. He's pretty much every manager's dream roster piece.

7 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

not even remotely like reggie willits.  

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

That's a lazy comp.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Haha, Taylor's a dumbass.

For some reason, I was trying to think of a similar comparison, a contact hitter with little power and good plate discipline, and Reggie Willits came to mind.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

You don't consider trading Fletcher until the Angels have a better sense of how good Will Wilson will be, and/or when we get closer to his free agency in 2025. He's just too damn useful.

I suppose there's a scenario where Rengifo becomes even better and one of Ward or Thaiss starts hitting major league pitching, but even then Fletcher becomes a super-sub. As it stands he's been the best of the bunch so far. That can change, but I wouldn't consider moving him until it does - and even then he's going to be useful for years to come. He's pretty much every manager's dream roster piece.

I think if he brings in a #2 starter you absolutely have to do it. I'd rather keep him, honestly, but isn't that how most trades work? 

We don't have a whole lot of assets. We desperately need pitching.