• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noe Ramírez (3 games, appealing) and Brad Ausmus (1 game, will serve 7/17) suspended

mmc

12 minutes ago, RBM said:

Same penalty for the guy who hit Freese last night after Beaty’s HR. Time to move on, play ball!

Yes it is, but that doesnt change that Marisnick got off with a slap on the wrist. 
Beat them on the field, send them into another closed door meeting, win the game not the pissing contest . 

while I am not sure If I agree with the parameters, it's clear that what Noe did was premeditated and what Marisnick did wasn't.  

Noe could have sent the same message by erring on the side of caution and hitting him on the thigh instead of the back or ribs.  Instead, he was dangerously close to his head.  Even if that wasn't intended, it could have been avoided.  

We also have realize that part of what MLB has done here is to try and make this stop.  Hence the quick ruling.  It took them several days to rule on Marisnick yet less than 24 hrs to decide on Noe.  They didn't wait for Cole to take it into his hands tonight and if he does, he'll get a substantially larger suspension.  

MLB is the united nations whereas players handle politics like third world nations.  This should be over now as they've smartly taken the counter play out of the players hands.  

My first thought - focusing mostly on results and comparison of the suspensions - is that this pisses me off. 

After thinking about it, I’m okay with it. My understanding of it:

From MLB’s perspective, it doesn’t matter if it was intentional - under the circumstances, the other team will view it as intentional, so even an accidental HBP that smells like retaliation for a previous offense will result in a suspension. 

Suspending Ausmus is about letting managers know that retaliation will not be tolerated and they are responsible to keep their guys in line. 

Suspending Noe is about letting pitchers know that if they hit a player on the other team in the current circumstance it will be treated as retaliation by the league. And it serves as a warning for any other pitchers on either team who might think of ‘evening the scales’: You’d better keep command of your pitching or else. 

As far as the disparity in suspensions, it really comes down to roles: Noe isn’t going to play three days in a row. Probably won’t play more than one out of three. Everyday players typically play at least 2/3 games. 

Only part I’m not happy about is Marisnick only getting two games. It seems light, but if it’s considered an accident, results aside, it’s not egregious. Noe’s reeks of retaliation even if it wasn’t intended to be and is punished more severely as a result (most of the time, there obviously wouldn’t be any discipline for a HBP).

43 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

while I am not sure If I agree with the parameters, it's clear that what Noe did was premeditated and what Marisnick did wasn't.  

Marisnick targeted Lucroy like a SAM missile up the ass of a THUD. Every step he took was to put himself in Lucroys grill and put an NFL hit on him, it is all bullshit to say that wasn't his intention. 

This was a classic baseball tradition. First intimidating act meets retaliation. The first act was deemed illegal, hence the two game suspension.

And the first act caused serious injury and deprived the Angels of a starting player for around a month. The retaliation caused no injury or lost time.

Was there intention? 

It's professional baseball, with built in codes and dynamics. This was expected by everyone on the Astros. At worst, a one game symbolic suspension. And why Asmus? The retaliatory act is almost automatic. Not a secret command. 

Why not a suspension for the yapping Astro bench provocation and their manager? They escalated the incident.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Marisnick targeted Lucroy like a SAM missile up the ass of a THUD. Every step he took was to put himself in Lucroys grill and put an NFL hit on him, it is all bullshit to say that wasn't his intention. 

while I've generally sided toward your opinion, this statement makes you seem dumb.  

43 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

There are like 7 different Marisnick threads but this article will go over well on an Angels message board 

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/astros-jake-marisnick-doesnt-play-villain-role-well-because-he-isnt-the-bad-guy-045553020.html

Tim and I — two people who are not fans of the Angels or Astros but talk to a lot of baseball players — agree on this. 

Ok so he’s not a bad guy. He made the reckless choice to move in the direction from which the ball was coming. He knew this before he left third base. The result of this accident that was caused by his poor choice is a player in the hospital and out of commission. He apologized and he feels real bad. He got plunked and went about his business. Not the bad guy but the catalyst for other bad guys. 

Joe Torre gave a two game suspension for “accidentally “ putting a player on the IL and giving him facial surgery. Then gives 3 games to a guy who almost hit him in the head but really didn’t even come that close. Actual damage gets 2 games. Perceived potential damage gets 3. Bad guy making a decision that makes no sense 

8 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Ok so he’s not a bad guy. He made the reckless choice to move in the direction from which the ball was coming. He knew this before he left third base. The result of this accident that was caused by his poor choice is a player in the hospital and out of commission. He apologized and he feels real bad. He got plunked and went about his business. Not the bad guy but the catalyst for other bad guys. 

Joe Torre gave a two game suspension for “accidentally “ putting a player on the IL and giving him facial surgery. Then gives 3 games to a guy who almost hit him in the head but really didn’t even come that close. Actual damage gets 2 games. Perceived potential damage gets 3. Bad guy making a decision that makes no sense 

Or, they gave a 2-game suspension to someone who has played in 75 percent of his team’s games and a 3-game suspension to someone who has played in 33 percent of his team’s games. If Heaney would have hit Marisnick intentionally he’d have gotten a 5-game suspension. 

It was also pointed out to me that Marisnick was the first player ever suspended for a home plate collision.

10 hours ago, m0nkey said:

There are like 7 different Marisnick threads but this article will go over well on an Angels message board 

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/astros-jake-marisnick-doesnt-play-villain-role-well-because-he-isnt-the-bad-guy-045553020.html

Author should probably look up the actual meaning of "undeniably", as in "undeniably an accident."

Dead horses and all - never thought he was a bad guy, he immediately regretted it, and he's been a gentlemen at every turn - but that last-second deviation in his path, the fact he launched himself *at* the catcher, not the plate, that he didn't "slide" as he claimed - he violated every part of the rule designed to prevent this incidents - so "accident" is very much "deniable."  Calling it an accident absolves him of all of the above - all the things he did wrong that led up to the collision.  

Much like an angry drunk getting behind the wheel and killing several youngsters when he ran a red light and t-boned their car - that wasn't an "accident" either.

51 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Or, they gave a 2-game suspension to someone who has played in 75 percent of his team’s games and a 3-game suspension to someone who has played in 33 percent of his team’s games. If Heaney would have hit Marisnick intentionally he’d have gotten a 5-game suspension. 

It was also pointed out to me that Marisnick was the first player ever suspended for a home plate collision.

So the moral of the story is if you can convince ol’ Joe that you’re real sorry then it’s open season on catchers’  faces