Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! We're Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

  • AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Trade Talk- What would you give up?


Recommended Posts

I figured we could use a thread like this to play make believe GMs.  So I will get this started.

What would you be willing to give up to get Noah Syndergaard?  Having a down year this year, but the previous three years he had ERAs at 3 or less.  He isn’t a free agent until 2022, arb eligible until then.  He is going to cost a ton, so what would you give up for him?  Would we be in the ballpark with Marsh, Suarez, Chris Rodriguez, Maitan and Ward?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't do it.  No guarantee that he would be better than Suarez and hes controllable for two more years than Syndergaard at least.

In general I am against most trades that deplete the talent, but at least for someone like Syndergaard you are getting controllable years.

Any trades that are just aimed at this year would be a serious mistake IMO.  Angels are behind 4 teams for the second WC spot, and just don't have the pitching to match up in the playoffs.  Can't get to where they would need to be with just one pitcher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nate said:

I wouldn't do it.  No guarantee that he would be better than Suarez and hes controllable for two more years than Syndergaard at least.

In general I am against most trades that deplete the talent, but at least for someone like Syndergaard you are getting controllable years.

Any trades that are just aimed at this year would be a serious mistake IMO.  Angels are behind 4 teams for the second WC spot, and just don't have the pitching to match up in the playoffs.  Can't get to where they would need to be with just one pitcher.

Right, I would only do this deal because he is controllable for another year.  I get what you are saying about Suarez, but man this league is about stuff, and Syndergaard has much better stuff than Suarez.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nate said:

I wouldn't do it.  No guarantee that he would be better than Suarez and hes controllable for two more years than Syndergaard at least.

In general I am against most trades that deplete the talent, but at least for someone like Syndergaard you are getting controllable years.

Any trades that are just aimed at this year would be a serious mistake IMO.  Angels are behind 4 teams for the second WC spot, and just don't have the pitching to match up in the playoffs.  Can't get to where they would need to be with just one pitcher.

Nothing is guaranteed. But I think we can agree it is significantly more likely that Syndergaard will be better. He is also more marketable.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jinzu said:

For comparison, here’s Gerrit Cole’s trade return: https://www.mlb.com/news/pirates-net-4-players-in-trade-of-gerrit-cole-c264681718

I don’t think we have the prospects not named Adell to make this trade. 

A roughly similar package would be Suarez, Thaiss, Bedrosian and Marsh, who correspond with Musgrove, Moran, Feliz, Martin.

That would hurt by it would be tempting...if a deeper look into Syndergaard's numbers points to a rebound. I'm not so sure about that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Sell high on Calhoun 

and he has a manageable option teams can pick up 

we’re just buying time for Adell

I agree that Calhoun could be used in a package to land a starter since he's pace to hit 30+ HR along with amazing defense in RF, with a canon for an arm too. That said, we may need him if we're wanting to go on a run too, so there's that. 

Anyhow, I would see if the Tigers would bite on this type of deal for Matt Boyd. 

Brandon Marsh, Jose Suarez, Jesus Castillo and Taylor Ward (now has 20 HR and a 1.011 OPS)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I agree that Calhoun could be used in a package to land a starter since he's pace to hit 30+ HR along with amazing defense in RF, with a canon for an arm too. That said, we may need him if we're wanting to go on a run too, so there's that. 

Anyhow, I would see if the Tigers would bite on this type of deal for Matt Boyd. 

Brandon Marsh, Jose Suarez, Jesus Castillo and Taylor Ward (now has 20 HR and a 1.011 OPS)

In my opinion that is too much to give up for a guy that is having his first good year and is 28 years old.  I may not be too high on Suarez but I am high enough on him to not include him in a deal like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Syndergaard is fantastic, but I'm not sure the Angels have the pieces to pull off that trade without seriously diminishing their future on the field product. But a baseline offer would probably have to be Marsh, Suarez, Thaiss and a Hector Yan type.

That's nothing the Angels couldn't rebound from longterm, but I also think they'd be selling low. Marsh hasn't had the breakout year he's capable of yet. But he will. The kid is too strong, too athletic not to. And Thaiss could develop into a solid starting 3B. His value hasn't peaked yet either. Suarez is better than we've seen and Yan is still very young. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

In my opinion that is too much to give up for a guy that is having his first good year and is 28 years old.  I may not be too high on Suarez but I am high enough on him to not include him in a deal like this.

The more I see of Suarez the more I see a future Jose Alavarez type out of the pen, not a starter. Boyd is only 28 and can make a difference this season and next. He's got knock out stuff.

We may have to include Thaiss, but whatever. This team needs pitching bad. Not just this season, but going forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Syndergaard is just a little too dicey with his health and production. The Angels could roll the dice and sign Wacha, Odorizzi, Wood, or Pineda in the offseason and probably get comparable production - won’t come anywhere close to Thor’s ceiling. Of course, that money makes Cole less likely. 

I think the real pitching target is someone we can’t really forecast. Jake Junis. Kyle Freeland. Vince Velasquez. Luis Perdomo. Daniel Norris. Try and find this year’s Boyd or Giolito a year early.  Look at last year’s trade for Odorizzi. Someone who isn’t going to cost a huge prospect haul but Eppler’s data suggests they can fix them. That’s how he’s targeted all of his pitching to date, and while there’s big missed and big wins, he usually isn’t exchanging much in return for them. This time, he may actually have a legit prospect or two he can spare which might help bring back an arm with more bankable upside. 

And then big efforts in FA.

Edited by totdprods
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Eppler’s contract runs out at the end of the season. His decisions at the trade deadline may be part of a plan with his decisions in the off season.

What’s the fricking holdup? Extend him! 

Billy has an option in his contract for 2020. I'd be willing to bet he will get an extension soon. 

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/18/angels-owner-arte-moreno-addresses-teams-payroll-stadium-and-gm-billy-eppler/

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NeverOver said:

Billy has an option in his contract for 2020. I'd be willing to bet he will get an extension soon. 

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/18/angels-owner-arte-moreno-addresses-teams-payroll-stadium-and-gm-billy-eppler/

Hmm ? are you sure? Still no reason to prolong getting something done in writing  before the trade deadline or even soon after the deadline. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Syndergaard seems like a similar situation to Cole as mentioned.  

I think the Mets are gonna want major league ready talent.  

We don't have that available high end pitching prospect close enough to entice a lot of teams unless someone is in love with Suarez.  

But if I'm them, I'd want Canning and Rengifo to get the conversation started.  

If they'd consider Suarez, Thaiss, Marsh and a couple lower level guys then you'd have to think about it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...