• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

EARTHQUAKE

13 hours ago, wopphil said:

They say that when the San Andreas goes, it will rupture just east of Palm Springs. If a 7.5 were to hit there - about 100 miles away from Orange County - what kind of impact would it have? Would it be worse than Northridge, or similar to the Landers quake in 1992?

It wouldn't just rupture at a single point, it would start there and propagate up the fault, probably stopping somewhere near the grapevine or further north.  The size of the earthquake is related to how long the rupture is, the expected 7.8 is that scenario.  LA, South Bay, North Orange County would actually come out pretty bad because of the loose soil.  This link has videos of simulations but the last one is considered the most likely, 50 times stronger than the Northridge quake, violent shaking for 2 minutes in LA area:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-the-big-one-earthquake-video-20160504-story.html

"There have been more than 4,700 earthquakes since Thursday’s 6.4-magnitude event, according to John Bellini, a geophysicist with the USGS. 

“They are coming in every 30 second, every minute," he said.

Since Friday night's 7.1-magnitude quake, there have been three quakes with magnitudes of 5 or greater. Those three all occurred within the first hour after the 7.1 quake; one was a 5.5 magnitude and there were two 5.4 quakes."

Just got back down from the mountains in the San Gabriel mountains.  First, asked my buddies who were camping there since Wednesday if they felt the Thursday quake.  They said no.  Where I camp is pretty much bedrock.  Come Friday, I was relaxing in my cot, and definitely felt a slight swaying.  Nothing like what I felt on Wednesday at home.  As far as damage in the mountains.  Heard maybe one rock falling.  But other than that, nothing.  Although we were kind of worried about the flatlanders.  Since we have no cell or any kind of contact with the outside world.  It could have been the big one in LA, with everything destroyed, and we wouldn't have known.

• 10 months later...