• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols not retiring

Nothing says that he can't step away from playing after the 2019 season, and then have that remaining $59 million paid out over his 10 years personal services contract period, which would then be 2020-2029.   Interest on that $59 million wouldn't be THAT much over 10 years.

Or, nothing says that he can't step away from playing after the 2020 season, and then have that remaining $30 million paid out over his 10 years personal services contract period, which would then be 2021-2030.   Interest on that $30 million would be even less over 10 years.   He is looking decent enough that maybe one more year would work, except for losing for good the .300 career BA. 

5 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Nobody thinks he will "retire" early and forfeit any money....but if he is struggling to produce or physically or both, I think he might rework things on the remaining amount of his contract and his personal services deal with Arte and work in some capacity for the team.... that would look a lot better than a straight buy out of his remaining contract...this year he has been modestly productive and, more importantly, he's been healthy....we'll see how it plays out for 2 more years....

Why would he do that?  What player has ever done that that had $50 million+ left on their contract?

9 minutes ago, nate said:

Him announcing his retirement while in StL would be a pretty big F*ck you to the Angels.  He wouldn't do that.  I am sure he will take a 1 day contract with StL when his Angels playing contract runs out or he is released so he can retire as a Cardinal.

LOL talk about a giant F*ck you to the Angels.

As far as his personal services contract goes, you guys need to give that up as a negotiation. MLB slammed that door hard after Pujols signed his contract and they are not about to allow his current salary deferred into personal services. That would release the Angels from total payroll liability of the remaining money owed and every team would scream foul. 

1 hour ago, nate said:

Why would he do that?  What player has ever done that that had $50 million+ left on their contract?

Nobody is saying he won't get paid....he will....period....I said if he isn't producing or can't go physically, he might collect his money in another capacity....graceful way out....why is that hard to understand?  Prince Fielder retired because he couldn't go physically with more than 50 million owing....Difference with him is that he didn't have a personal services deal with his team...He just took his money...I think Texas maybe had insurance, Angels usually don't...the personal services deal, presumably, meant Pujols was going to stay with the team in some capacity...

34 minutes ago, Blarg said:

As far as his personal services contract goes, you guys need to give that up as a negotiation. MLB slammed that door hard after Pujols signed his contract and they are noy about to allow his current salary deferred into personal services. That would release the Angels from total payroll liability of the remaining money owed and every team would scream foul. 

I wasn't meaning it in that way.   They could simply pay him out his remaining money separately from the personal services contract.   No need to cheat the rules   

It would still count against the tax threshold, and to be honest it's not a huge deal anyway in my mind.   If Arte can't exceed his budget for only 1-2 seasons anyway to get someone like Cole in here (and then no big FA signings for several years), then is he truly wanting to win?    The farm is strong now, and the MLB team isn't very far away from being at least a 2nd WC contender.

How will the Astros pitching look in 2021?   Verlander will be 38.   Cole may be going elsewhere.   They'll still have a strong lineup, but possibly much more questionable pitching by 2021.    

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I wasn't meaning it in that way.   They could simply pay him out his remaining money separately from the personal services contract.   No need to cheat the rules   

It would still count against the tax threshold, and to be honest it's not a huge deal anyway in my mind.   If Arte can't exceed his budget for only 1-2 seasons anyway to get someone like Cole in here (and then no big FA signings for several years), then is he truly wanting to win?    The farm is strong now, and the MLB team isn't very far away from being at least a 2nd WC contender.

How will the Astros pitching look in 2021?   Verlander will be 38.   Cole may be going elsewhere.   They'll still have a strong lineup, but possibly much more questionable pitching by 2021.    

^^^This^^^^......Rolling his remaining years/salary in to the personal services deal won't help us with luxury tax...it would merely give Pujols a graceful way to exit, if he just isn't productive anymore....

So sick of this. PUJOLS is a piece of shit. No wonder west coast baseball is looked down upon by many writers. This last weekend was a joke. Might as well sucked Molinas dick in front of home plate. No wonder we can't get in the play offs, giant love fest comes first. Go a head, ask me how I really feel. 

10 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

It really depends on how much Albert values having a .300 career BA, and of course how his knees and feet are ultimately feeling at the end of the 2019 season.   He's now only 15 HRs from passing Mays for #5 on the all time HRs list. 

I am happy with his numbers so far in 2019, .757 OPS >>>>>> sub .700 OPS from 2017-2018.

Play him everyday at 1b until his knees give out.

3 hours ago, Dick Enberg said:

So sick of this. PUJOLS is a piece of shit. No wonder west coast baseball is looked down upon by many writers. This last weekend was a joke. Might as well sucked Molinas dick in front of home plate. No wonder we can't get in the play offs, giant love fest comes first. Go a head, ask me how I really feel. 

The interactions between Molina and Pujols did seem super gay. 

I wonder if Albert slept in Molina's game worn jersey that night?