• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marcus Stroman

I am much more interested in a potential trade for Stroman now. I don’t think we match up too well for Toronto, and Stroman is a FA after next year, but he seems like he’d be open to an extension should we deal for him, based on this.

Edited by totdprods

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If Suarez dazzles today in front of the Jays people, do you think they would do him and say someone like Castillo who has had a rebound year or Luis Madero for Stroman?

Hard to say. The teams match up so poorly as trade partners on paper, it’d be hard to speculate what would be needed to make it happen. They’re in such need for pitchers I’m assuming one of Barria, Suarez, or Sandoval would be required. 

From there, they might opt to go heavy on pitching lotto tickets and ask for another guy or two from our lower ranks and just hope they ‘win’ the deal in volume by acquiring two or three pitchers who make the bigs in some capacity. 

Could also see them being interested in Marsh, Knowles, Adams, Deveaux...they could use some outfield prospect depth but any of those plus one of our best 3 SP prospects starts bordering overpay for the Angels.

13 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Why would you trade a stud 6 year cost controlled pitcher for a stud pitcher that only has one more year on his contract and that's going to be a fat arbitration raise? 

There are so many potential SP targets with only 2020 under control (Stroman, Ray, Bauer) that my guess is if the Angels pursue one of them, both the team and player will expect some serious efforts at an extension/re-signing. As we saw last year, they were prepared to throw some money at FA SPs in their pursuit of Corbin, Eovaldi, and Happ. 

I can't imagine any deal involving a frontline SP, regardless of control, that wouldn't involve at least one of Barria, Suarez, or Sandoval. 

Again, I come back to Boyd - the Tigers are so heavy on MLB-ready SP prospects, that might be the one potential frontline arm available with a lot of control, that he might not cost the Angels one of their top SP prospects. Or we look at guys like Greinke or Bumgarner, where position player prospects might be enough due to the control/salary involved.

I know it seems counter intuitive to deal SP prospects right now, but if we're acquiring a SP in that trade, getting Ohtani back next year, signing a FA SP this offseason, and graduating  2-3 of the Canning/Barria/Suarez/Sandoval quartet remaining to the MLB rotation...on top of Skaggs, Heaney, Pena...we're in good shape.

Edited by totdprods

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

on top of Skaggs, Heaney, Pena...we're in good shape.

I'm really tired of hearing, "Skaggs, Heaney" year after year, but if we're talking #4, #5 I guess I can live with it.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm really tired of hearing, "Skaggs, Heaney" year after year, but if we're talking #4, #5 I guess I can live with it.

Both have pitched a little better than their ERA/record reflects. They're fine heading up the back of the rotation. 

Still think it'd be worth shopping Skaggs this July though, especially if he reels off a few more good starts and the Angels slip from WC. 

The Angels won't trade Canning or Suarez. It took so long for this team to finally develop some young pitchers of their own with legitimate upside, guys that will legitimately be mid rotation starters (or better) for the next decade. Those two, along with Shohei Ohtani, will comprise the pitching core of this team for the foreseeable future, and to have to figure that some point, they will be joined by Jose Soriano and Chris Rodriguez (should he find a way to remain healthy).

Among the available starters, aside from their performance on the field, Eppler has a niche for finding guys that he can truly connect with and will fit in with the Trout and Pujols led clubhouse. Simmons, La Stella, Fletcher, Ohtani, Canning... they all belong and are like family here. Upton is more reserved emotionally, but him too I think. So when I look at guys like Trevor Bauer, and Gerrit Cole, I'm not so sure that's who Eppler wil target. 

Marcus Stroman seems much more likely. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Why would you trade a stud 6 year cost controlled pitcher for a stud pitcher that only has one more year on his contract and that's going to be a fat arbitration raise? 

Because TRADEZZZZ!

What's the point of being a frustrated message board GM if you can't come up with internet trades.?

Trading a pitcher for a pitcher is to me a lateral move, even if an upgrade.  I wouldnt trade Suarez for him right now, were not in win now mode to justify that.   We need both.
The problem i see with /Stroman though is that we just dont match up well with TOR.  They are deeper than we are on the farm and have almost every position covered, especially those where we have strength.   About the only thing their top 10 list doesnt have is 1B, maybe someone to go along with that Guerrero, Bichette, Biggio infield so they can bump Smoak to DH... then again Tellez is only 24 so... meh, i hate to say it but i just dont see it unless we overpay. Damn they could be really good here soon. 

44 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Among the available starters, aside from their performance on the field, Eppler has a niche for finding guys that he can truly connect with and will fit in with the Trout and Pujols led clubhouse. Simmons, La Stella, Fletcher, Ohtani, Canning... they all belong and are like family here. Upton is more reserved emotionally, but him too I think. So when I look at guys like Trevor Bauer, and Gerrit Cole, I'm not so sure that's who Eppler wil target. 

Do you honestly think Matt Harvey or Ian Kinsler fit that category?

Looking deeper, I can see the Jays having interest in guys like Adams, Jackson, Deveaux, Knowles...the Rookie Ball to Burlington wave.

Barria and Suarez might be *too* MLB-ready for them. 

I think they’re gonna take it slowly, let their current wave of hitting prospects mature the next year or two, at which point Suarez and Barria will be burning through their cheapest years. 

They have a lot of prospects, especially arms, lining up for a 2022 ETA, so maybe we could build a package more around lower-level guys - just might take more quality or quantity to balance out the Jays’ risk taking players that far.

Edited by totdprods

Stroman is good, but before this year he has had one season where is WAR was above a 2.  This year it is already at 2.  I would love to have him without subtracting from the rotation.  That may not be possible, in which case I would absolutely consider Suarez, but I would rather give up someone we haven’t seen yet.  

I wouldn’t call Stroman an ace, but he’s verifiably really good. He’s still young, only really had one bad year, last year, but has pitched really good despite being in the AL East. Yeah, his size and stuff might not lend to a real ‘stud’ or ‘ace’, but those groundball tendencies, our defense, the AL West might point him to a few good seasons consistent with what you’d want from a #2-3.

Tough for Suarez to meet that. Tough for Barria to meet that. They’re cheaper and controlled, yeah, but everyone here is always griping a bunch of mid-rotation types won’t take us anywhere. Stroman might equal that definition over the whole of his career, but I bet there’s a couple seasons of frontline production in his near future still.