• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

War with Iran?

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Few counterpoints.

Iraq was touted as the 4th largest army in the world in 1991. Whereas yes, it had been bloodied in its war with Iran, it was still equipped with mostly the best money could buy at that point from the Soviets and French. And by day 3 they refused to fly anymore. And after a month of not being able to defend its skies, its army folded in about 48 hours. And this was after people had predicted 100s of thousands of casualties for coalition troops.

Iran on the other hand, has an air force and army whos best equipment was sold them, pre sanctions, by us.. So not only is it old, and tech generations past, but because of embargos, it hasnt been upgraded by the actual engineers of the manufacturers. More or less done redneck style to keep it working. Essentially think of a car from the 70s, upgraded with aftermarket parts, some of which youve made in your garage.

Their air force is so outdated compared to modern armies that they not only had to lie about a mockup plane (that experts could tell was fake on the ground, based on its shape and dimensions), but then they got caught with super elementary photoshop skills, trying to pretend it could fly.

Its not that their Army couldnt hurt us, or that they arent capable. Its just that they arent close to being on our level. Again, their army is (thanks to sanctions) stuck in the 70/80s. Their equipment being vintage of what Saddam had in 91. That was completely lopsided, and weve only gone up from there. They havent.

Syria has given them combat experience for sure. But that is basically with the benefit of Assads army (on par with their own) and Russian air power. Without those two factors, and against a modern army vs militia equipped with somewhat modern weapons, meh.... more than likely a whole new learning curve for them

I just don’t agree with this assessment of it TORS.  Like I said, look to the conflict in Lebanon with Hezbollah.  Obviously they are significantly outgunned in many ways - tho not as severely as you’re describing.  I just don’t think you’re looking at it through the correct prism.  In the event of conflict they won’t fight a pitched battle with us.   They’ll use the missiles and they’ll use the proxies.  To get at them we’d have to invade and that’s where the shit really hits the fan.  It’s just not like ‘91 at all.  Anyway. Hopefully for now we won’t have to find out.  

I just wonder what will happen with the nuclear development stuff.  The moderate voices in Iran who pursued the nuclear deal have been dealt a fatal blow by this exchange I fear.  It’s hard to imagine that the regime won’t be full blown committed to getting a nuclear weapon as quickly as possible now .

3 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I just don’t agree with this assessment of it TORS.  Like I said, look to the conflict in Lebanon with Hezbollah.  Obviously they are significantly outgunned in many ways - tho not as severely as you’re describing.  I just don’t think you’re looking at it through the correct prism.  In the event of conflict they won’t fight a pitched battle with us.   They’ll use the missiles and they’ll use the proxies.  To get at them we’d have to invade and that’s where the shit really hits the fan.  It’s just not like ‘91 at all.  Anyway. Hopefully for now we won’t have to find out.  

Keep in mind, with regards to Hezbollah, there is a completely different set of rules. Hezbollah is a faction of people in Lebanon... not even necessarily representing Lebanon. So when Israel invaded ,it was more akin to us in Fallujah (04) than invading Iraq proper (or Kuwait). We could have gone in and out of Fallujah without a scratch merely carpet bombing... but you cant do that. Much less Israel in Lebanon, because the arent at war with Lebanon, just certain people in it.

As far as a hypothetical war with us and Iran, yes, it would be bloody. Especially if we invaded. But, their Army couldnt simply ignore us, they woild have to fight. And they would be as outgunned in that as Iraq was in 91. Remember, pre Desert Storm, all anyone talked about were the Scuds. But unguided missiles dont do much good, at all, against mobile targets.

Now lets say instead of an Iraq invasion scenario, we were to conduct a Bosnian strategy. The Serbs were far better equipped than Iran. But they couldnt stop western air power either.

To clarify, in case im sending out the wrong message, Im not in any way suggesting we would have some sort of clean cut victory (much less suggesting we escalate). I completely agree any war with Iran would be another Iraq, years and years of struggling with an occupation, dealing with a new jihad rally call, and people killed and maimed. Absolutely. My take is merely in rating Irans actual uniformed Army. Forget what would come afterwards. I just see the conventional side of it being totally lopsided.

But agree with you, lets cross our fingers we dont find out.

15 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

What if the plane accidentally flew in front of one of the missiles they launched?

The plane was shot down at the same time they launched those missiles, so it's most likely the reason. That means Trump decided to kill over 200 people because he got impeached. Unbelievable.

19 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

It's not funny. People are dead because of the actions of that toddler in the white house.

You think trump was able to arrange a civilian flight, from Iran to Ukraine, that flew directly over a missile battery, that shoots straight up?

Crazy that hed know when and where the missile would be shot from... and was able to arrange a flight at that exact moment.... where a moving object flying in one direction, was intercepted by another flying in an opposite one.

If hes able to pull of witchcraft like that, hes got my vote.

14 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

You think trump was able to arrange a civilian flight, from Iran to Ukraine, that flew directly over a missile battery, that shoots straight up?

Crazy that hed know when and where the missile would be shot from... and was able to arrange a flight at that exact moment.... where a moving object flying in one direction, was intercepted by another flying in an opposite one.

If hes able to pull of witchcraft like that, hes got my vote.

I was thinking more like what happened when Russia shot down that plane over Ukraine. I'm guessing Iran mistook the plane for a hostile aircraft or missile and used their air defense against it by mistake. 

2 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

I was thinking more like what happened when Russia shot down that plane over Ukraine. I'm guessing Iran mistook the plane for a hostile aircraft or missile and used their air defense against it by mistake. 

Ok, thats a lot more believable. I thought you were honestly considering my dumb magic BB scenario.

32 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ok, thats a lot more believable. I thought you were honestly considering my dumb magic BB scenario.

Sadly, I've heard news anchors, and military analysts on all day seemingly seriously considering just that - that the plane was hit by outbound ballistic missiles - for example, the English general that said it was unlikely the plane flew over the ballistic missile launching site at the precise moment they launched, thus knocking it out of the sky.  Therefore, it *must* be mechanical failure.  Uh, *no* that's not the only two choices .... 

Failing entirely to consider the possibility that it was, perhaps, an overreaction by an Iranian SAM operator, who thought the 737 was a cruise missile.   Someone posted a pic of what certainly appeared to be the blown-off seeker of a 9m331 interceptor, claiming it was found near the crash site.  Maybe a hoax, maybe not - I mean, not something you just find in a yard sale.  And it really seems far more likely than a mammoth coincidence of an uncontained engine failure on the very day Iranian air defenses were certainly on high-alert, expecting a counter-punch.  

Sometimes I hear these experts on tv and I just want to punch myself 😐  

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

That means Trump decided to kill over 200 people because he got impeached. Unbelievable.

This wording is what has people calling you a literal retard.

"Trump decided to kill over 200 people"

"Trump decided"

"decided"

This implies killing these people on the plane was a premeditated and intentional act. 

Jesus..

12 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

This wording is what has people calling you a literal retard.

"Trump decided to kill over 200 people"

"Trump decided"

"decided"

This implies killing these people on the plane was a premeditated and intentional act. 

Jesus..

There is nothing wrong with the wording.  I assumed people wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Trump planned to kill 160 people on the plane.

Trump DECIDED to assassinate a major general of a sovereign country to distract from his impeachment. When you make stupid and reckless DECISIONS..............well it leads to consequences and causes more deaths whether directly or indirectly.

7 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

The more I read about it the more I'm sure they were shot down. Planes don't blow up less than 2 minutes after takeoff. They just don't. They actually don't blow up ever. And yes @Blarg I happen to have 2 degrees in aviation and technical flight ops is my career.

Yeah, but do you have 3 degrees in aviation? Didn't think so. 

26 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

There is nothing wrong with the wording.  I assumed people wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Trump planned to kill 160 people on the plane.

Trump DECIDED to assassinate a major general of a sovereign country to distract from his impeachment. When you make stupid and reckless DECISIONS..............well it leads to consequences and causes more deaths whether directly or indirectly.

So then by this logic it’s Hillary’s fault for ignoring some states

1 hour ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

The more I read about it the more I'm sure they were shot down. Planes don't blow up less than 2 minutes after takeoff. They just don't. They actually don't blow up ever. And yes @Blarg I happen to have 2 degrees in aviation and technical flight ops is my career.

I find this interesting. What are the degrees?