• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cody Allen DFA'd

1 hour ago, mymerlincat said:

I wasn't calling for us to sign them.  I was calling for us to, if we were going to go dumpster diving, pay those pickups appropriately.  Us making Allen the highest paid reliever on a one year deal, and him making over twice as much as the third highest paid reliever, is my issue.

Hey what’s up man, how are you. I’m just curious why the amount bothers you so much, when Eppler came out and said they stretched the budget specifically for Allen. He was the last piece added, it was going to be the roster as it is with Allen or the roster as it is without Allen; but it’s not like his salary prevented us from picking up someone else because we were suddenly out of budget.

could the $$ have been better spent? Obviously- you listed a few. But you’re not even concerned that he tried and missed, you seem pretty understanding of that. So I’m just wondering why the amount bothers you when it didn’t affect anything else?

also, I think the amount of bullpen gems Eppler has found for nothing allows him some understanding in some more expensive gambles not paying off. 

52 minutes ago, kj_maestro said:

Hey what’s up man, how are you. I’m just curious why the amount bothers you so much, when Eppler came out and said they stretched the budget specifically for Allen. He was the last piece added, it was going to be the roster as it is with Allen or the roster as it is without Allen; but it’s not like his salary prevented us from picking up someone else because we were suddenly out of budget.

could the $$ have been better spent? Obviously- you listed a few. But you’re not even concerned that he tried and missed, you seem pretty understanding of that. So I’m just wondering why the amount bothers you when it didn’t affect anything else?

also, I think the amount of bullpen gems Eppler has found for nothing allows him some understanding in some more expensive gambles not paying off. 

This was such a good take.   People seem to make a big deal of the misses, while ignoring the hits.   Kind of how people make a big deal out of his punting on Parker but gloss over the fact he kept him for his two cheaper, better years.

1 hour ago, kj_maestro said:

Because it's indicative of the fact that Eppler is absolutely clueless when it comes to free agent contracts, which scares the hell out of me.

37.  Cody Allen – Braves.  Two years, $16MM.  Allen dominated as the Indians’ closer from 2014-17, posting a 2.62 ERA, 12.1 K/9, and 120 saves.  This year, an increase in home runs and walks allowed torched his value.  Just 30 in November, Allen shouldn’t have a hard time finding a team willing to bet on a return to form.  Perhaps his camp even prefers a one-year deal with an eye on reentering the market next season, but multiple years should still be possible if the goal is to take max dollars now.

Signed with Angels for one year, $8.5MM.

46. Cody Allen, RP, Age 30
Contract Estimate
Type Years AAV Total
Kiley McDaniel 1 $8.0 M $8.0 M
Median Crowdsource 2 $9.0 M $18.0 M
Avg Crowdsource 2.3 $9.0 M $20.6 M

3 hours ago, Taylor said:

I told my wife, who has very marginal knowledge about the Angels, that they released Cody Allen. Her response: "Thank God! That guy is such a loser."

My wife, who is a lot like your wife but sits next to me at a lot of home games, says last night.  “Why is this guy in?  He sucks.” And I said “don’t worry babe.  Hopefully in the morning, we’ll read that he’s been shipped out.”

And poof....just like that we got our wish.  Don’t let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya, Cody

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

This was such a good take.   People seem to make a big deal of the misses, while ignoring the hits.   Kind of how people make a big deal out of his punting on Parker but gloss over the fact he kept him for his two cheaper, better years.

And Parker has self destructed over the past 3 weeks, 15.20 ERA and 2.30 WHIP in that time.   No thank you 

4 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

Because it's indicative of the fact that Eppler is absolutely clueless when it comes to free agent contracts, which scares the hell out of me.

He really hasn’t had any big FA deals.

Upton was acquired with 4 years remaining, and they simply added a 5th season.

9 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

I wasn't calling for us to sign them.  I was calling for us to, if we were going to go dumpster diving, pay those pickups appropriately.  Us making Allen the highest paid reliever on a one year deal, and him making over twice as much as the third highest paid reliever, is my issue.

Was Parker really that bad last year?

It’s crazy how up and down most relievers are nowadays.  Seems like someone gets hot for one season, gets a contract then disappears.  Not much longevity anymore but more flash in the pan type of situation.  No stats to back it up just seems that way.

sucks for Chody Allen, I was hoping we’d catch lightning in a bottle there.