• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cody Allen DFA'd

A classic example of a  gamble gone wrong. It happens all the time, and is one of those low risk, high reward moves where you hope for the best. 

His distant past success seemed too tempting and outweighed his more immediate problems. Too bad he personally was responsible for some losses. Real 'wins impossible to replace' for the team. 

But he walks away with a nice chunk of change and probably gets signed somewhere else next with another team willing to take the same gamble. But likely as a tryout player at little cost.

7 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Don't know how good pitchers can lose it so completely, but it happens all the time in baseball.

Joe Kelly is sporting a 7.59 ERA so his days with the Dodgers may be numbered. 

Kelly is still owed about $19M. He won't be DFA'd anytime soon 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

I already have a big party scheduled to celebrate RoRo's 41st birthday, so now I can include this news to the festivities. 

I only care to the degree that the total amount allocated to signing Cahill, Harvey, and Allen could have been better spent. I'm looking at that in hindsight of course.

I don't really care how Arte spends his money either - but I care about the product he puts on the field. 

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

I only care to the degree that the total amount allocated to signing Cahill, Harvey, and Allen could have been better spent. I'm looking at that in hindsight of course.

I don't really care how Arte spends his money either - but I care about the product he puts on the field. 

What does this have to do with RoRo's birthday party?

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

So @beatlesrule, Eppler admitted a mistake.  

Took him long enough and he still has more to go.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/angels-designate-cody-allen-for-assignment.html

After inking $8.5MM in guaranteed money from the Angels, Allen walked 17.2% of the batters he faced, a mark in the bottom 1% league wide. He has also given up considerable hard contact (54.5%) as opponents have barreled him up at a 15% clip while getting the ball up in the air more frequently (65.2 FB%). Opponents’ average exit velocity of 94.3 mph ranks Allen ahead of only Reed Garrett (94.7 mph) and Alex Cobb (94.9 mph). Hard hit fly balls have unsurprisingly led to a 20.9 HR/FB%, 3.52 HR/9 and 6.26 ERA.

The 30-year-old isn’t likely to be claimed, at which point he has the right to refuse a demotion and become a free agent. He’ll look to catch on somewhere, however, as he has no plans to retire, per Maria Torres of the LA Times (via Twitter). Given his fastball-reliant two-pitch arsenal, Allen will need to develop a new approach to remain viable at the big-league level. His four-seamer has slowed to an average 92.2 mph (from 93.5 mph last year and a career peak 96 mph in 2013), and though he’s become slightly-more invested in his curveball this season, usage rates were not considerably different than his career norms.

For the it's not my money people, horrible signings like these matter when the team is on a budget. Eppler has wasted a lot of money in FA trying to put together a major league team. He has had for years to put together a major league team and this has resulted in zero playoff appearances. He clearly needs help when it comes to the major league level. Sure LaStella, Goodwin, Puello and maybe Lucroy have worked out but those guys are cheap. If he is going to have his contract renewed, it will have to be in a co-GM situation.

I mean the jury is still out on the farm but he's done a much better job with it than in free agency. Yes, trades like Simmons and Upton have worked out but again, regarding free agency and putting together a major league ball club, he is just not very good at all. This also refers to the new manager which so far, he's made a mistake on too.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Took him long enough and he still has more to go.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/angels-designate-cody-allen-for-assignment.html

After inking $8.5MM in guaranteed money from the Angels, Allen walked 17.2% of the batters he faced, a mark in the bottom 1% league wide. He has also given up considerable hard contact (54.5%) as opponents have barreled him up at a 15% clip while getting the ball up in the air more frequently (65.2 FB%). Opponents’ average exit velocity of 94.3 mph ranks Allen ahead of only Reed Garrett (94.7 mph) and Alex Cobb (94.9 mph). Hard hit fly balls have unsurprisingly led to a 20.9 HR/FB%, 3.52 HR/9 and 6.26 ERA.

The 30-year-old isn’t likely to be claimed, at which point he has the right to refuse a demotion and become a free agent. He’ll look to catch on somewhere, however, as he has no plans to retire, per Maria Torres of the LA Times (via Twitter). Given his fastball-reliant two-pitch arsenal, Allen will need to develop a new approach to remain viable at the big-league level. His four-seamer has slowed to an average 92.2 mph (from 93.5 mph last year and a career peak 96 mph in 2013), and though he’s become slightly-more invested in his curveball this season, usage rates were not considerably different than his career norms.

For the it's not my money people, horrible signings like these matter when the team is on a budget. Eppler has wasted a lot of money in FA trying to put together a major league team. He has had for years to put together a major league team and this has resulted in zero playoff appearances. He clearly needs help when it comes to the major league level. Sure LaStella, Goodwin, Puello and maybe Lucroy have worked out but those guys are cheap. If he is going to have his contract renewed, it will have to be in a co-GM situation.

I mean the jury is still out on the farm but he's done a much better job with it than in free agency. Yes, trades like Simmons and Upton have worked out but again, regarding free agency and putting together a major league ball club, he is just not very good at all.

Whatever dude.  As a fan you say took him long enough but we as fans don’t live in the real world of having to make decisions like this.  Veterans get 2-3 months to figure it out.  Sometimes they right the ship sometimes they don’t.   He didn’t.