• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Samsung A80 - future of phones?

gotbeer

So ran across this phone.  Samsung is supposedly going to come out with a mystery phone towards the end of the year.  And speculation is it's not a new fold.  But a higher end version of the A80, especially since the A80 seems to be an India initial release.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/04/11/samsung-galaxy-s10-upgrade-galaxy-a80-release-buy/#259bbc557add

https://news.samsung.com/uk/new-samsung-galaxy-a80-built-for-the-era-of-live

Biggest drawback I see of the A80 is no SD card support which is big for me, since games take up a bunch of space.  Also no headphone jack.  But the camera concept is pretty cool.  Not sure how they will do cases.  Oh, and did I mention the A80 is a midrange phone?  For the specs listed, it's not bad compared to the S10+.

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Samsung-Galaxy-A80-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S10-Plus

43 minutes ago, nate said:

games take up a ton of space?  I guess I don't play any mobile games but the only thing that has ever been a big deal for storage for me has been music.  I have my entire library on my 256gb iphone.

You'd be surprised on these modern games.  CSR2 which is as basic of a racing game as you can get is 5.5 gb.  Asphalt was similar before I got sick of the grind.  Even Simpsons before I nixed it was 5 gb, and it might have been even more.  Coverfire which is a pretty simple shoot em up is 500 mb.  Music wise, yeah I'm with you.  I have 4.1 gb saved on my phone.  And before someone says, why don't I just stream it.  When I disappear into the mountains, the only streaming is when I jump in the water.  

Oh, I mean I have 170 gb of music on my phone, it's especially important for air travel.

But I don't think I have any games on my phone, gaming on a phone seems so pointless.  For a handheld there is the Switch and for real gaming there is a PC.

21 minutes ago, nate said:

Oh, I mean I have 170 gb of music on my phone, it's especially important for air travel.

But I don't think I have any games on my phone, gaming on a phone seems so pointless.  For a handheld there is the Switch and for real gaming there is a PC.

You'd be surprised on these games.  But I guess it would all depend on what types of games you are looking for.  I don't play the mmporg type games anymore.  And most of these types of games are mobile only.  But mobile games have come a long way from even a few years ago when games had to be on the pc.  

• 8 months later...
On 5/30/2019 at 2:43 PM, nate said:

games take up a ton of space?  I guess I don't play any mobile games but the only thing that has ever been a big deal for storage for me has been music.  I have my entire library on my 256gb iphone.

I guess that I am in the minority. I have a few games on my S9 (to kill time when I am waiting somewhere), but I am not big into photos, videos or music on the phone. I have Amazon Echo Taps and Dots for music at home, and SiriusXM in the car.

7 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I guess that I am in the minority. I have a few games on my S9 (to kill time when I am waiting somewhere), but I am not big into photos, videos or music on the phone. I have Amazon Echo Taps and Dots for music at home, and SiriusXM in the car.

I use Spotify a lot, but I also travel a lot and having music stored locally is important for long flights when the wifi either sucks or is too expensive to bother with.

• 1 month later...

Depending on your carrier 5g comes with an additional monthly cost and it is spotty outside of city centers.  I have a friend with last years Galaxy phone and he swears by it.  He always had one of the Google or Sony phones before that which both basically run a vanilla form of Android.

My iPhone 10 is 2.5 years old now, the battery is fine but it is starting to show its age with newer apps.  I don't use it enough to spend another $1k on a phone though.  Going to keep it until it no longer works.

16 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

@gotbeer & @nate I've had my S8 going on 3-4 years now next April. It works fine, though I've noticed the battery life has taken a hit just recently making me think about upgrading. 

Should I go for one of the latest Galaxy S20 5G models? Thoughts?

I got the S20 ultra.  This might be my last phone for a few years.  But I think this phone is almost at the pinnacle of performance.  

Reasons I upgraded was camera.  Because I take a lot of pictures when I'm hiking.  And the true 5g.  (The S10 and note were touted as 5G, but they couldn't get all the bandwidths)  Overall, the ultra is an absolute beast.  I get no lag opening up any apps.  it's just smooth, and I haven't even turned on 120 mH yet.  But it is a big brick to hold and carry.  

So I would say what upgrade are you looking for?  If it's just battery life, get it changed.  I believe iFixit and BestBuy are official Samsung repair centers now.  The other bad thing is, you missed out on the preorder specials.  But I'd check around to see if they are still going with all this Coronavirus you spread around.  

On 3/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, gotbeer said:

I got the S20 ultra.  This might be my last phone for a few years.  But I think this phone is almost at the pinnacle of performance.  

Reasons I upgraded was camera.  Because I take a lot of pictures when I'm hiking.  And the true 5g.  (The S10 and note were touted as 5G, but they couldn't get all the bandwidths)  Overall, the ultra is an absolute beast.  I get no lag opening up any apps.  it's just smooth, and I haven't even turned on 120 mH yet.  But it is a big brick to hold and carry.  

So I would say what upgrade are you looking for?  If it's just battery life, get it changed.  I believe iFixit and BestBuy are official Samsung repair centers now.  The other bad thing is, you missed out on the preorder specials.  But I'd check around to see if they are still going with all this Coronavirus you spread around.  

@gotbeer that's awesome. I too take a lot of pictures and while i've gotten acceptable battery life from my S8 for the past 3-4 years, it lately has taken a nosedive. 

Question? One of the things that I liked from the iPhone over Samsung over the years was it's keyboard. I absolutely hate the Google & Samsung keyboards and all of the others that I tried downloading as a replacement. Typing on an iPhone is smooth. The interface is 100x better than Samsung's IMO. The performance, everything. 

How much better did the keyboard get on the S20 Ultra over its previous versions, especially the S8 which I've had. 

44 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

@gotbeer that's awesome. I too take a lot of pictures and while i've gotten acceptable battery life from my S8 for the past 3-4 years, it lately has taken a nosedive. 

Question? One of the things that I liked from the iPhone over Samsung over the years was it's keyboard. I absolutely hate the Google & Samsung keyboards and all of the others that I tried downloading as a replacement. Typing on an iPhone is smooth. The interface is 100x better than Samsung's IMO. The performance, everything. 

How much better did the keyboard get on the S20 Ultra over its previous versions, especially the S8 which I've had. 

Got me.  I have been using Swiftkey since like the S5.  So I have no idea on Samsung or Googles keyboards.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have an S7 and it still works great. No issues. But battery life is wearing out. 

I swipe for my texting and this phone works fine. I just use the keyboard it came with. 

Have to upgrade at some point, but I've been hearing some negative things about 5G. Mostly because of the higher radiation levels it puts out. 

I have an iphone for my work phone and even though it does some things well I would never buy one for my personal phone. 

1 hour ago, Redondo said:

I have an S7 and it still works great. No issues. But battery life is wearing out. 

I swipe for my texting and this phone works fine. I just use the keyboard it came with. 

Have to upgrade at some point, but I've been hearing some negative things about 5G. Mostly because of the higher radiation levels it puts out. 

I have an iphone for my work phone and even though it does some things well I would never buy one for my personal phone. 

If you don't need the 5g, than the S10 is cheap and a really good phone.  Although with sales lagging, the S20 may come down in price pretty quickly.  Especially with the Coronavirus hitting sales hard.  I think when the Note comes out later this year, there will be some really good deals on the S20.

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

If you don't need the 5g, than the S10 is cheap and a really good phone.  Although with sales lagging, the S20 may come down in price pretty quickly.  Especially with the Coronavirus hitting sales hard.  I think when the Note comes out later this year, there will be some really good deals on the S20.

What are the S10's going for?

gotbeer

Thanks for looking that up for me. Sounds like this is the route I will take. S10 is looking good right now. Sometimes Sam's Club has deals where they give you gift cards when you buy your phone through them. When I bought my S7 phone I got a $200 gift card and AT&T had discounted them $100. So I saved $300. Always looking for that bargain purchase.

😎

1 hour ago, Redondo said:

gotbeer

Thanks for looking that up for me. Sounds like this is the route I will take. S10 is looking good right now. Sometimes Sam's Club has deals where they give you gift cards when you buy your phone through them. When I bought my S7 phone I got a $200 gift card and AT&T had discounted them $100. So I saved $300. Always looking for that bargain purchase.

😎

Sadly, while expensive.  That's why I bought the S20 right away.  Samsung gave me $200 (actually $200 to spend in their store so not really $200 cash) and Tmobile gave me $500 for a trade in for my S9.  So it was half off, plus I won money at the track, so there was that.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:14 AM, gotbeer said:

Sadly, while expensive.  That's why I bought the S20 right away.  Samsung gave me $200 (actually $200 to spend in their store so not really $200 cash) and Tmobile gave me $500 for a trade in for my S9.  So it was half off, plus I won money at the track, so there was that.

Sam's club has $200 gift card on purchase of S20. I'm giving my phone to my wife so I don't get the $ for the trade in. We go to Sam's all the time so the gift card will work.

Ended up being the same price as the S10 so might as well get the newer phone. Not going for the + or the ultra.

Looking into that this Saturday. Thanks for your input.

@gotbeer

Ended up finding a deal at Sam's. 

Samsung S10+ 

$999- 149 discount = $850

Sam's club gift card for $300

Total cost $550.

After going there and handling the phones I decided I liked the larger phone. 

Going there this week. I'll let you know how I like it. 

3 minutes ago, Redondo said:

@gotbeer

Ended up finding a deal at Sam's. 

Samsung S10+ 

$999- 149 discount = $850

Sam's club gift card for $300

Total cost $550.

After going there and handling the phones I decided I liked the larger phone. 

Going there this week. I'll let you know how I like it. 

I'd check out the S20+.  i think they had deals on them also.  From what I'm hearing, the S20+ is the redheaded stepchild of the S20 class.  Might be able to get it for the same price as the s10+ or S20.

54 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I'd check out the S20+.  i think they had deals on them also.  From what I'm hearing, the S20+ is the redheaded stepchild of the S20 class.  Might be able to get it for the same price as the s10+ or S20.

I will. Thanks 👍