• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If you need something to perk you up (in Schadenfreude News)

Harper is a fun player - I'm glad he's in the league and have nothing against him personally (why would I? I don't know him). He seems a bit douchy, but so what?

But I find him fascinating as well. First of all, there's the hype - which started when he was, what, 15? And then he was on the cover of Sports Illustrated at 16?

Then there was the short-lived Trout-Harper thing. Trout looked much better for a few years, then Harper had that 2015 season - which was Ruthian, and one of the best years of the last half century or so. But then...well, he's back to being good to very good, but not great.

His career is all over the place, he's a big personality, he tried to cheat at the home run derby (or at least his dad did), he's extremely talented but even more streaky...and yes, he's fun to root against.

52 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Actually , it's "legit concerns" and not the made up type that you can only come up with it you blind yourself to reason. 

Bryce Harper should and likely will turn it around but there are growing concerns that a player that came into the league with veteran tools is showing signs of an early decline. 

Struggling vs FBs - √

Elevated pull rate - √  50% (up 11%)

Spike in K rate - √  31% career 21%

Soft contact up - √

Medium contact down - √ 

Hard contact down - √

There is actually a whole lot more but I have a hard time believing it's anything more than a sample size issue because otherwise he's going to decline at a rate that will make APs fall look graceful by comparison.

You have to think he's put a lot of pressure on himself (likely pressing) given his competitive nature and some of his early comments.  I agree with TG, that he's one of the very few players in MLB willing to make splashy comments.  Bregman is another one although he seems to catch a lot less shit for it.  

Tell you what I'm struggling with....  Huge Bellinger fan and he wears blue.  Can't bring myself to dislike him.

Harper is clearly lying about his age.

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Then there was the short-lived Trout-Harper thing. 

Exactly. It was all to do about nothing. Now neither of them is considered to be the best hitter in baseball and it doesn’t even matter. We have the best overall player in baseball but we need to get to the postseason. That’s what matters. F all the comparisons. 

25 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Exactly. It was all to do about nothing. Now neither of them is considered to be the best hitter in baseball and it doesn’t even matter. We have the best overall player in baseball but we need to get to the postseason. That’s what matters. F all the comparisons. 

Huh?

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

Bellinger and Yelich are currently the best hitters in baseball. Trout is the best overall player.

If you define "currently" as so far this year, sure. But then going by wRC+ (probably the best overall offense stat), Trout is tied with Springer at 5th/6th with 172, behind Babe Bellinger (216), Yelich (188), Josh Bell (187) and Anthony Rendon (176).

But I'm not ready to say that all--or any--of those guys will be ahead of Trout by year's end. One or two might be, but what about next year? And what about Betts? Are you willing to say that Bell and Rendon are better hitters? JD Martinez?

You're talking about 50 games. 50 games doesn't decide who the best hitter in baseball is. We need at least a couple years. Or maybe wait until the end of the year, and then look at a weighted average of wRC+ from 2017-19, with a 1:2:3 ratio.

5 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

Is la stella a better hitter than trout?

On 5/27/2019 at 4:57 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Guess which "superstar" is hitting .227/.355/.438 and is currently 56th in the majors in fWAR at 1.3?

The guy who will still start in RF during the all star game, and who i'm about to drop from my fantasy team? $330 million contract thanks to the drama and hype that the media added?

• 3 weeks later...