• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The poker boom

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9286395/view/full/the-oral-history-2003-world-series-poker-which-chris-moneymaker-turned-39-25-million

Very interesting read. The poker boom/Chris Moneymaker win is 10 years old this year. Grantland does a very good piece on every aspect of this through everyone involved from players and their perspectives at the time to ESPN and what they were doing television wise down to Pokerstars themself and their take as everything unfolded.

Just a great read if you're interested in poker or curious about how or why there was a poker boom.

I know what he means and used to do it myself. Back then the interface wasnt exactly user friendly and if you saw any tourney waiting on one or two people you just jumped in because it beats waiting in the lobby. I once did this and ended up in a deuce to seven triple draw tourney. I played one hand and then just turned off the computer...back then I never even heard of the game.

Reminds me we used to play on Stars getting a bunch of us here and then playing small tourneys and SNGs. Hot Damn and I did this a couple times for the lolz, but I remember like five of us all sitting in the same SNG with strangers and we all had AIM and were sharing hands and just straight colluding in the 50/50 games lol. (the way the game ran was half the table got knocked out and the other half won winning double the buy in)

Did Moneymaker change his degen ways?  Doesn't seem like he plays a ton of big events... just see him occasionally. 

I didn't watch poker then.  Didn't start playing online until 2006... probably a few months after I was introduced to the game... and quickly got bored because I was playing on a free site.  Ended up on Pacific Poker, which later became 888.  Made a couple final tables in $15-30 decent sized tournaments and started getting hooked.  Cash games on there were insane at the time.  Huge swings.  If only I had been better then.  Anyone that had a flush draw on the flop ended up all in. I think it was worse (or better) than that.    I have some screenshots from those days.