• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout contract renewal

kevinb

The Angels would be fools to screw around with this issue.  Even at double the salary, it still comes out to less than 1 million.  At the end of the day, its chump change for a major league organization and the production they expect to get from Trout is worth more than everyone else on the team.  I get that they want to stand their ground, but why risk alienating the "future of baseball" over a fraction of what you are paying plenty of other players with less production. 

Make the guy happy and pay him in accordance with the salaries guys like Jeter, Howard and Pujols got after earning themselves a similar situation.

Unfortunately, I won't be shocked if they come in at less than 700K.

The Angels would be fools to screw around with this issue.  Even at double the salary, it still comes out to less than 1 million.  At the end of the day, its chump change for a major league organization and the production they expect to get from Trout is worth more than everyone else on the team.  I get that they want to stand their ground, but why risk alienating the "future of baseball" over a fraction of what you are paying plenty of other players with less production. 

Make the guy happy and pay him in accordance with the salary guys like Jeter, Howard and Pujols got after earning themselves a similar situation.

Unfortunately, I won't be shocked if they come in at less than 700K.

yes, but the Angels have to also think about long term.  If they give him what Howard got.  Then later on, he can come back and say in Arb 1 that he wants Howard money, you even thought I should get Howard money after my first year of mlb service.  

In the first year of arbitration, Howard asked for $18 million.  Phillies were at $14 million.  They eventually settled for a 3 year, $54 million contract.  This was just to buy out his arbitration years.  

Might be better to give him the big money next year.

Or do both.  Pay him double this year and offer the big money next year.  The alternative is that you piss him off this year, thus hurting negotiations next year.  Its still under 1 million and well worth it, if it benefits the team in the long run.  There is very little downside.

yes, but the Angels have to also think about long term.  If they give him what Howard got.  Then later on, he can come back and say in Arb 1 that he wants Howard money, you even thought I should get Howard money after my first year of mlb service.  

In the first year of arbitration, Howard asked for $18 million.  Phillies were at $14 million.  They eventually settled for a 3 year, $54 million contract.  This was just to buy out his arbitration years.  

That's a good point.  I suppose I'm basing my position on the assumption that they will try to lock him up before his arbitration years begin.

I have a friend that's a GM and would propose something similar to his structure:

1.2 million for 150 years.

Everyone wins.

LOL.  

Seriously, the time to offer big money is when the Angels are ready to extend him under a long-term contract.  There is NO way the Angels will pay Trout what he is "worth" before he is arbitration eligible.

Like Mike Trout said at the end of the article “I have to go out there, put up some numbers and not worry about that other stuff,” Trout said. “My time will come.”   That is for sure!

I say give him between 10%--20% more than last year that is fair.

The runaway salaries in baseball are only equalized by the club control players. Trout is that guy so you take advantage of that for a couple years and better yet wait to see if he is really going to have a career progression and what level he will cap out at, Then make the long term offer when you really know what you are buying.

But for now you guys are proposing tossing money at him just to make him happy? If he isn't happy being on a 1st rate team with a realistic chance of heading to a World Series before his free agency hits then Trout is not ever going to be happy.

This is a easy solution ... pay the kid twice the league minimum and everyone is happy. This shows good future intentions and rewards him for a tremendous season in 2012.

yeah, i'm onboard with this strategy. would like to see how he does this year and the next before thinking about a big money deal. hope like heck last year wasn't a fluke, but not expecting him to duplicate that kind of insane season every single year (though wouldn't it be incredible if he did!).