• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

General NHL Talk 2019-2020

gotbeer

What are you seeing that I'm not.

I'm referring to your comment that the Ducks and Kings get screwed. I don't see a difference from before. Unless you're referring to all 15 teams having a chance to move into the top 3 spots. But, that's how it's been in the past (Hasn't it?).

Were you expecting them to go to a system where a team was limited to how many spots they could move up? I had heard they were considering that. But, not that it had ever been put in place.

So, we have the 5th pick. With a decent chance of getting in the top 3. Doesn't sound bad to me.

Now, San Jose ...   It can only get more of a gut kick for them. When is the last time they had a top 3 pick?

15 hours ago, deepdrive said:

What are you seeing that I'm not.

I'm referring to your comment that the Ducks and Kings get screwed. I don't see a difference from before. Unless you're referring to all 15 teams having a chance to move into the top 3 spots. But, that's how it's been in the past (Hasn't it?).

Were you expecting them to go to a system where a team was limited to how many spots they could move up? I had heard they were considering that. But, not that it had ever been put in place.

So, we have the 5th pick. With a decent chance of getting in the top 3. Doesn't sound bad to me.

Now, San Jose ...   It can only get more of a gut kick for them. When is the last time they had a top 3 pick?

The thing I don't like is that team blank would fall into the top 3.  Say like last year, 2 teams fall into the top 3.  That would be incentive enough for teams to take the play in round to get a 12.5% or 25% chance to have a top 3 pick.  And that would move the Ducks and Kings down.  Remember that while Red Wings have a 18.5% chance to get the top pick, they have a 81.5% chance it will be another team.  

And like before, the odds are stacked so that the Ducks and Kings move down in the draft not up.  thats where we will get screwed.  Although I can't see the NHL not giving the #1 pick to Detroit.  Because they sure won't give it to Ottawa.

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

The thing I don't like is that team blank would fall into the top 3.  Say like last year, 2 teams fall into the top 3.  That would be incentive enough for teams to take the play in round to get a 12.5% or 25% chance to have a top 3 pick.  And that would move the Ducks and Kings down.  Remember that while Red Wings have a 18.5% chance to get the top pick, they have a 81.5% chance it will be another team.  

And like before, the odds are stacked so that the Ducks and Kings move down in the draft not up.  thats where we will get screwed.  Although I can't see the NHL not giving the #1 pick to Detroit.  Because they sure won't give it to Ottawa.

A few years back the Avalanche had a 48 point season and ended up with the 4th pick while New Jersey got the first one. Last year they owned the Ottawa pick and once again got to pick 4th while New Jersey picked first. Of course, I'd rather have Makar and Byrum than Hischer and Hughes but that's not the point. The non-playoff teams still have the exact odds they always had and however they divide up the remaining odds they're still the same odds that one will jump the bottom 7 teams

• 4 weeks later...

Kings end up with the #2 overall pick in the draft.

Ottawa ends up with #3 and #5. If this is a deep draft, the Senators can make some major strides forward if they draft well.

Edited by Tank

7 minutes ago, Tank said:

Kings end up with the #2 overall pick in the draft.

Ottawa ends up with #3 and #5. If this is a deep draft, the Senators can make some major strides forward if they draft well.

Translation:

- It's not #1. But you have to be pretty happy how this year worked out after last year.

- Wow! Ottawa got the royal shaft in this deal.

A good day for a Kings fan. Just more crap if you root for the Ducks.

7 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Sounds like Edmonton and Toronto are going to be the hub cities for the playoffs.  Makes sense considering what's happening in the US.  

That is exactly it, IMO - the lack of progress and an erratic national strategy on COVID makes it far too risky to play anywhere here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 9:16 AM, deepdrive said:

So, Seattle Has chosen 'Kraken' as their team name. Does this require us to refer to them as the Krackheads ?

Yeah, you knew that was coming.

Works for me.

The name is fine, the colors are fine. I guess that I was expecting a little more than a stylized S when I heard the name.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Is it any surprise that egotistical baseball screwed things up.

Will anyone be surprised if hockey players get it right? I know they have their screwups too. I just think they have the best chance of the four major sports of pulling this off with reasonable success.

16 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Is it any surprise that egotistical baseball screwed things up.

Will anyone be surprised if hockey players get it right? I know they have their screwups too. I just think they have the best chance of the four major sports of pulling this off with reasonable success.

They definitely do seem like they are taking all the right precautions.  Moving to Canada was pretty brilliant, but at the same time pretty obvious.  Also it seems like players and owners are on the same page.  Which is a nice change.  That's the weird thing I thought about the MLB deciding to stay open.  It sounds like they didn't even consult with the players union.  At least with hockey, if things go wrong, they won't be pointing fingers at each other.