• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

General NHL Talk 2019-2020

gotbeer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Other teams are doing this, and it's happening here as well. Nice to see.

Vegas Golden Knights pledge $500K to pay arena employees during coronavirus pandemic

Leading the player contributions is goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, who has committed to donating $100,000.

For the Ducks, the owners already stepped up and are paying the arena employees through June.  And not just for the Pond.  They are paying the people at the AHL arena, the two ice rinks, and JT Schmidts that they own.  

Tic-Tok   Tic-Tok   ...

I wish they would just call the season complete and get on with a plan for the playoffs. Does anyone even care to see the regular season start back up? The fans who are still into regular season games are the ones whose teams are in playoff contention. Just get on with it (The plan. I know it's probably too early to put together games yet.).

48 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Tic-Tok   Tic-Tok   ...

I wish they would just call the season complete and get on with a plan for the playoffs. Does anyone even care to see the regular season start back up? The fans who are still into regular season games are the ones whose teams are in playoff contention. Just get on with it (The plan. I know it's probably too early to put together games yet.).

I think they will need a few games of the regular season for tune up for the postseason.  No way could you have them start the playoffs right away.  

And on top of that, the standings have issues.  

Blue Jackets would get the second wild card spot with 81 points.  Hurricanes have 81 and in.  But the Islanders have 80 points.  Here is where it's unfair.  Blue Jackets have played 70 games.  Islanders have played 68.  

In the Western.  Jet's have 80 points.  Predators and Canucks have 78 and Wild have 77.  Jets have played 71 games.  Preds, Wild, and Nucks have played 69.  And to complicate it more, the Flames are third in the pacific with 79 points.  They have played 70 games.  

Interesting tidbit on NHL rumors.

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-minnesota-wild-new-york-rangers-and-could-several-teams-be-in-jeopardy/2020/04/13/

Several NHL teams could be in jeopardy

Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: Without there being a vaccine for COVID-19, it’s hard to see them finishing the season, and puts 2020-21 season into the discussion as well.

Would all 31 teams be able to survive a shutdown? If the 2020-21 season is lost, there will be several teams feeling the pressure. The NHL is a gate driven league and can’t rely on their TV deal as much as some other leagues can.

The Ottawa Senators, Arizona Coyotes, and Florida Panthers could be trouble. Other teams who could face some challenges include the New Jersey Devils, Buffalo Sabres, and the Nashville Predators.

On 4/13/2020 at 11:09 AM, gotbeer said:

Interesting.  

I cant see a scenario where the rest of the league allows teams to fall away.  That would be devastating for the entire league.  Contraction draft?  150-ish players lose their jobs? 

12 minutes ago, Keener said:

Interesting.  

I cant see a scenario where the rest of the league allows teams to fall away.  That would be devastating for the entire league.  Contraction draft?  150-ish players lose their jobs? 

I think if anything, you will see some teams being sold.  For Arizona, it seems like it happens every 5 years.  Ottawa, the fans would approve.  Florida is Florida, and you wonder if a move to Quebec would happen if they were sold.  

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 9:33 AM, arch stanton said:

One Denver sports podcast has been reliving the '01 Cup final against the Devils and now the '96 conference final against Detroit. It's eye opening to watch those games and realize how much it's changed. Half the shit they did in '96 would get you suspended today

Even better, the 1970s

Just rumors I'm hearing, but it sounds like one option is going with a 24 team tournament.  This would actually help the games finished imbalance, since in a normal season, the top 3 + 2 wild cards or 16 teams make the playoffs.  Not sure how the format is.  

Also they are talking of a neutral city for the playoffs.  But I wonder if they are considering putting the games in So Cal.  Think about it.  You have two NHL arenas.  So for how ever many games, you would be able to juggle between the two.  You won't have crowds regardless of where it is.  You also need to house 24 teams in quarantine conditions.  So Cal has the hotels to do this.  So Cal is not getting hit in the ER, so plenty of room there if needed.  You have the idle restaurants that can feed the teams in quarantine conditions.  So Cal also has the practice facilities in the Great Rinks, you could use the Reign's stadium, the Gulls Stadium, Disney Ice, the Kings practice facilities.  Plus if the Rona is hampered by sunny weather, well, you got that also.  It'll also be easier to televise from So Cal than from North Dakota or wherever they are thinking. 

On top of that, the Kings and the Ducks suck, so no home field advantage.  

On 4/21/2020 at 11:22 AM, gotbeer said:

Just rumors I'm hearing, but it sounds like one option is going with a 24 team tournament.  This would actually help the games finished imbalance, since in a normal season, the top 3 + 2 wild cards or 16 teams make the playoffs.  Not sure how the format is.  

Also they are talking of a neutral city for the playoffs.  But I wonder if they are considering putting the games in So Cal.  Think about it.  You have two NHL arenas.  So for how ever many games, you would be able to juggle between the two.  You won't have crowds regardless of where it is.  You also need to house 24 teams in quarantine conditions.  So Cal has the hotels to do this.  So Cal is not getting hit in the ER, so plenty of room there if needed.  You have the idle restaurants that can feed the teams in quarantine conditions.  So Cal also has the practice facilities in the Great Rinks, you could use the Reign's stadium, the Gulls Stadium, Disney Ice, the Kings practice facilities.  Plus if the Rona is hampered by sunny weather, well, you got that also.  It'll also be easier to televise from So Cal than from North Dakota or wherever they are thinking. 

On top of that, the Kings and the Ducks suck, so no home field advantage.  

There is only one arena here, but one thing that we have in abundance is hotel rooms.

• 4 weeks later...

NHL considers using two venues with 12 teams each when play resumes

Just pointing out a few things in this article. 

2 venues.  Staples and the Pond. 

Hotels with ample available room.  We got that covered.

Three weeks of training camp.  Well we got that covered also.  With lot's of practice facilities.

How big of an outbreak?  Well, the OC is opening things back up.  LA is bowing to the pressure also.

The kicker.  Availability of Rona tests.  Just so happens that LA has too many tests, and it's going unused.  

Bonus, both LA teams won't be in the 16, so it's as neutral of ground as you are going to get.

NHL plans to return with 24-team Stanley Cup Playoffs

Losers who's season is over so they can go home and continue to build chickencoops.

Seven teams did not qualify for the playoffs and their season is over: the Buffalo Sabres, New Jersey Devils, Anaheim Ducks, Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, Ottawa Senators and Detroit Red Wings. Each of them will participate in the NHL Draft Lottery, which will hold its first phase June 26.

So let's hope that either the Ducks or Kings get that number one pick in Alexis Lafreniere, and that he is the franchise player like last years slew of top picks ended up not being.

An explainer for the very confusing 2020 NHL Draft Lottery, which will include two phases

Kings 9.5%

Ducks 8.5%

Here's how it breaks down:

• The seven teams that will not qualify for the 24-team playoff will automatically be entered into the lottery 
  • The eight teams that fail to advance out of the postseason play-in round receive the final eight draft lottery spots
  • During Phase 1 of the Draft Lottery on June 26th, the league will draw the first three selections of the 2020 NHL Draft, using placeholders for the eight teams still in competition
  • If any still-competing teams are among the three draws at the top of the draft, a Phase 2 stage will be triggered
  • After the completion of the play-in round, all eight teams entered into the lottery will have the exact same odds (12.5 percent) of being selected to move into the top three (where the placeholder was drawn)
  • When the top three picks are finalized, the order for the remainder of the first round will be determined by 2019-2020 points percentage 

Not sure if I like this though.  In the end, the Ducks and Kings will get screwed.