• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB looking nto pitcher protection

Brandon

Here is a recent article: http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/2013/02/28/mlb_looking_for_ways_to_protect_pitchers.html

I saw an ESPN piece earlier this morning where they had Chris Young and another guy on the show to talk about the experience of getting hit in the face from a line drive. They also did a small bit on McCarthy when Aybar drilled him and he had to have emergency surgery to save his life.

Should MLB do anything? Is there anything to do? Are the padded hats doable? Is it just part of the game?

i think its a risk of the game, although the padded hats are an option. I think i read that even after getting drilled in the dome McCarthy opted not to wear a padded hat.

Other then the pitcher pitching behind a screen or wearing a catcher's mask I'm not sure what else could be done

we've talked about this before here. Yes padded hats are doable - at least something to increase safety is doable. Initially NOCSAE was demanding that any pitcher head gear must comply with the same safety standard as the batter's helmet - 90 mph which isn't going to happen so we'll see where youth sports ends up going (LL thru College). NOCSAE is a joke btw, but I'm not going to get into that discussion right now. MLB has been looking at some options, last I heard there were 5 options being looked at from different manufacturers. 

we've talked about this before here. Yes padded hats are doable - at least something to increase safety is doable. Initially NOCSAE was demanding that any pitcher head gear must comply with the same safety standard as the batter's helmet - 90 mph which isn't going to happen so we'll see where youth sports ends up going (LL thru College). NOCSAE is a joke btw, but I'm not going to get into that discussion right now. MLB has been looking at some options, last I heard there were 5 options being looked at from different manufacturers. 

I think we will see it in LL first.