• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Billy Eppler

cals

Ya I’m not close to thinking Eppler needs to go or anything, but the way he has handled the major league line up has been bad.  He has Trout signed up.  Calhoun will be gone.  He needs to get rid of Pujols.  He needs to get these prospects up to Anaheim sooner then later so he can figure out what he needs to go outside of the organization for.  We’re getting to the point where there’s no more excuses.  This is his team now. 

This is the last year of the grace period for me tbh. The farm has been built up to where they have about several players who will be up at some point this season and next, they have Trout secured for the upcoming decade, and they have no real ugly long-term commitments beyond the final few years of the Pujols disaster. They are in good shape financially. This offseason is the big one for Eppler and his job security in Anaheim. They need to hit it out of the park with whatever signings/trades they make and the team needs to look significantly different/better in 2020 or his seat should be hot

Yeah this is his first manager hire, so there will be some leash and if this continues Ausmus will go first.  If that happens he will be on the hot seat for sure next season.

Starting to look like he hired the dude who will listen to him and be his buddy.  Hope not, and I hope it turns around of course.  But this team is fugly.

39 minutes ago, calscuf said:

So when are you guys gonna turn on him like you did with “JeDi”?

I just want to make sure we can start criticizing him without Strad and Blarg and whoever else making snotty responses.

When he decimated a farm he didn’t build and he alienates himself from the players, oh and he quits weeks before the trade deadline.  Then I will personally turn on him.  Any other questions?

36 minutes ago, Stradling said:

When he decimated a farm he didn’t build and he alienates himself from the players, oh and he quits weeks before the trade deadline.  Then I will personally turn on him.  Any other questions?

Most people didn't turn on Dipshito until after he quit mid season like a little bitch 

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:
  • Simmons trade
  • Ohtani signing
  • Trout extension
  • Farm revitalization (from "worst ever" to borderline top 10 in two years)

vs.

• Tommy La Stella
  • Justin Bour
  • Zack Cozart
  • Harvey/Cahill vs. Shoemaker (so far)

I'm probably missing some things but the first list far outweighs the latter, so...

You're probably missing a few on that second list but hey, I'll let it slide, I agree with the sentiment. 

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:
  • Simmons trade
  • Ohtani signing
  • Trout extension
  • Farm revitalization (from "worst ever" to borderline top 10 in two years)

vs.

• Tommy La Stella
  • Justin Bour
  • Zack Cozart
  • Harvey/Cahill vs. Shoemaker (so far)

I'm probably missing some things but the first list far outweighs the latter, so...

We just need to accept this is a rebuilding/retooling year imo.

As of this moment, 2021 is the year I’m going to be holding expectations very high. I think this has always been a 5-year plan. I can even see 2020 being a little transitionary if the kids don’t get significant playing time this season and only break the bigs next year. 

But by 2021 I’m expecting us to look like something like what the Braves look now. 

2 hours ago, NrM said:

We just need to accept this is a rebuilding/retooling year imo.

Bingo. Once we knew we wouldn’t have Richards or Ohtani in the ‘19 rotation we were pretty much done for this year. There was no series of deals we could have made to mitigate that without torching the farm or clogging payroll - and Eppler still tried to spend $$$, we just didn’t have any targets who wanted to play out West.

Harvey, Cahill, Allen, Lucroy, Bour, and La Stella are about as good a batch of players you can get for essentially no cost or commitment. Two upside vets, a potential closer, a steady yet unspectacular vet catcher, a UT IF with OBP skills and a prototypical 20 HR threat.  There’s still time for some of them to stabilize. If not, no real loss. We’ll flip the good ones in July and play the kids, which is obviously becoming Eppler’s true focus. 

This season will be a lot more palatable for you if you put winning on the backburner, and start rooting for these middling vet investments to turn into sell high trade gold come July.

Edited by totdprods

27 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Bingo. Once we knew we wouldn’t have Richards or Ohtani in the ‘19 rotation we were pretty much done for this year. There was no series of deals we could have made to mitigate that without torching the farm or clogging payroll - and Eppler still tried to spend $$$, we just didn’t have any targets who wanted to play out West.

Harvey, Cahill, Allen, Lucroy, Bour, and La Stella are about as good a batch of players you can get for essentially no cost or commitment. Two upside vets, a potential closer, a steady yet unspectacular vet catcher, a UT IF with OBP skills and a prototypical 20 HR threat.  There’s still time for some of them to stabilize. If not, no real loss. We’ll flip the good ones in July and play the kids, which is obviously becoming Eppler’s true focus. 

This season will be a lot more palatable for you if you put winning on the backburner, and start rooting for these middling vet investments to turn into sell high trade gold come July.

It’s just funny to be reading posts like this already when we heard all offseason that this would be a team that contended for a wild card spot. They’re not even in the ballpark to being a contender - that’s the reason I find it so hard to believe next year it’s all going to fall into place

My only real knock on Eppler is that he’s done a poor job either finding good offensive players year after year. Almost all have busted. I don’t know if they’re putting too much weight on those players’ defensive values or what, but it’s something that needs to start changing.

To his credit, he seems to recognize that as we’ve had different hitting coaches every season as well. 

1 minute ago, GrittyVeterans said:

It’s just funny to be reading posts like this already when we heard all offseason that this would be a team that contended for a wild card spot. They’re not even in the ballpark to being a contender - that’s the reason I find it so hard to believe next year it’s all going to fall into place

I’ve been suspecting this since last summer. The 2019 was almost always going to be a crapshoot since Ohtani and Richards had their UCL injuries. 

If the lotto ticket stopgaps played well, we’d contend, if they didn’t, we wouldn’t. Nothing lost, nothing gained. Farm intact.

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’ve been suspecting this since last summer. The 2019 was almost always going to be a crapshoot since Ohtani and Richards had their UCL injuries. 

If the lotto ticket stopgaps played well, we’d contend, if they didn’t, we wouldn’t. Nothing lost, nothing gained. Farm intact.

Fair enough.

I'll never be able to agree that there is nothing lost in a shit season like this is going to be though

11 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Fair enough.

I'll never be able to agree that there is nothing lost in a shit season like this is going to be though

Only one team wins it all every year. Only four from our league make it to the real playoffs every year. We got to enjoy being in the mix for a decade and it was great, and most teams in recent history don’t enjoy success that sustained. 

I’d much rather punt a couple years to get back to the year-in, year-out odds rather than it swinging back and forth wildly like what Seattle, Oakland, or Texas have to do, or without having to be a 100-loss team like the Astros for several years running.

I appreciate that Arte and Eppler have at least tried to give us a reason to be optimistic every year instead of just going super cheap and trading away everyone.

Edited by totdprods

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Only one team wins it all every year. Only four from our league make it to the real playoffs every year. We got to enjoy being in the mix for a decade and it was great, and most teams in recent history don’t enjoy success that sustained. 

I’d much rather punt a couple years to get back to the year-in, year-out odds rather than it swinging back and forth wildly like what Seattle, Oakland, or Texas have to do, or without having to be a 100-loss team like the Astros for several years running.

I appreciate that Arte and Eppler have at least tried to give us a reason to be optimistic every year instead of just going super cheap and trading away everyone.

Yeah this doesn't work for me when you have the best player of all time on your roster. I respect your patience but it's just crazy to sit back year after year like this. Absolutely no guarantee the chickens hatch next year either

How about blaming the players and their lack of execution? Examples: Lastella needed to hit a fly ball in his at bat to secure a run.  He failed.  Goodwin let two balls go by him.  That is poor execution, regardless of the talent level.

The A's seem to compete year after year with arguably lesser talent.

14 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Yeah this doesn't work for me when you have the best player of all time on your roster. I respect your patience but it's just crazy to sit back year after year like this. Absolutely no guarantee the chickens hatch next year either

And that best player of all time decided to stay here for the next decade-plus...I just don't really see things here on a year-to-year basis. For the past 5 years or so, it's been plainly obvious that we didn't have the farm, payroll, or big-league team to compete year to year. It was going to be a multi-year phase of rebuilding something sustainable with hope-and-prayer stopgaps that would either Forrest Gump us into the playoffs, or fall short with no harm done to building that sustainability. 

And I don't necessarily think next year is primed either. It'll depend greatly on the prospects, and if those prospects get playing time this year, if they get their adjustments out of the way this year or next year, etc. So, I'm not really viewing 2019 and 2020 as year to year either.

I see it in phases...
1) 2015-2019, rebuilding the system.
The system, in almost every way, was destroyed by Dipoto. No farm, no scouting, no international presence, awful payroll. This took time to fix.
2) 2020-2025, relying on the next core.
I can see this being akin to the Stoneman years of '04-'09. Solid, cheap, young team, built from within, always bringing up talent, with the ability to trade and sign impact players at will as needed.
3) 2025-2030, relying on the next wave of prospects after that.
I can see this being like the late Reagins years/early Dipoto years - the young team is getting older, more expensive, more volatile. Cracks are emerging. This is where the Astros are now. Do you keep trading away youth (Adams, Jackson, Knowles, etc.) to win now, or do you risk taking lumps for a season or two as you swap out one core (Thaiss, Ward, Jones, Marsh, Suarez, Canning) for the next? That's one aspect where the Cardinals and Yankees always excelled, concurrently buying and selling and replacing from within. 

I know it isn't for everyone, but subscribing to the high-level view of the org makes all this a lot less stressful for me. It's entertainment. I have enough stress in life outside of baseball, so I look for what will keep me feeling good about tuning in.

Edited by totdprods