• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LAT: Long Beach plans to woo Angels, and arena might be demolished

The idea of a beach front stadium is extremely cool.  But, I find it hard to believe this move would be best for the Angels.  The fan base is in Orange County and shares Riverside and San Bernardino. In general, I think it doesn’t make sense to move away from your fans.  Also, the accessibility thing is a big deal.  Where they are now is about as perfect as it gets.  The Angels and Anaheim need each other, and I hope they work it out.  It sounds like the plan to make “LA Live on steroids” with the Ducks could be awesome. 

33 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

The idea of a beach front stadium is extremely cool.  But, I find it hard to believe this move would be best for the Angels.  The fan base is in Orange County and shares Riverside and San Bernardino. In general, I think it doesn’t make sense to move away from your fans.  Also, the accessibility thing is a big deal.  Where they are now is about as perfect as it gets.  The Angels and Anaheim need each other, and I hope they work it out.  It sounds like the plan to make “LA Live on steroids” with the Ducks could be awesome. 

Anaheim doesn’t need the Angels

Disney has first dibs on the stadium land already

the angels need a new stadium. There’s only so many layers of paint you can put on the pig 

9 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

I'm all for a stadium with a splash zone, a new ballpark and uniforms could revamp this team.  The parking situation in LB will be ugly though, Angels stadium is perfect being right by the 5 Freeway.  The city of Anaheim has expressed that they want the Angels gone and it's likely the team will move elsewhere, I put 70% odds on them being at a new ballpark by 2024.

hqdefault.jpg

43 minutes ago, Tank said:

the property area for building notwithstanding, there's still only one major thoroughfare in and out of long beach. it'll be a driving nightmare on a level above and beyond what it already is.

this isn't a viable option. it'll alienate the fan base.

Both of these are key points to me.  I guess we can argue about how important the Angels are to the city of Anaheim but undoubtedly moving to this proposed Long Beach site would be a nightmare to get to.  Also that 17 acre lot just doesn’t seem like enough space.  Though this new article makes it sound like it could be more then that. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

5 hours ago, nando714 said:

Anaheim doesn’t need the Angels

Disney has first dibs on the stadium land already

the angels need a new stadium. There’s only so many layers of paint you can put on the pig 

true, just look at Wrigley Field, dodger stadium and Fenway Park. 

Wouldn’t the city of Anaheim make more money off that land by letting the Angels leave, and having Disney build another park/hotels on the land? A Disney park would generate sales tax revenue 365 days a year, against the 82 games played by the Angels? 

1 hour ago, NJHalo said:

Wouldn’t the city of Anaheim make more money off that land by letting the Angels leave, and having Disney build another park/hotels on the land? A Disney park would generate sales tax revenue 365 days a year, against the 82 games played by the Angels? 

I’m guessing that would probably depend on the retail, commercial and residential development around the stadium. Shops and restaurants bring in lots of revenue as well. Plus who knows if Disney wants to build a park there. They might want to use the land for parking.

Edited by Lhalo

I'll start paying attention when the Angels announce a move.  Arte desperately needs a date to act interested in him so he is on eharmony looking at places like Long Beach.

Long Beach forever feels like a forgotten child so they will be happy to woo Arte.

Check out the graveyard of minor league baseball and hockey teams who have tried to make a home in Long Beach.  And Long Beach State football at the Vet.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

I'll care when a decision is made. 

and that's a good mindset to have, IMO.  Why get worked up about something that might not ever happen.  AW never does that, right?

10 hours ago, Throwman91 said:

I'm all for a stadium with a splash zone, a new ballpark and uniforms could revamp this team.  The parking situation in LB will be ugly though, Angels stadium is perfect being right by the 5 Freeway.  The city of Anaheim has expressed that they want the Angels gone and it's likely the team will move elsewhere, I put 70% odds on them being at a new ballpark by 2024.

I thought that the city was a little more receptive, now that the chip man is no longer mayor?

The LB Arena hasn't been regularly used in 34 years, since LB State moved MBB back on campus for the 1985-86 season.   No one will miss that building. 

6 hours ago, Lou said:

true, just look at Wrigley Field, dodger stadium and Fenway Park. 

Having been to all 3, I really hope that's not the stadium experience the Angels are going for. 3 of the four worst ballparks I've been to. Oakland is the worst. I barely fit in the seat at Fenway and I was 5' 11" 140 lbs at the time. The stadiums are only enjoyable because of their history and architectural quirks; Anaheim Stadium doesn't have either in abundance. 

11 hours ago, Throwman91 said:

Vegas is calling! ?

9 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Having been to all 3, I really hope that's not the stadium experience the Angels are going for. 3 of the four worst ballparks I've been to. Oakland is the worst. I barely fit in the seat at Fenway and I was 5' 11" 140 lbs at the time. The stadiums are only enjoyable because of their history and architectural quirks; Anaheim Stadium doesn't have either in abundance. 

It’s werid you mentioned the seats because I am a big guy, basically 100 lbs more than you were and the same height and I don’t remember the seats being tiny.  I thought Fenway was bad ass.  I even felt guilty feeling that way because I truly don’t like the Sox.  I will be in Chicago at Wrigley in 8 days for the first time.  

i visited fenway in 1980. at the time, i was 6'2" 230 lbs. Felt like it was gonna take a can opener to pry me out of that seat on the field level by third base. Tiny doesn't come close to describing it.

Boston Garden was the same way.

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s werid you mentioned the seats because I am a big guy, basically 100 lbs more than you were and the same height and I don’t remember the seats being tiny.  I thought Fenway was bad ass.  I even felt guilty feeling that way because I truly don’t like the Sox.  I will be in Chicago at Wrigley in 8 days for the first time.  

I loved it at Wrigley Field, when I went in May 1994 to see them play the Padres.   Took the El from the hotel to within 2 blocks and walked the rest of the way.

Got a Chicago Dog from an adjacent take out place, and took it inside to a LF bleacher seat and got a beer to go with it.   Then Sosa proceeded to launch one onto Waveland Ave. in the middle innings, which was followed by a Wayne's World like 'We're not worthy!" from the Bleacher Bums. 

Harry was still around back then, and of course sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" as only he could.   Cubs won the game.