Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! AngelsWin.com - Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

  • AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SS what's incredible is that your total number of kids is higher than your index. Props. It's clear you succeed in multiple holes in one.

I want to play so bad.  Seriously, frozen in Texas and tarps on greens for days and days, WTF?  I am not sure when MT ever gets to play if it is like this here.    Last I played was our little club

Still working some at the course so don't play as much anymore.  Throwing punk kids off the course is fun though.    Last weeks idiot golfer of the week came in on Sunday.  Stops in the clubhouse an

Posted Images

Wife gifted me a new putter for Christmas. I've yet to even peel the plastic off the face. 

My youngest wanted to learn how to play so I picked him up a used set of Callaway Diablo Edge clubs. Took them to the range and easily hit 10 yards further than the very old Powerbuilts I've been using. I really wanted to keep them for myself.

Instead I picked up a used Mavrik 4 wood off of Ebay for $200. I think I'm back to being addicted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

$15 buy in and walked off with $125 today.  Game has been sucking but two closest to the pin on par threes and two birdies on par five skins.  43/38 for 18, the birdies on the back par 5's helped but did hook a ball into a yard on 17 for a 5 on a par three and still came out with a 38.  Always that one hole to bugger it up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds like a really nice round and I hope the ladies didn't mind you using their tee box.  😉

I finally committed to a set of new clubs and bought the Ping 710 with their version of a graphite geezer shaft. They call it a soft regular but it doesn't feel whippy at all. In fact I'd say it has less swing flex than my old dynamic gold regular steel shafts from 10 years ago. I'm sure they don't and it's my incredibly slow swing speed that couldn't get al dente spaghetti to flex.

The 710's have a different impact sound. I read how they worked on it because it had too much of a hollow back impact feedback. It still doesn't sound like other irons being whacked on the driving range but all I care is they hit further and are really damn forgiving on miss hits.

So much so I have to use something to show where on the iron I'm making impact and most hits are edged towards the toe but don't have a miss hit feedback where you get vibration. The only indication is less loft and distance but not a considerable amount so the penalty of not hitting the sweet spot really isn't in play as much. 

I played9 holes a couple weeks ago with my brother using the new irons and only strayed off target twice. Neither OB but in the rough. Two putted every hole so at least my approach shots were good enough. I still have no control of my driver so I'm teeing off most long holes with a Mavrik 4 wood. I like that club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blarg said:

That sounds like a really nice round and I hope the ladies didn't mind you using their tee box.  😉

I finally committed to a set of new clubs and bought the Ping 710 with their version of a graphite geezer shaft. They call it a soft regular but it doesn't feel whippy at all. In fact I'd say it has less swing flex than my old dynamic gold regular steel shafts from 10 years ago. I'm sure they don't and it's my incredibly slow swing speed that couldn't get al dente spaghetti to flex.

The 710's have a different impact sound. I read how they worked on it because it had too much of a hollow back impact feedback. It still doesn't sound like other irons being whacked on the driving range but all I care is they hit further and are really damn forgiving on miss hits.

So much so I have to use something to show where on the iron I'm making impact and most hits are edged towards the toe but don't have a miss hit feedback where you get vibration. The only indication is less loft and distance but not a considerable amount so the penalty of not hitting the sweet spot really isn't in play as much. 

I played9 holes a couple weeks ago with my brother using the new irons and only strayed off target twice. Neither OB but in the rough. Two putted every hole so at least my approach shots were good enough. I still have no control of my driver so I'm teeing off most long holes with a Mavrik 4 wood. I like that club.

Ping 710 are good clubs and not geezer at all. I bought these geezers recently and the cavity back style but they are not illegal and since I am a geezer I love them.  The par 5 where your second shot has to carry a gully and you were not hitting it in two anyway I ditched the 3 wood or hybrid for a 4 or 5 iron and hit further in play.   The P is slightly larger then the normal and they get a little larger as you go up.  These have helped the geezer shave lots of strokes. 

download (31).jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried out the Clevelands several times and tried to convince myself hitting what looked like a bag of rescue woods wouldn't bother me. It bothered me but I did like them far more than the Taylormade Sim Max series. 

I've spent most of my driving range practice on the short irons and have started to get that swing locked in a little more. Repetition, repetition, repetition until it starts to be habit instead of random luck that I can duplicate a swing.

Yesterday after warming up with the short irons I put a ball in a tee, pulled out the 4 wood and hit completely under the ball popping it up. %&×@#!!

After a few frustrating swings I dropped a ball on the mat and smacked it somewhat cleanly. It was then I realized on my woods I was reaching on address, taking the club back outside and doing the typical roundhouse swing causing a push fade.

Tore that swing apart and got back to basics with hands closer to the body on address and in the backswing and like magic the rotation became more balanced and found a tension point and released properly. Impact was more square and clubface wasn't closed down so I was getting the proper loft.

Moved on to the dreaded driver and it translated. Started to get the ball to land between the wickets of my target zone without that slice or push fade. No shot was exactly on target but if it was a fairway they would land in the short grass. 

Distance? Maybe someday it will be worth noting but at least the swing I am developing isn't costing me yardage. Having the longest drive into the sand or treeline hasn't worked well for my score in the past.

I have another week of practice before my brother comes in from Arizona and we play a round as a foursome. It should be a fun round with the usual shit talking and loose rules scoring. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

168 par 3 and hit the 7 just right of the pin and guy thought I hit a hybrid.  Nope, it says 7, I got over how big they look.  Guy is a good golfer and next hole par 5 he was around 190 out and said let me see that 7 and hit it in the middle of the green.  They aren't for everyone but not just old man clubs, they have made me slow down my swing if anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

He is not going to walk for another 3 months or more. He may never be able to play golf competitively again due to all of the damage. He has had multiple knee and back surgeries and this is going to mess up his mobility for a long time. I doubt the ankle can do a round of golf after this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He is not going to walk for another 3 months or more. He may never be able to play golf competitively again due to all of the damage. He has had multiple knee and back surgeries and this is going to mess up his mobility for a long time. I doubt the ankle can do a round of golf after this. 

How do you know?

Link to post
Share on other sites

an MD this morning said the normal healing time for this kind of bone breaks is 8 weeks. add to that the ankle injury and how severe that was, and you're looking at substantial time to recover. you hope that he's able to just walk normally again let alone play competitive golf.

that said, we've seen very few people with the competitive drive that tiger has. that might be the quality that pushes him to fight like hell to recover from this. as for his golf career, it will remain a complete unknown for at least a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lou said:

How do you know?

My nice broke her ankle and had a 3 month timeline for putting any weight on it. She did it on a simple fall on a walk. My mother worked her ass of in PT for four months to be able to use a cain to attend my father's funeral after breaking her tibia and having a rod inserted. Tiger has both ankle break with screws and tibia with a rod inserted with screws. Three months is a pretty optimistic timeline. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

My nice broke her ankle and had a 3 month timeline for putting any weight on it. She did it on a simple fall on a walk. My mother worked her ass of in PT for four months to be able to use a cain to attend my father's funeral after breaking her tibia and having a rod inserted. Tiger has both ankle break with screws and tibia with a rod inserted with screws. Three months is a pretty optimistic timeline. 

You didn't say 3 months. And your nice's injury had nothing to do with Tiger's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lou said:

You didn't say 3 months. And your nice's injury had nothing to do with Tiger's.

 

14 hours ago, Blarg said:

He is not going to walk for another 3 months or more.

I think I did and you are being argumentative for no point or purpose. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lou said:

Ny original question was about this statement: 

"He may never be able to play golf competitively again due to all of the damage"

You are changing the argument but there is that distinct possibility. 

Just now, Lou said:

Also, comparing your mom to Tiger is ridiculous.

Nope, that is the numbers for this kind of compound fracture of the tibia for anyone. It is you who is being ridiculous.

I had a cleanout of my right ankle four years ago. It was a simple debridement at the achilles but required a 3 month period from surgery to the first day of PT to put weight on the surgically repaired area. It took a year to regain about 90% of the calf's original strength. I'm sure Wood's will put more emphasis on strength and conditioning as an athlete but it still takes a year for full recovery. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...