• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2019 Bullpen

Lou

Last night was a blueprint about winning games with this kind of lineup. Excellent pitching, good defense, timely hitting.

Even without the Boar blast the team looked ready to finish with a 3-2 win. The insurance was nice, but the three relievers were mostly in control and made few mistakes. Allen's velocity is edging up, and he seems to be putting last year behind him. The other two guys were hitting the mid to high nineties consistently and used their other pitches strategically well. The Brewers are a very good and smart hitting team and mistakes were held to a minimum last night.

If the starters keep going for a solid six I think the bullpen will settle in with defined roles and get into a rhythm where they can gain some more confidence and momentum. Of course, chaos can ensue at any time, and it will periodically. But the starters are the key. 

Without Trout being Superman at the plate last night we saw how this team has to scratch out runs. RBI's by committee. No one else is hot enough to be confident in at the moment. But by battling through each at bat anyone can be a hero at any time. One key timely hit can justify three or four unproductive at bats. It's not about individual stats, but situational performance. 

I try to focus more on who makes important plays rather than on the abstractions of the math, stats, analytics. Who fails or succeeds in clutch situations. At bat, on the mound,  in the field and on the base paths. 

Last night was a perfect example of how the Angels need to play when Trout or anyone else isn't dominating.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Since guys are garbage after two weeks, I’m glad to see AW is consistent both ways. 

Based on history the offense atm (until people come back) is largely garbage. The bullpen has the potential to be be elite consistently. I should have clarified. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Remember that Jose Alvarez for Luis Garcia trade?

Garcia: 1.50 ERA, Alvarez 20.25 ERA and gave up the game losing 3-run bomb to Juan Soto tonight in the 10th. 

Throw in David Robertson's suckage and it's apparent that Klentak and Epp don't use the same criteria when evaluating relievers

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Garcia has shown good stuff.  The big nit was going to be whether he threw strikes and so far so good.  

I don't get the Bard infatuation.  He reminds me of Mike Kohn where the arm just doesn't translate.  

At least with Kohn the argument could be made the Angels never got to see his best stuff as he was hurt while still in the minors and the stuff never fully came back.   

Bard's one of those guys that should be wrecking house and just doesn't.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

At least with Kohn the argument could be made the Angels never got to see his best stuff as he was hurt while still in the minors and the stuff never fully came back.   

Bard's one of those guys that should be wrecking house and just doesn't.

Bard has pitched 17.1 innings in the majors.

He also has three years of options.

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Bard has pitched 17.1 innings in the majors.

He also has three years of options.

Yeah, it's too early to write him off completely despite my comment but, mostly I was trying to say there may have been a reason why Kohn failed to play to play up to his minor league track record.

Three years of options is nice indeed.

In his entire mlb career Bard pitched I. 12 games.  He has pitch in 17 and a third innings.  Take out his one bad game  against Boston and he would have approximately 3.00 era.  I have to say the jury still has to be out on him.  One bad game against a great hitting  team should not determine his career.  Let's see when he gets more games under his belt.

So far this bullpen has been amazing and deep. Last night against a good team they used Robles to close it out.   Where is he on your list for possible closers on this team?  At best third behind Buttrey and Allen, maybe fourth if you include Garcia, hell some would include Justin Anderson as well.  This also means for the time being there’s no reason to rush Middleton back.