• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tommy La Stella

Just to illustrate how quickly things can change when the sample size is too small: 

La Stella OPS .789

Fletcher .613 

Fletcher was at .708 after his 3-hit game, and since then he’s 1 for 7.

I would expect either Fletcher or Ward to start in place of Cozart today. (Cozart’s performance has gotten to the volume that it’s fair to sit him maybe half the time and bat him 9th until he turns it around, but not to bench him entirely or release him.)

While we’re at it, Bour’s OPS went from .353 to .575 in 3 games. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

11 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Just to illustrate how quickly things can change when the sample size is too small: 

La Stella OPS .789

Fletcher .613 

I would expect either Fletcher or Ward to start in place of Cozart today. (Cozart’s performance has gotten to the volume that it’s fair to sit him maybe half the time and bat him 9th until he turns it around, but not to bench him entirely or release him.)

and now we love him...until he sucks again then hes garbage and we question every decision eppler is making....pretty straight forward stuff Jeff :P

Fantasy baseball has made fools of lots of baseball fans.  Some think real baseball should operate in the same way - where rosters change on a daily basis.  It's funny how many people think like this.  We knew going in that La Stella was a sold on base guy and swung the bat from the left side. He filled a need and fit Eppler's plan.  He's a small piece - but people act like he's THE piece that will either make or break the team. 

I think when all is said and done - most fans who gripe about La Stella are just a little over the top in their love for David Fletcher.  I get it. It's what fans do.

38 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Fantasy baseball has made fools of lots of baseball fans.  Some think real baseball should operate in the same way - where rosters change on a daily basis.  It's funny how many people think like this.  We knew going in that La Stella was a sold on base guy and swung the bat from the left side. He filled a need and fit Eppler's plan.  He's a small piece - but people act like he's THE piece that will either make or break the team. 

I think when all is said and done - most fans who gripe about La Stella are just a little over the top in their love for David Fletcher.  I get it. It's what fans do.

Playing the hot guy gets you the best lineup yesterday. Guys can cool off or heat up any game. La Stella wouldn't have been playing the last two 

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

okay, yeah, but the scar.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

La Stella OPS .789

Fletcher .613 

you should know by now that logic, common sense, and patience are enemy combatants on this message board.

13 minutes ago, Tank said:

you should know by now that logic, common sense, and patience are enemy combatants on this message board.

Ha. I get it. 

I bet if everyone applied the same logic and common sense to their baseball fandom that they apply to whatever they do for a living, they’d see things a lot differently.

And I have to admit, it’s hard for me to identify with you guys because it’s been a long time since I was a fan. I’ve now had more years as a baseball writer than I had as a baseball fan. (And twice as many if you exclude the really irrational age 9-15 period.)

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ha. I get it. 

I bet if everyone applied the same logic and common sense to their baseball fandom that they apply to whatever they do for a living, they’d see things a lot differently.

And I have to admit, it’s hard for me to identify with you guys because it’s been a long time since I was a fan. I’ve now had more years as a baseball writer than I had as a baseball fan. (And twice as many if you exclude the really irrational age 9-15 period.)

Jeff - Clearly - you need to quit your job and start living again.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ha. I get it. 

What team are/were you a fan of? And do you ever become emotionally attached to the team you are covering?

37 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

What team are/were you a fan of? And do you ever become emotionally attached to the team you are covering?

I was as die-hard a Mariners fan as you can be from about age 12 to 27. When I was kid growing up in Ohio, I thought they had cool uniforms when I was 9 and they also had the All-Star Game in the Kingdome that year. So I’d stay up listening to staticy radio broadcasts when they’d be playing the Indians or Tigers or Yankees or some team whose AM signal I could get. Otherwise I’d just keep waiting for those bottom line updates at :28 and :58 on ESPN.

The pinnacle moment of my entire life as a baseball fan was - sorry - 1995. 

Then in 1997 I started covering MLB and quickly lost all emotional attachment. 

Now I root for me. I root for interesting stories. I root for outcomes that help me get trips to make platinum (one round trip to the east coast in October gets me there). I root for games to go fast so I can make my flights. I root for whoever is winning in the 7th to hold on so I don’t have to rewrite my story. I root for the stories I’ve already planned to still work when they run. (The story on the Angels hitting coaches was going to be much different when I did the interviews in spring training than it ended up being after game 6.)

In general, I prefer the Angels win simply because more people read my stories when they do, and my job remains more relevant. But it doesn’t bother me when they lose. 

21 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The pinnacle moment of my entire life as a baseball fan was - sorry - 1995.

You're dead to me.

Then again...

22 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Then in 1997 I started covering MLB and quickly lost all emotional attachment. 

Sounds like you're dead inside anyway.