• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tommy La Stella

Guys, they’re both going to play. If one gets hot, he’ll play more. 

With the Angels down 2 hitters, they probably need to give the better offensive player first crack. 

Also, while there’s no doubt Fletcher is better than La Stella defensively, I wouldn’t freak out so much over two plays. All spring he looked fine. 

And Fletcher was about 2 for 20 to start the spring and then he had three straight good games and finished at .275. Don’t pay any attention to spring training. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

28 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Sample size here re: David Fletcher, @Jeff Fletcher.

Stella has appeared in 398 games, Fletcher just 81. 

I know that our future 2B is probably one of Jones or Rengifo and that Fletcher is more of a utility guy, but right now I believe he's the better option as Stella provides just a walk here and there and nothing really else. 

13 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I was willing to give him a shot at first as I think his bat will be fine, but not with defense like that.  He's a serious liability.  

Eppler really screwed up with this signing. There were so many options available way better than LaStella. Trade him or release him and bring up Rojas or Rengifo.

10 minutes ago, TroutTrumbo said:

Eppler really screwed up with this signing. There were so many options available way better than LaStella. Trade him or release him and bring up Rojas or Rengifo.

Yep. I'd much rather have Harrison, Moustakas, Lowrie, (actually insert anyone else) than Stella. 

I think I will wait more than two games before I am ready to release the guy.  We have zero idea if Rengifo will be any better since last year was his break out year.  If he gets off to a hot start and LaStella is still struggling then make the move.  But to make a move before April might be a little bit of fan silliness.  

Fletcher hit .291 and LaStella hit .167 during spring.

Fletcher is way better defensively 

Fletcher won the 2B job last season.

Absolute disgrace that LaStella gets the opening day job over Fletcher who is a spitting image of a true baseball player. Fletcher should start today vs a lefty and should be the every day from now on.  

19 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Fletcher hit .291 and LaStella hit .167 during spring.

Fletcher is way better defensively 

Fletcher won the 2B job last season.

Absolute disgrace that LaStella gets the opening day job over Fletcher who is a spitting image of a true baseball player. Fletcher should start today vs a lefty and should be the every day from now on.  

Different managers have different priorities.   Maybe Ausmus prioritizes offense over defense.

2 hours ago, TroutTrumbo said:

La Stella was a trade with the Cubs for a guy named Conor Lillis-White.I'm not sure that makes it any better.

58 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Different managers have different priorities.   Maybe Ausmus prioritizes offense over defense.

Logic and common sense have no place in a baseball discussion online.

knock it off.

Hey, guys! New member here. I’m sure Im beating a dead horse, but I scratched my head a little as well when I saw LaStella  start the last two days. I thought Fletcher earned his playing time. He’s a grinder. Regardless of OBP numbers, there are times where the lineup just plays out differently when you have certain guys in there. Let’s say kevin smith has a better obp than Lucroy, (not saying he does) it doesn’t mean that Smith is more of an offensive threat. I think they’re just playing the mix and match game especially when it comes to “analytics” now. It’s only game #2. Seeing that Fletch got in the game and had a hit may also be an indicator that Ausmus has a tight rope on players who are just analytical matchups at the moment. Just my thoughts...

Ward had options. LaStella did as well but threw a fit when he was supposed to be sent down last year. Cubs allowed it, Angels will face that later in the year.

Also, Cowart would’ve had that spot had he not been working on being a two way player because he at least is a left hander.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ok, I’ll be sure to remember that 81 games is too small a sample. 

Does that apply to everyone? 

To piggyback on Jeff's statement, defense sample size usually takes multiple seasons to stabilize, i.e. 81 games in defensive terms is a small sample.

Like Fletcher (David and Jeff) but let's not crown him a Prince of the Universe just yet.