• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Upton out for 8-12 Weeks

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

In a way I agree with #2 because you can move another aging player to 1B like Upton.  He is under contract for many more years.  He sucks in the OF.  Angels have to play him somewhere.  Doesn't he belong at 1B soon?

I wouldn't say soon. definitely not until we find a productive replacement 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

28 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

In a way I agree with #2 because you can move another aging player to 1B like Upton.  He is under contract for many more years.  He sucks in the OF.  Angels have to play him somewhere.  Doesn't he belong at 1B soon?

Stop with the narrative of him sucking in left field.   Look at the metrics, he’s in the top third of the league for left fielders.  

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

If the Angels management is really focused on this 2020 and beyond plan, doesn't it make sense to throw Upton at 1B?

Upton's defense in left is questionable.

The Angels have more OF depth in the minors than any other position and finding someone capable of playing LF is less difficult than solving other poaitions.

Further, if a bat at another position in the system breaks out (where there is no vacancy at the major league level), put them in left.  It is the easiest defensive position on the field.

Putting Upton at 1B does block Thaiss.  But is Thaiss special or is he just the "next in line" 1B guy in the system?

My best guess is Upton is a more productive major league 1B than Thaiss.

What makes you think Upton can play first? Or that anyone wants him to?

17 hours ago, Kody Mac said:

I've never had turf toe, but I find it difficult to believe a professional athlete is sidelined for 8-12 weeks for a toe injury unless it's straight up broken.

I had a broken big toe when I was in high school (tackled in a sandlot football game and it went straight into the ground). My doctor told me that nothing could be done treatment-wise. "If it hurts, don't do it." That was literally my medical advice. I was back on the same field the following weekend.

32 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I had a broken big toe when I was in high school (tackled in a sandlot football game and it went straight into the ground). My doctor told me that nothing could be done treatment-wise. "If it hurts, don't do it." That was literally my medical advice. I was back on the same field the following weekend.

Upton wold have been fortunate if it was only broken. 

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

Upton will be playing in left field until Pujols retires. Thaiss will be the full time first baseman after this season. 

You may be right.  Part of my angle is I am not really sold on Thaiss yet so I think that might be a problem.

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yes because defensive metrics are so, so reliable.

Would you rather have in his prime Donaldson at 3rd base who makes a lot of errors but gets to more balls than anyone else.   Or would you rather have a guy with average ranger that makes less errors.  Donaldson still creates more outs than the other guy even with the errors.  Well Upton makes more outs on balls out of the average left fielders range than any other left fielder.  

His power is his biggest asset. Much needed in the middle of the lineup. Left field has always been where defensive challenged hitters are parked if first (sometimes third) are both options.

He is competent enough in the outfield. Maybe some experimentation at first base but not a commitment yet. Even a weak experienced fielder is a better option than an inexperienced player. At least a Pujols for instance understands positioning and tendencies even if slow and limited in range. 

Tough break with the Upton injury though. Hopefully by the time he and Ohtani return the team can find ways to compensate. 

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Would you rather have in his prime Donaldson at 3rd base who makes a lot of errors but gets to more balls than anyone else.   Or would you rather have a guy with average ranger that makes less errors.  Donaldson still creates more outs than the other guy even with the errors.  Well Upton makes more outs on balls out of the average left fielders range than any other left fielder.  

Look I really don't want to argue.  I am sharing my opinion.  I have watched baseball for 45 years and coached 30 teams.  My eye tells me Upton ia not a very good outfielder.

My guess is he will get worse.

If you disagree, it is cool.

Edited by Dtwncbad

26 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Look I really don't want to argue.  I am sharing my opinion.  I have watched baseball for 45 years and coached 30 teams.  My eye tells me Upton ia not a very good outfielder.

My guess is he will get worse.

If you disagree, it is cool.

I agree he will get worse.