• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Sign RP Sam Freeman to minor league deal

Per sources on Twitter. 

For the Braves, he's throw 110.1 IP in 121 games over the last two years, with a 3.34 ERA (2.25 in '17, 4.29 in '18) with a good FIP (3.49) and K/9 (9.5) numbers in that time. Gives up a lot of walks, but keeps the ball in the yard.

Good pick-up to replace Jennings!

Edited by totdprods

4 minutes ago, jordan said:

I read through the comments on this tweet and 98% of the people were glad to see him gone from the Braves. His numbers look pretty good. So I’m not sure what the missing part to this is. 

The missing part is all fans hate all relief pitchers on their favorite team that aren’t absolute studs.  

4 hours ago, jordan said:

I read through the comments on this tweet and 98% of the people were glad to see him gone from the Braves. His numbers look pretty good. So I’m not sure what the missing part to this is. 

I feel like a fan's satisfaction with a reliever directly correlates to his WPA because it measures results irrespective of era.  

ATL fans are going to remember what happened last season which was a -1.21 WPA for freeman.  

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I feel like a fan's satisfaction with a reliever directly correlates to his WPA because it measures results irrespective of era.  

ATL fans are going to remember what happened last season which was a -1.21 WPA for freeman.  

i haven't got a clue what those numbers mean.

all i can think of is Works Project Administration, but i don't believe FDR's program related to 21st century baseball analytics.

i could be wrong, however.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Once again... analytics. Don’t look at ERA. 

Oh I'm looking at much more than ERA.

Over the last 3 years:

Jose Alvarez:

image.thumb.png.647147b0c60d76818fb0097e09ad784a.png

Luis Garcia:

image.thumb.png.3631eefe7d7b6cc51128ce7cbb97de96.png

Garcia has a tiny edge in K/9 and H/9 to go with a harder fast ball.

Alvarez has the better WHIP, ERA+, innings, K/BB ratio and is generally less wild (look at the wild pitches). Garcia is all over the place. 

10 minutes ago, Tank said:

i haven't got a clue what those numbers mean.

all i can think of is Works Project Administration, but i don't believe FDR's program related to 21st century baseball analytics.

i could be wrong, however.

win probability added.  each at bat either adds or subtracts to the probability that your team will win.  it also takes leverage into account so you get more for doing well in a big spot or dinged more for doing poorly in a big spot.  

fangraphs has a good stat call shutdown (SD) or meltdown (MD) that tells you how a reliever performed.  kind of a more modern version of saves and holds or blown S or H

nether of these give you any indication as to the likelihood that the pitcher/hitter will perform similarly going forward.