• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

More Christie Greatness

I saw him on Today with Matt Lauer this morning. I thought that he was very open and honest about the challenges his state has faced, and the ones that remain. He strikes me as a guy who does things because he believes that they are right, not because they are politically expedient. I respect that.

• 3 weeks later...

And now he's tilting back to the right, saying he doesn't support the SC decision on DOMA.

Gotta appease the base, I guess. 

That's important too, I guess, but he is at Tony Sopranos funeral. That makes him presidential material.

Or maybe that's really what he thinks

That could very well be, but with politicians you never know.  I just think he's trying to mend fences with that base he'll need for the primaries against the other candidates.  Romney illustrated that a republican needs to go harcore conservative to get the republican nomination, but that won't win the election. 

That said, if the republicans get a clue and nominate Christie or Johnson (ha ha, yeah right, Johnson) in '16 I'll vote for either of them. 

That could very well be, but with politicians you never know.  I just think he's trying to mend fences with that base he'll need for the primaries against the other candidates.  Romney illustrated that a republican needs to go harcore conservative to get the republican nomination, but that won't win the election. 

That said, if the republicans get a clue and nominate Christie or Johnson (ha ha, yeah right, Johnson) in '16 I'll vote for either of them. 

This is the needle Christie has to thread. To make it out of the primary he has to cater to the extremists on the right, and in doing so he'll turn off folks in the middle. I haven't followed him all that closely, but from what I can tell I doubt he can pull it off in the primary, at some point he's going to just blow up and call a wingnut a wingnut, or refuse to toe the line on the latest outrage. Dealing with conservatives in NJ is nothing like he's going to face in a midwest or southern primary.

I think it's fairly standard practice to run more to the extreme left/right during the primary and then run more to the center during the general.

I wouldn't disagree with that statement, though I think it's fairly obvious that this is a significantly bigger issue for Republican candidates. For the most part, the far left gets a few bones tossed their way, but they don't have an outsized influence on a lot of primary races. But for Republicans, that is not the case at all. The last few years there has been a significant demand for idealogical purity and having to cater to the extreme right side of the party, making the candidate unelectable in the general...and there is a lot of evidence to back that up...look at what happened in California...and look at what happened to the Republicans in the Senate. Hell, you might even be able to put Romney and McCain in that category as well to some extent.

I'm trying to think of a corresponding example on the Democratic side and the closest I can come is Joe Lieberman being bounced in the primary only to eventually win as an independent (while still caucusing with the Democrats).