• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Williams Jerez traded to San Francisco in exchange for Chris Stratton

rafibomb

2 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

His ERA was just a bit of smoke and mirrors, though. I don’t think he’s bad at all, but he’s more Parker Bridwell than Max Scherzer. 

(Insert 99% of all pitchers here) is more Parker Bridwell than Max Scherzer.

Max Scherzer is a freak of nature. And his eyes are two different colors.

14 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yes the A’s and Rays had better years last year because of exactly what Eppler has been focusing on, they had better years because they have had more time to develop their farm system.  If Eppler spends his money available on the best talent on the market then you just helped the team short term because it will cost you draft picks and international money which you turn into more prospects.  The A’s and Rays never do that, Eppler has yet to do that, because all three of those entities understand the importance of building a team the right way.  

Welcome back, it is always nice to have a guy that says complete nonsense on here, we have lost a couple over the years.  Enjoy being the “edgy guy”.  

Really not trying to be edgy guy or a troll.  And I've been around, just not posting so I don't spend hours of my day arguing nonsense as you put it.  Just upset with losing and not impressed with at least 75 percent of the moves we've made.  We haven't won a playoff game in 9 years despite having the best player in generations.  The results speaks for themselves despite how everyone on here rationalizes them. 

I agree with developing a farm system being the best way to win and he has done well at improving ours.  I just don't agree with the majority of his free agent acquisitions.  Tell me where I'm wrong. 

For everyone saying Cozart only played a third of a year give him a chance...he's had a 7 year career in a hitters park prior to that and produced a .711 OPS.  It was a bad signing. 

7 minutes ago, Quinlanforthewin said:

Really not trying to be edgy guy or a troll.  And I've been around, just not posting so I don't spend hours of my day arguing nonsense as you put it.  Just upset with losing and not impressed with at least 75 percent of the moves we've made.  We haven't won a playoff game in 9 years despite having the best player in generations.  The results speaks for themselves despite how everyone on here rationalizes them. 

I agree with developing a farm system being the best way to win and he has done well at improving ours.  I just don't agree with the majority of his free agent acquisitions.  Tell me where I'm wrong. 

For everyone saying Cozart only played a third of a year give him a chance...he's had a 7 year career in a hitters park prior to that and produced a .711 OPS.  It was a bad signing. 

Ok Cozart was bad.  Upton opted out so he was a free agent and was a good signing. Ohtani was a good signing.  Who would you have liked them to sign that doesn’t affect the farm?   Who was a bad free agent signing?  

Just now, Stradling said:

Ok Cozart was bad.  Upton opted out so he was a free agent and was a good signing. Ohtani was a good signing.  Who would you have liked them to sign that doesn’t affect the farm?   Who was a bad free agent signing?  

He is the master of finding a few productive players that everyone else has cast off, even if as I said earlier of course he's going to have success with a few  out of the dozens he brings in.  But almost everyone he has brought in with the intent to play a significant role for this team other than Upton Simmons and Ohtani has been a poor addition. Nava, Gentry, Pennington, Espinosa, Cozart, Kinsler, Valbuena, Chris Young,  Revere, Soto...I'm sure I'm missing a few more of his choices. All these guys were brought in with the expectation of having a significant role and were awful.  Not even going to mention the pitching additions because I think we can both agree the entire staff has been a dumpster fire since he got here.  Again, the results speak for themselves, we've been under .500 for three straight years with him despite having Trout, at some point he deserves some blame. 

14 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The move puzzled me, but these guys spend a lot more time analyzing these decisions than you or I do. I wouldn't worry about it having a huge impact because you're talking about one out of every 5 games and in a small sample it's probably not going to make a lot of difference. 

8.1 H/9, 3.3 BB/9, 6.8 K/9, WHIP 1.268, FIP 4.58, xwOBA .327

9.5 H/9, 3.4 BB/9, 7.0 K/9, WHIP 1.428, FIP 4.48, xwOBA .356

8.4 H/9, 2.7 BB/9, 8.3 K/9, WHIP 1.241, FIP 4.05, xwOBA .305

These are Stratton, Pena and Barria. (I won't tell you which is which.) They are pretty much interchangeable, except one of them has no options and two of them have options.

the middle one seems to be clearly the worst of the group and yet after checking his stats, that's Stratton...makes no sense.  1.42 WHIP...good lord. And that's actually the lowest WHIP of his career. 

1 hour ago, Quinlanforthewin said:

He is the master of finding a few productive players that everyone else has cast off, even if as I said earlier of course he's going to have success with a few  out of the dozens he brings in.  But almost everyone he has brought in with the intent to play a significant role for this team other than Upton Simmons and Ohtani has been a poor addition. Nava, Gentry, Pennington, Espinosa, Cozart, Kinsler, Valbuena, Chris Young,  Revere, Soto...I'm sure I'm missing a few more of his choices. All these guys were brought in with the expectation of having a significant role and were awful.  Not even going to mention the pitching additions because I think we can both agree the entire staff has been a dumpster fire since he got here.  Again, the results speak for themselves, we've been under .500 for three straight years with him despite having Trout, at some point he deserves some blame. 

Ok, the Angels not making the playoffs is really not on Eppler, despite what you think.  Bottom line is the cupboard was so bare, that they had to fill way too many holes through free agency.  They haven’t had players that could come up and produce.  He took over a farm where they didn’t have the pieces to promote or to trade for other talent.  He took over a team with a bloated payroll with players on it that were no longer producing up to their contracts, guys like Weaver, Wilson, Street, Albert and Hamilton’s contract.  So now you have no one to promote to fill holes on the roster.  You have no one to trade to acquire those players needed to fill the holes.  You also have limited payroll to fill those holes.  Yep, this isn’t on Eppler, sorry.  He hasn’t saddled the team with long term expensive contracts.  He hasn’t overpaid for players on long term deals because “they were the best available”.  Sure he screwed up with Valbuena (for two years) and Cozart.  The rest of those guys you mention were one year deals and none of them hamstring the team going forward.  The team has been able to promote one minor leaguer to be a position player for this coming year, in Fletcher.  He is the first position player they promoted from their minor leagues to help with this problem.  That is one in three years, two if you count Ward.  They promoted one starting pitcher in Barría.  Think about that.  Of the current bullpen possibly two are from our farm, Bedrosian and Anderson.  And you are trying to blame Eppler.  It is such brutal nonsense, which is why everyone is giving you a hard time about being the edgy guy.  So if you are keeping track here is the list of guys on the current roster that were with the organization prior to Eppler:

Albert, Trout, Kole, Fletcher, Anderson, Bedrosian, Skaggs, Heaney, Barría.  I think that is about it.  The rest he had to acquire without a farm and without much money to spend.  To blame him is idiotic.  

22 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

His ERA was just a bit of smoke and mirrors, though. I don’t think he’s bad at all, but he’s more Parker Bridwell than Max Scherzer. 

Barria is really young. It is probably best for him to get more seasoning at AAA.  I could see them working on stretching out his pitching - to get to the 7th inning, which is something he hasn't done in his career.  

19 hours ago, Stradling said:

I hate to get technical (no I don't) but Upton just signed a deal to add on one more year at $18 million and didn't opt out.  Would he have opted out if there was no deal? Maybe

19 hours ago, Stradling said:

Ok, the Angels not making the playoffs is really not on Eppler, despite what you think.  Bottom line is the cupboard was so bare, that they had to fill way too many holes through free agency.  They haven’t had players that could come up and produce.  He took over a farm where they didn’t have the pieces to promote or to trade for other talent.  He took over a team with a bloated payroll with players on it that were no longer producing up to their contracts, guys like Weaver, Wilson, Street, Albert and Hamilton’s contract.  So now you have no one to promote to fill holes on the roster.  You have no one to trade to acquire those players needed to fill the holes.  You also have limited payroll to fill those holes.  Yep, this isn’t on Eppler, sorry.  He hasn’t saddled the team with long term expensive contracts.  He hasn’t overpaid for players on long term deals because “they were the best available”.  Sure he screwed up with Valbuena (for two years) and Cozart.  The rest of those guys you mention were one year deals and none of them hamstring the team going forward.  The team has been able to promote one minor leaguer to be a position player for this coming year, in Fletcher.  He is the first position player they promoted from their minor leagues to help with this problem.  That is one in three years, two if you count Ward.  They promoted one starting pitcher in Barría.  Think about that.  Of the current bullpen possibly two are from our farm, Bedrosian and Anderson.  And you are trying to blame Eppler.  It is such brutal nonsense, which is why everyone is giving you a hard time about being the edgy guy.  So if you are keeping track here is the list of guys on the current roster that were with the organization prior to Eppler:

Albert, Trout, Kole, Fletcher, Anderson, Bedrosian, Skaggs, Heaney, Barría.  I think that is about it.  The rest he had to acquire without a farm and without much money to spend.  To blame him is idiotic.  

I understand what you're saying, I'm not saying Eppler is awful and every move he's made is a disaster. I'm simply saying he deserves some criticism after three years of the team being  under .500. I'll try to simplify my gripe with Eppler.  The vast majority of players he has brought in to be a part of the major league roster have not just been below average, they have been completely awful.  I get that they're all one year deals and their contracts haven't hamstrung the franchise going forward, but I would have expected someone he signs to perform at a below average to average level.  These guys have been so atrocious that it likely cost us the playoffs at least once. I don't see it changing this year, I dislike pretty much everyone he signed yet again (Harvey, Cahill, Lucroy, Bour, La Stella). It's more of the same and absolutely hilarious to me that they're acting like this team is going to compete for a playoff spot. 

the deal makes sense to me -- Angels was Barria to get some more starts at SLC - AAA and are going with Stratton who is a bit more seasoned.

Stratton more likely to give the Halos some innings where they probably have to watch Barria more in terms of IP.

Barria with this rotation of guys (many of whom may accumulate 'days on the IR') will be back up with the big club by mid-May if not sooner.

as for Stratton -- anyone nick name him "Monty' yet?  Does the name Monty Stratton even ring a bell with MLB fans these days??