• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Williams Jerez traded to San Francisco in exchange for Chris Stratton

rafibomb

11 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

JC Ramírez, Felix Peña, Parker Bridwell, Blake Parker, Yusmiero Petit, Bud Norris, Hansel Robles.

Eppler got all of them for nothing and all did better than expected, to varying degrees. 

None of them displaced possibly our best starter last season though.  I think we all know Barria wont be down for long but i dont like this message at all.  We open with a long stretch in division if this doesnt pay dividends quickly its going to hurt. 

10 hours ago, Quinlanforthewin said:

I put signing Ohtani on the same level as extending Trout.  Obviously great moves but it doesn't exactly take a genius GM to recognize you need to go after those guys if your owner says you can. 

There were 29 other GMs that went after Ohtani aggressively, but he went with us at least partly because of the relationship Eppler had built with him ever since Eppler was on the Yankees' staff.

7 hours ago, Quinlanforthewin said:

And yet none of the teams he's assembled have come close to winning a single playoff game despite all these great accomplishments you list. And before you go referencing his available resources I'll just remind you that the A's and Rays had a significantly better record than us last year.  He needs to make better decisions with whatever money he does have available and spending 20 million on injury prone retreads like Harvey and Cahill and choosing Chris Stratton over Barria is going in the wrong direction. I don't expect to win an Eppler is incompetent argument here, but he shouldn't be blameless in this franchise's continued lack of success. 

Yes the A’s and Rays had better years last year because of exactly what Eppler has been focusing on, they had better years because they have had more time to develop their farm system.  If Eppler spends his money available on the best talent on the market then you just helped the team short term because it will cost you draft picks and international money which you turn into more prospects.  The A’s and Rays never do that, Eppler has yet to do that, because all three of those entities understand the importance of building a team the right way.  

Welcome back, it is always nice to have a guy that says complete nonsense on here, we have lost a couple over the years.  Enjoy being the “edgy guy”.  

19 minutes ago, floplag said:

None of them displaced possibly our best starter last season though.  I think we all know Barria wont be down for long but i dont like this message at all.  We open with a long stretch in division if this doesnt pay dividends quickly its going to hurt. 

The move puzzled me, but these guys spend a lot more time analyzing these decisions than you or I do. I wouldn't worry about it having a huge impact because you're talking about one out of every 5 games and in a small sample it's probably not going to make a lot of difference. 

8.1 H/9, 3.3 BB/9, 6.8 K/9, WHIP 1.268, FIP 4.58, xwOBA .327

9.5 H/9, 3.4 BB/9, 7.0 K/9, WHIP 1.428, FIP 4.48, xwOBA .356

8.4 H/9, 2.7 BB/9, 8.3 K/9, WHIP 1.241, FIP 4.05, xwOBA .305

These are Stratton, Pena and Barria. (I won't tell you which is which.) They are pretty much interchangeable, except one of them has no options and two of them have options.

32 minutes ago, floplag said:

Christ, Barria isn't dead, he's just in AAA. 

Depth is good, he'll be back soon enough. I for one feel good knowing we have actual good players waiting in the wings at AAA for once, instead of minor-league vets, AAAA journeymen, and totally green prospects.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The move puzzled me, but these guys spend a lot more time analyzing these decisions than you or I do. I wouldn't worry about it having a huge impact because you're talking about one out of every 5 games and in a small sample it's probably not going to make a lot of difference. 

These are Stratton, Pena and Barria. (I won't tell you which is which.) They are pretty much interchangeable, except one of them has no options and two of them have options.

Hey Fletch, is Barría paid as a major leaguer this year or as a minor leaguer during his time in the minor leagues?  

12 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

JC Ramírez, Felix Peña, Parker Bridwell, Blake Parker, Yusmiero Petit, Bud Norris, Hansel Robles.

Eppler got all of them for nothing and all did better than expected, to varying degrees. 

Speaking of parker bridwell....what's he doing now,?

25 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I get that, i just think it sucks for Barria.  He earned that spot on the ML roster.  For the athlete it sucks.  
Manipulation of options and service time and all that crap, its got nothing to do with playing the game of baseball and is part of the reason i hate the business of baseball. 

26 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Christ, Barria isn't dead, he's just in AAA. 

Depth is good, he'll be back soon enough. I for one feel good knowing we have actual good players waiting in the wings at AAA for once, instead of minor-league vets, AAAA journeymen, and totally green prospects.

True, but thats got nothing to do with why i dont like this though.   

29 minutes ago, floplag said:

I get that, i just think it sucks for Barria.  He earned that spot on the ML roster.  For the athlete it sucks.  
Manipulation of options and service time and all that crap, its got nothing to do with playing the game of baseball and is part of the reason i hate the business of baseball. 

Yeah. Everyone's job has parts that suck. He'll get over it. 

The bottom line is if he's not up for significant time this season, it will mean that either he was bad at AAA or the Angels top 5 starters were so good and so healthy that they'll probably win 100 games.

5 hours ago, Glen said:

Minor quibble: with as much as players move around is "adjusting to a new league" really a thing? It seems like an excuse for when certain players suck.

Pujols took a while to adjust to the Angels. I’ve seen it happen more than once. 

2 hours ago, floplag said:

Barría was our best starter last season? Let’s be serious, if Barría was that good and had ‘earned his spot’, it would be Pena sent down, not Barría. 

47 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Pujols took a while to adjust to the Angels. I’ve seen it happen more than once. 

Barría was our best starter last season? Let’s be serious, if Barría was that good and had ‘earned his spot’, it would be Pena sent down, not Barría. 

His sub 3.50 ERA wasn't bad at all for a rookie.  Very surprised that he was sent down, granted he has options.

Stratton had better put up at least a sub 4.50 ERA. 

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

His sub 3.50 ERA wasn't bad at all for a rookie.  Very surprised that he was sent down, granted he has options.

He was a little lucky. As @Jeff Fletcher pointed out, the peripherals of Pena, Stratton, and Barria are similar enough that there likely won’t be a big difference over a short span. And given our injury troubles I’d rather take have three of those pitchers than two, so if it means one has to go to AAA for a spell in order to have that depth, so be it.

And also, there’s lots of signs that Stratton could be a White project learning what was applied similarly to Morton, McCullers, and McHugh.

Weaver and Lackey were both great in their rookie campaigns, and even better arguments for being our best pitcher in those years, and both had growing pains the following year or two.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

His ERA was just a bit of smoke and mirrors, though. I don’t think he’s bad at all, but he’s more Parker Bridwell than Max Scherzer. 

I have been lectured by Billy Eppler multiple times to stop looking at ERA.

if you guys want a front office that is analytically inclined, they are going to do things that fly in the face of your dad’s baseball stats. 

Get used to it. 

It doesn’t always work but I would say they’ve probably overachieved more than underachieved when you consider the injuries and who has actually been on the field. 

They won 80 games each of the last 2 years, instead of 70, because of guys like Bridwell, JC Ramírez, Felix Peña, David Hernandez, Yusmiero Petit, Blake Parker and Bud Norris.

The next step is growing some above average nucleus pieces of their own (Adell, Canning, Suarez, Marsh, etc) so they have the money to get legit FA’s around them (Cole instead of Cahill, Rendon instead of Cozart) and can still use their smarts to fill in the gaps. 

That is their plan.