• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Williams Jerez traded to San Francisco in exchange for Chris Stratton

rafibomb

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

DEPTH.

Ideally the Angels have a rotation of Skaggs, Harvey, Heaney, Cahill, and Stratton all healthy and producing in a month with a nearly as good rotation of Pena, Barria, Suarez, Canning, and Peters in the wings at AAA.

That way when three go down again we aren’t signing guys like Lincecum, trading for guys like Chacin, waiver claiming the next Daniel Wright. 

I’m sure Eppler is well aware of the benefits Barria brings over Stratton so you have to think this is part of a larger effort to insure us against another decimated rotation.

The difference between guys like Lincecum, Chacin and Daniel Wright and any of the above guys you mentioned other than injury prone Skaggs and Heaney is so minimal that it doesn't matter.  The pitching is a disaster.  Anytime you're saying "Ideally the rotation is" and then listing those five guys you know you have major problems. 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Why does that matter when we didn’t acquire Stratton through free agency.  I think he did well with Upton and Ohtani, who were both free agents.  I think he did poorly with Cozart.  I have no idea how he did with Cahill or Harvey.  

My rage over going into the season with this pitching staff made me forget Stratton was acquired via trade.  Upton was originally a trade and then he resigned him, so I'm not counting that, but even if we did he wasn't great last year for his contract. 

I put signing Ohtani on the same level as extending Trout.  Obviously great moves but it doesn't exactly take a genius GM to recognize you need to go after those guys if your owner says you can. 

I'm more referring to his lack of success with literally anyone that he's signed that he's had the confidence to put into a starting role

55 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Why does that matter when we didn’t acquire Stratton through free agency.  I think he did well with Upton and Ohtani, who were both free agents.  I think he did poorly with Cozart.  I have no idea how he did with Cahill or Harvey.  

I'm still holding out hope that a healthy Cozart gives us a decent season.

14 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I'm still holding out hope that a healthy Cozart gives us a decent season.

As am I. I don't understand the Cozart hate. He played a third of one season. I'll give him at least another half a season before passing judgement. I am hopeful he can rebound and slash .260/.320/.400 with good defense. 

50 minutes ago, Quinlanforthewin said:

My rage over going into the season with this pitching staff made me forget Stratton was acquired via trade.  Upton was originally a trade and then he resigned him, so I'm not counting that, but even if we did he wasn't great last year for his contract. 

I put signing Ohtani on the same level as extending Trout.  Obviously great moves but it doesn't exactly take a genius GM to recognize you need to go after those guys if your owner says you can. 

I'm more referring to his lack of success with literally anyone that he's signed that he's had the confidence to put into a starting role

Upton was very good relative to what he was paid last year.  

29 other teams went after Ohtani and we got him because of Eppler. 

The first person Trout mentioned at his extension rally was Billy Eppler.  

The worst farm in baseball to one of the better ones in three years. 

A bunch of retread pitchers who have actually been functional.  

Lincecum, Chacin and Daniel Wright are nowhere close to Harvey or Cahill.  

Buttrey, Sandoval, Sratton, Pena, Rengifo for almost nothing.  

oh and Andrelton Simmons.   

Cozart is his one miss so far and he's had half a season.  I'm not overly confident in a rebound, but based on Eppler's available resources, his misses have been Zack, Valbueana and Espinosa.  

Good luck on getting better results from where this team was.  

2 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Cozart and Valbuena (RIP) both made a lot of sense. Can’t blame Eppler for their underwhelming performances. Espinosa was a stop gap   position filler in a transition season that cost all of Trevor Gott - who has done nothing since, if I’m not mistaken. 

Gott was for Escobar.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Upton was very good relative to what he was paid last year.  

29 other teams went after Ohtani and we got him because of Eppler. 

The first person Trout mentioned at his extension rally was Billy Eppler.  

The worst farm in baseball to one of the better ones in three years. 

A bunch of retread pitchers who have actually been functional.  

Lincecum, Chacin and Daniel Wright are nowhere close to Harvey or Cahill.  

Buttrey, Sandoval, Sratton, Pena, Rengifo for almost nothing.  

oh and Andrelton Simmons.   

Cozart is his one miss so far and he's had half a season.  I'm not overly confident in a rebound, but based on Eppler's available resources, his misses have been Zack, Valbueana and Espinosa.  

Good luck on getting better results from where this team was.  

And yet none of the teams he's assembled have come close to winning a single playoff game despite all these great accomplishments you list. And before you go referencing his available resources I'll just remind you that the A's and Rays had a significantly better record than us last year.  He needs to make better decisions with whatever money he does have available and spending 20 million on injury prone retreads like Harvey and Cahill and choosing Chris Stratton over Barria is going in the wrong direction. I don't expect to win an Eppler is incompetent argument here, but he shouldn't be blameless in this franchise's continued lack of success. 

1 hour ago, Sean-Regan said:

Cozart and Valbuena (RIP) both made a lot of sense. Can’t blame Eppler for their underwhelming performances. Espinosa was a stop gap   position filler in a transition season that cost all of Trevor Gott - who has done nothing since, if I’m not mistaken. 

Cozart made no sense. He's white guy version of Gary Matthews Jr.  He was coming off a great contract year in a hitters park after a completely underwhelming career prior to that. 

1 hour ago, Quinlanforthewin said:

And yet none of the teams he's assembled have come close to winning a single playoff game despite all these great accomplishments you list. And before you go referencing his available resources I'll just remind you that the A's and Rays had a significantly better record than us last year.  He needs to make better decisions with whatever money he does have available and spending 20 million on injury prone retreads like Harvey and Cahill and choosing Chris Stratton over Barria is going in the wrong direction. I don't expect to win an Eppler is incompetent argument here, but he shouldn't be blameless in this franchise's continued lack of success. 

what were you hoping Eppler would do with the money he had available?

1 hour ago, Quinlanforthewin said:

Cozart made no sense. He's white guy version of Gary Matthews Jr.  He was coming off a great contract year in a hitters park after a completely underwhelming career prior to that. 

Elite defense; presumably able to play multiple positions; breakout at the plate after retooling his approach; short term deal - how is any of that a bad deal? What’d you want, Moustakas? Cozart made a lot of sense. 

Hot take: Cozart sucks.

Hotter take: Cozart has played less than 60 games for a new team in a new league from where he spent his career. That often takes adjustment. Will he return to 2017 Cozart? No. Will he be better than last year or even 2016? Far from impossible. Worst case, he gets released/traded some time this year. It was still a good bet. 

14 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

His avatar is Robb Quinlan. He’s either delusional or a troll. Don’t expect coherency from this one. 

oh, we know him. he's in the same category as Gritty and Canadian. 

welcome back, QFTW!

(we missed you after the Ohtani signing and Trout extension) 

3 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

Elite defense; presumably able to play multiple positions; breakout at the plate after retooling his approach; short term deal - how is any of that a bad deal? What’d you want, Moustakas? Cozart made a lot of sense. 

Hot take: Cozart sucks.

Hotter take: Cozart has played less than 60 games for a new team in a new league from where he spent his career. That often takes adjustment. Will he return to 2017 Cozart? No. Will he be better than last year or even 2016? Far from impossible. Worst case, he gets released/traded some time this year. It was still a good bet. 

Minor quibble: with as much as players move around is "adjusting to a new league" really a thing? It seems like an excuse for when certain players suck.

8 hours ago, wopphil said:

As am I. I don't understand the Cozart hate. He played a third of one season. I'll give him at least another half a season before passing judgement. I am hopeful he can rebound and slash .260/.320/.400 with good defense. 

I still think if we're not in the mix at the trade deadline and Cozart is having a decent year, he would be a trade chip for a team that needs a SS....if he's having a good offensive season, his defense at SS makes him valuable....not quite so much at 3b...