• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Williams Jerez traded to San Francisco in exchange for Chris Stratton

rafibomb

11 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I don’t think losing Jerez is a major blow but we’ll need to get some clarity on Stratton’s role

Yeah, I don't think it's a big deal one way or the other: it's just an odd one, to me.  Maybe they do see Stratton as a swingman or something.  It likely won't impact the season much, regardless. 

So he’s out of options, maybe it’s time MLB creates a two way contract, where when a player is out of options a team can buy an option year or something to that affect.  So you pay him more than league minimum but you have the freedom of sending him down at your convenience. 

23 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Should we wake up @Jeff Fletcher and ask his opinion on this?  

I wake up earlier when I’m at home because I take my son to school. Haha. I saw this and am somewhat puzzled myself, but it’s too early for me to bug Eppler.

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So he’s out of options, maybe it’s time MLB creates a two way contract, where when a player is out of options a team can buy an option year or something to that affect.  So you pay him more than league minimum but you have the freedom of sending him down at your convenience. 

Had a conversation with a player this spring and he suggested just that. It’s an interesting idea.

"Some saw Chris Stratton's 2017 performance and considered him a sleeper for 2018. In the end, his numbers regressed almost across the board. His home-run rate jumped up to 1.2 per nine innings, he struck out fewer batters (7.0 K/9) and he gave up much more hard contact than in 2017 (41.8% hard-hit rate in 2018 versus 28.4% in 2017). The 28-year-old did improve his control and showed some flashes of excellence, including a five-start stretch from late August to mid-September in which he compiled a 2.10 ERA with a complete-game shutout. His awful outings offset the strong ones, though, keeping his end-of-season ERA at 5.09. His 4.48 FIP suggests he suffered from some bad luck, but not a ton. Fortunately, he will likely maintain his spot in the rotation since he's out of options, so he should get a chance to improve"

Stratton did strikeout 15 batters over 15 innings this spring, posting a 4.60 ERA. He walked just 3.

Also, I think this just proves what we already know, which is that Billy Eppler really doesn't care about carrying a lefty reliever much at all. He traded Alvarez to get Garcia, just dealt Jerez and was able to pick up Dan Jennings off the strap heap despite Jennings having extebded runs of success in the majors. 

And I think at this point, with the bullpens that Eppler has constructed in the past, he deserves our trust.