• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can probably add Upton to the IL to start the season

Bourjos has officially made the team.

Rangers released Ben Revere, Denard Span is still a FA, and Brian Goodwin was a recently released/DFAed outfielder who could be an interesting pick-up.

My bet is they’ll roll with Fletcher and Bourjos covering LF and an extra IF, but could see Puello or a last-minute pick-up too. 

Edited by totdprods

7 hours ago, malotru said:

Way to miss the point. 

Are you aware of Upton’s annual salary and the average salary of a minor leaguer?

Are you aware of the typical MLE of the average minor leaguer?  
Are you aware of  how long LF was an issue for the Angels? 

I'm easily one of the biggest proponents of investing in the farm and was one of the most vocal critics of Dipoto and his failings there while most of you were still singing his praises, so... if this is your actual take then it's a pretty ignorant one.

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Bourjos has officially made the team.

Rangers released Ben Revere, Denard Span is still a FA, and Brian Goodwin was a recently released/DFAed outfielder who could be an interesting pick-up.

My bet is they’ll roll with Fletcher and Bourjos covering LF and an extra IF, but could see Puello or a last-minute pick-up too. 

I have always liked Revere but I'm a little intrigued with Goodwin....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/angels-select-peter-bourjos.html

So fangraphs has a defensive stat called OOZ which is out of zone plays made.  Upton is the highest ranked LFer in baseball in that category.  So we can pretend he is bad going back on balls, but he still makes more outs than any other left fielder on balls outside of a normal left fielders range.  

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

I have always liked Revere but I'm a little intrigued with Goodwin....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/angels-select-peter-bourjos.html

Assuming Upton is only out for a couple weeks, I think Goodwin would be a great guy to gamble on. Have him and Bourjos split LF and whoever produces stays on as the 4th OF when Upton returns.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

So fangraphs has a defensive stat called OOZ which is out of zone plays made.  Upton is the highest ranked LFer in baseball in that category.  So we can pretend he is bad going back on balls, but he still makes more outs than any other left fielder on balls outside of a normal left fielders range.  

I've said it multiple times.  He's got good range and bad hands.  So he actually gets to a lot of stuff but then looks awkward trying to field it.  He'll get himself into a good position to field the ball more than most would and then screw a few of those up.  The offset is that he's a decent defender.  He would be a great defender if he could wrangle everything he get to (yeah, I wrote wrangle).  

23 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I've said it multiple times.  He's got good range and bad hands.  So he actually gets to a lot of stuff but then looks awkward trying to field it.  He'll get himself into a good position to field the ball more than most would and then screw a few of those up.  The offset is that he's a decent defender.  He would be a great defender if he could wrangle everything he get to (yeah, I wrote wrangle).  

Spot on. Also has a decent arm, but occasional lapses mentally too. Overall, he isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be. Heck, overall he isn't as bad as a player as some here make him out to be. He had some awful luck and a down year with RISP and had a big down year for doubles, but still gave us like 80-90 RBIs, 3-4 WAR, a good bit of walks, and 30 HR. 

Hopefully he isn't out very long - I feel like he still has a near .900 OPS season or two in him. 

He reminds me a bit of this player...
Player A: .265/.360/.467/.827, OPS+ 115, averaging 25 doubles, 25 HR, 74 BB, 152 K per 162 games through age 30 and 2.2 WAR annually
J. Upton: .268/.348/.478/.826, OPS+ 121, averaging 32 doubles, 28 HR, 69 BB, 171 K per 162 games through age 30 and 2.9 WAR annually

Player A's next four years, age 31-34 seasons?
.283/.373/.475/.848, OPS+ 129, averaging 27 doubles, 25 HR, 82 BB, 147 K per 162 games

Player A is Jayson Werth, someone who was kind of continually knocked for his contract and for having too many holes in his game and some durability issues, but at the end of day, put up a hell of good career, and actually improved into his 30s after the steroid era.

Edited by totdprods

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Are you aware of the typical MLE of the average minor leaguer?  
Are you aware of  how long LF was an issue for the Angels? 

I'm easily one of the biggest proponents of investing in the farm and was one of the most vocal critics of Dipoto and his failings there while most of you were still singing his praises, so... if this is your actual take then it's a pretty ignorant one.

What good is MLE if it’s on the DL all the time? That is the point you are missing. My take is cautious, not ignorant.

1 hour ago, malotru said:

What good is MLE if it’s on the DL all the time? That is the point you are missing. My take is cautious, not ignorant.

Upton played in 145 games last year. Only Simmons (146) played in more.