• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can probably add Upton to the IL to start the season

This is frustrating. I just want to see what the team can do with a healthy squad for an extended period of time.   The Angels start the season with ten games within their own division.  It would be nice to hammer these teams from the get go.  This Upton toe thing is going to make him this year's favorite narrative... just watch.  He was a topic of gripe sessions a lot last year and we're about to endure more of that.

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Bring up Walsh.  He can hit and play a corner OF.  He's a good defensive 1bman for late game replacement and he can throw a few innings here and there.  

Yep. I'd rather have Walsh in LF than Bourjos and Fletcher. 

Walsh probably moves just as quick if not better than a healthy Upton in LF as well. I like Bourjos for a pinch runner or very late defensive OF.

18 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Bring up Walsh.  He can hit and play a corner OF.  He's a good defensive 1bman for late game replacement and he can throw a few innings here and there.  

You know, this could be why they felt a little comfortable moving Jerez...I know Walsh isn't really a reliever, but between he and Jennings, the Angels would have some LH relief presence for at least the short-term.

They'll need to open up two more spots on the 40-man...we're at 39 I think, with Bourjos, Jennings, and potentially Walsh to add. Peters and even Suarez probably factor in as well.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

This is frustrating. I just want to see what the team can do with a healthy squad for an extended period of time.   The Angels start the season with ten games within their own division.  It would be nice to hammer these teams from the get go.  This Upton toe thing is going to make him this year's favorite narrative... just watch.  He was a topic of gripe sessions a lot last year and we're about to endure more of that.

This. I know injuries are part of the game, but can the Halos at least start the season with a healthy lineup? Or at the very least, can the injury bug hit some of the less essential guys?

57 minutes ago, DMVol said:

@Jeff Fletcher   Jeff:  If this is going to be more than a short term deal with Upton, would it not be a good time to find an OF'er who, like Stratton, is out of options or in a roster crunch?.....Obviously it would need to be somebody they like...

Probably. 

At the moment they have only 2 healthy OFs on the 40-man roster. 

I actually really like this idea the more I think about @Dochalo & @totdprods.

Walsh showed he can mash in the minors across three levels last season and he carried over into ST in March. 

How's this for a slash line: .333/.467/.792/1.258 with 2 HR, 5 BB, 4 K's and can play OF/1B/SP. 

Make it happen, Eppy! 

Any chance it does happen, @Jeff Fletcher?

I don’t think the Angels feel Walsh is actually an OF. I believe he only played 1B in spring training. And he’s still only pitched a few innings so I don’t know if they see him as a legit option there yet. 

I think if Upton is only going to miss 10-15 days, they just make Fletcher the 4th OF and call up Ward or Rengifo. 

If he’s going to be out longer, they probably have to add a real OF. The easiest way would be if they can trade one of their out of options relievers (Noé, Bedrosian) for one  

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

So, the answer is No...   BTW -- males don't reach maximum bone density til their late 20s early 30s.   So this being "old" may have been the difference between a bruised toe or a broken foot.   

Cute story, a real doctor will tell you everything I said was 100% accurate.

Heart

Age brings a decrease in maximum heart rate and an overall decline in maximum cardiac output, or the amount of blood the heart can pump, both of which limit athletic performance. In contrast, when younger athletes exercise, the size of the muscle in the walls of the heart chambers increases.

Lungs

Aging leads to a decrease in overall lung capacity and a decline in the ability of the lungs to move oxygen from the air into the bloodstream. This means less overall strength and endurance.

Muscles

As we age, we lose both muscle strength and muscle mass. Decline in muscle mass is known as sarcopenia (from the Greek for "loss of flesh"). 

Nervous System

With aging there is a marked decline in blood flow to the brain, which is associated with a decrease in reaction time. 

Age and Sports Injuries

Another important issue for older athletes is that of injury. Statistically, older athletes are much more likely to injure themselves than younger athletes who are doing the same sport. 

Musculoskeletal Problems

Loss of bone is an unavoidable fact of aging. Many older athletes are predisposed to bone fractures. 

2 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Heart

Age brings a decrease in maximum heart rate and an overall decline in maximum cardiac output, or the amount of blood the heart can pump, both of which limit athletic performance. In contrast, when younger athletes exercise, the size of the muscle in the walls of the heart chambers increases.

Lungs

Aging leads to a decrease in overall lung capacity and a decline in the ability of the lungs to move oxygen from the air into the bloodstream. This means less overall strength and endurance.

Muscles

As we age, we lose both muscle strength and muscle mass. Decline in muscle mass is known as sarcopenia (from the Greek for "loss of flesh"). 

Nervous System

With aging there is a marked decline in blood flow to the brain, which is associated with a decrease in reaction time. 

Age and Sports Injuries

Another important issue for older athletes is that of injury. Statistically, older athletes are much more likely to injure themselves than younger athletes who are doing the same sport. 

Musculoskeletal Problems

Loss of bone is an unavoidable fact of aging. Many older athletes are predisposed to bone fractures. 

Easy solution...steroids.

No recovery time = more workouts = more muscle mass = increased stability in the joints = better performance

Despite what people think, steroids do not make you do things better, they make your recovery time from workouts and repetitive motion non existent. You can literally workout all day every day.

24 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Heart

Lungs

Muscles

Nervous System

Age and Sports Injuries

Musculoskeletal Problems

Talk about cute -- he's 31 and was acquired in his age 29 season...   The fact is Upton doesn't fit the "old" FA narrative you tried to play on and the reality is -- the dude banged his foot.   But keep trying to dumb shit down to your level.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Talk about cute -- he's 31 and was acquired in his age 29 season...   The fact is Upton doesn't fit the "old" FA narrative you tried to play on and the reality is -- the dude banged his foot.   But keep trying to dumb shit down to your level.

Actually he does, he had a 4 year contract at the time they acquired him. Which means the angels would get his golden years of 30-34. Yippee.

And they idiotically added a 5th year on top of that. As you can see, his body is already starting to break down.

And my old FA narrative was related to performance not injuries although they are obviously related according to the expert M.D.'s opinion that I posted.

41 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Actually he does, he had a 4 year contract at the time they acquired him. Which means the angels would get his golden years of 30-34. Yippee.

And they idiotically added a 5th year on top of that. As you can see, his body is already starting to break down.

And my old FA narrative was related to performance not injuries although they are obviously related according to the expert M.D.'s opinion that I posted.

i'm sorry, but banging your toe on a concrete wall isn't a sign of your body breaking down. 

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

Heart

Lungs

Muscles

Nervous System

Age and Sports Injuries

Musculoskeletal Problems

the guy you quoted is a geriatrician which is who his article is speaking to.  

Upton isn't a post menopausal woman.