• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breakout/Comeback Player of the Year

• 2 weeks later...

Mondesi is a really good pick to break out, he's already proven he's an above average MLB player IMO, so a big step forwards towards elite player status seems like a solid bet.

As far as guys who weren't considered future stars who could break out goes.. Willians Astudio is a classic late blooming breakout candidate IMO,   I think Michael Pineda is as good a bet to win Comeback player as anyone -- Pedroia may factor into it too with the East coast hype -- I think he just started a rehab assignment.

NL, Alonso with the Mets and Alcantara with Miami are pretty good picks to bust out -- but both may be better listed as ROY candidates...     

For a more traditional breakout guy but, I'd prolly go with Hunter Renfroe, his batted ball profile took a huge step forward the second half of last year -- less pull happy, his launch angles spiked.   

Comeback player for me might be Jimmy Nelson, he's expected back soon but dude was on a serious upswing when he hurt his shoulder while running the bases.  Adam Eaton is another guy like Pedroia that may get some East coast hype and win it.

Edited by Inside Pitch

9 hours ago, m0nkey said:

If Yandy Diaz really figured out how to stop pounding balls into the ground, watch out for him too

This one is a great pick too -- I remember an article a while back pointing out his ridiculous exit velocities and sky high GB rates....  Talk about a guy being a case study for launch angle.

Yandy Diaz definitely looks primed.  His HR's haven't been the majestic sort, but he's driving the ball with such authority that they sneak out, especially in those AL East parks.  I also really like the easy velo that Sandy Alcantara is throwing with.  Upper 90's for 8 innings and making it look easy in his first start.