• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OF prospects not named Adell

Dtwncbad

Trout and Adell will occupy spot in the OF for many more years.

Angels obviously have other OF prospects.

Which emerges as the best, how quickly do they arrive, does this push Upton to 1B, and isn't it prudent to trade any other OF prospects for pitching or other position need?

Marsh could make a nice trade chip. Although we shouldn't assume Adell will succeed and take over in right, if he does, there won't be room for Marsh. 

Then again, perhaps Upton can move to first base in a couple years and Marsh can take over in left.

It depends on how they progress this year. I think I'm most intrigued by March and Hunter Jr. People seem to forget Hunter hasn't been playing full time ball for all that long, I'm curious to see how or if he can make a jump this year. He's obviously very athletic and can make some great plays in the OF, but it's his bat that will determine how far he goes.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Trout and Adell will occupy spot in the OF for many more years.

Angels obviously have other OF prospects.

Which emerges as the best, how quickly do they arrive, does this push Upton to 1B, and isn't it prudent to trade any other OF prospects for pitching or other position need?

It isn’t prudent to trade prospects for pitching until those prospects value is at their peak or very close to their peak.  

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

Marsh could make a nice trade chip. Although we shouldn't assume Adell will succeed and take over in right, if he does, there won't be room for Marsh. 

Then again, perhaps Upton can move to first base in a couple years and Marsh can take over in left.

You can always trade Upton for some pitching if Adell and Marsh both live up to the hype. 

Unless he he has a no trade clause. Not sure if he does or not 

9 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Hunter has an uphill battle to overcome his missed development time. Adams is the one to watch this year. He could be ready just in time to step into CF and move Trout to left

I haven’t seen Adams play, I just have heard they are high on him.  Him and the one from the Bahamas that was less touted but played better last year, was it Deveaux?  Or is he the one that was more touted?  Anyway I think we have a ton of high ceiling options out there going forward.  

The Angels are obviously excited by all their outfielders, but the one I'm hearing the most buzz on besides Adell is Jordyn Adam's. The Angels are big on the adjustments he was making last year before he broke his jaw in that collision, and as I understand, just like Adell like Adell, Trout watched video on him before the draft and just like Trout and Adell, he sat near the top of their draft board regardless of what pick they had. 

When comparing the two, Adell is the strongest one but Adams is faster. Adams is the better defender, though Adell will be gold glove caliber in his own right. Adell possesses the better arm but Adams is a better athlete which is hard to imagine but I guess it's true. They'll both hit for power, but Adell is going to hit for POWER whereas Adams will likely be more of the 15 HR type. 

But I think with Trout locked up, down the road the Angels will likely need to trade a few of them. Marsh is still a great or two from having huge value once he makes more contact and learn to lift the ball more. Deveaux is still a long way away but assuming he figures out what he's doing at the plate, his 80 grade speed will be a force to be reckoned with. Knowles lacks upside but has all the work ethic and could jump into the top 100 prospects this year. Hunter Jr. can still improve and battle Hermosillo for the 4th OF spot down the road. 

39 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Hunter has an uphill battle to overcome his missed development time. Adams is the one to watch this year. He could be ready just in time to step into CF and move Trout to left

I really don't think Trout has to out of necessity, nor wants to, surrender his domain at this stage of his career. You would really have to have a guy so talented defensively, and can hit well, that moving Trout becomes a true necessity to get those skills on the field. We don't have Mike Trout version 2.0 with a stronger throwing arm in our organization. We have really talented guys but no one that will move Trout for another 4-6 years. 

I could see Adell in right field and either Marsh, Adams or even a mystery draft pick, rising quickly through the organization, pushing Upton to 1st base. But...

1st base is a little bit of a quagmire right now because it's the only position Pujols can play, on an infrequent basis. The Upton move won't happen for 2-3 years because of that. By then Thaiss may have locked that position up, his progression through the minors hasn't been flashy but steady. 

This leaves the Angels with options to trade some surplus talent but also keep an eye open for 4 years down the road when Upton's contract expires. In terms of roster changeover, four years isn't that long for development of a true MLB quality player. In fact it would be more like three years where a guy will platoon with Upton to eventually take his spot. Marsh will only be 23 by that time. 

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I really don't think Trout has to out of necessity, nor wants to, surrender his domain at this stage of his career. You would really have to have a guy so talented defensively, and can hit well, that moving Trout becomes a true necessity to get those skills on the field. We don't have Mike Trout version 2.0 with a stronger throwing arm in our organization. We have really talented guys but no one that will move Trout for another 4-6 years. 

I could see Adell in right field and either Marsh, Adams or even a mystery draft pick, rising quickly through the organization, pushing Upton to 1st base. But...

1st base is a little bit of a quagmire right now because it's the only position Pujols can play, on an infrequent basis. The Upton move won't happen for 2-3 years because of that. By then Thaiss may have locked that position up, his progression through the minors hasn't been flashy but steady. 

This leaves the Angels with options to trade some surplus talent but also keep an eye open for 4 years down the road when Upton's contract expires. In terms of roster changeover, four years isn't that long for development of a true MLB quality player. In fact it would be more like three years where a guy will platoon with Upton to eventually take his spot. Marsh will only be 23 by that time. 

And Adams isn’t ready. That’s why I said when he’s ready which is probably 3 years and it doesn’t even have to be immediate at that point 

18 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

And Adams isn’t ready. That’s why I said when he’s ready which is probably 3 years and it doesn’t even have to be immediate at that point 

True because our best talent is really young. This last season Adell was 19, Adams 19, Marsh 20. It really works for a 4 year plan that all end up on the roster in some capacity and all in their early 20's. Calhoun didn't lock down right field until he was 26. These guys are probably in arbitration by then. Caveat, if they progress.

2019: Trout in CF, Upton in LF, Calhoun in RF, Bourjos 4th OF, Bour at 1B until August, then Thaiss, Ohtani at DH from May 1, on.

Offseason, Albert Pujols retires. Adell has a big year, Marsh improves and handles AA just fine. Hermosillo on the mend but does well in AAA.

2020: Trout in CF, Upton in LF, Adell in RF, the Angels gain extra points by not manipulating his service time. Hermosillo is 4th OF, Thaiss at 1B, Ohtani at DH. Walsh at 1B when Ohtani is not DHing and Thaiss moves to DH.

Offseason: Marsh destroys AAA all year and gets a cup of coffee when Upton gets hurt in 2020.

2021: Trout in CF, Adell in LF, Marsh in RF, Upton plays part time at 1B, part time at DH. Thaiss at part time 1B, Ohtani DH.

Offseason: Upton doesn't handle transition as well as hoped. Angels trade him and eat most of 28 million owed to him in his final year of contract, age 34.

2022: Trout in CF, Adell in LF, Marsh in RF, Thaiss at 1B, Ohtani at DH. Hunter Jr. as 4th OF.

Offseason: EVERYTHING CHANGES

2023: Trout in LF, Adams in CF, Adell in RF, Maitan at 3B, and DH's when Ohtani isn't, also covers 1B when Marsh is in the OF. Jeremiah Jackson at 3B when Maitan is at DH or 1B, Jackson is also the utility infielder and gets lots of reps in at SS and 2B so he's more of a super utility player. Simmons still at SS, but at this advanced age, requires more time off. Jahmai Jones is at 2B. Brandon Marsh moves to 1B in what can only be described as Erstad all over again, but covers 4th OF duty when one of them needs a rest.

This will all work itself out over the next few years, as players separate themselves from the pack. Right now the only near "sure thing" is Adell, who looks like he has a good chance of stardom, but should at least be an above average regular. He should take over for Calhoun by early 2020.

The cream of the crop are Adell, Marsh, Adams, Knowles, and Deveaux. All of these guys have plus skills and the potential to be above average major league regulars. Chances are one or two will be stars, one or two quality regulars, one or two bench types. 

Then you have fringy guys like Hermosillo, Walsh, Way, Lund, Hunter, O Martinez, Sandoval, N Williams, Del Valle, Sala, etc. Some of these guys could end up as major league bench players, and maybe one or two lands a starting gig somewhere else, but most will end up as minor league journeymen. 

And then there's 16-year old Alex Ramirez, but he probably won't even play stateside for another year and is half a decade away. Raider Uceta is another name to be aware of, but he's also years away.

3 hours ago, wopphil said:

If Upton moves to first then what to do with Thaiss and Walsh?

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

16 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

This will all work itself out over the next few years, as players separate themselves from the pack. Right now the only near "sure thing" is Adell, who looks like he has a good chance of stardom, but should at least be an above average regular. He should take over for Calhoun by early 2020.

The cream of the crop are Adell, Marsh, Adams, Knowles, and Deveaux. All of these guys have plus skills and the potential to be above average major league regulars. Chances are one or two will be stars, one or two quality regulars, one or two bench types. 

Then you have fringy guys like Hermosillo, Walsh, Way, Lund, Hunter, O Martinez, Sandoval, N Williams, Del Valle, Sala, etc. Some of these guys could end up as major league bench players, and maybe one or two lands a starting gig somewhere else, but most will end up as minor league journeymen. 

And then there's 16-year old Alex Ramirez, but he probably won't even play stateside for another year and is half a decade away. Raider Uceta is another name to be aware of, but he's also years 

Uceta looks like a future 1B if I've ever seen one. Alex Ramirez is more advanced than most 16 year olds, but even then 5 years is an aggressive timeline.

Just now, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

If Upton moves to first then what to do with Thaiss?

Again, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Believe me, I've fretted quite a bit about the wealth of outfield prospects, especially the fact that there simply isn't room for all of Trout, Adell, Marsh, Adams, Knowles, and Deveaux, but these things have a way of working themselves out. Adell and Marsh are both probably at least a year away, and the younger trio 2-3 years or more.

Yes, at some point the Angels will have to make some decisions, but those decisions will all be easier to make once we get there. For example: When will Adell be ready for a starting gig? Will Marsh develop into a star, and if so when will he be good enough to force roster moves (e.g. Upton to 1B/DH)? Who among the younger trio (Adams, Knowles, Deveaux) will emerge, who will struggle? Will any of the fringe guys take a step forward and become a legit prospect? Etc.

These are good questions to have, because the very fact we get to ask them means we've got a wealth of talent to enjoy over the coming years. Chances are some of these guys won't be as good as hoped, but one or two might surprise us. In five years we could be looking at our third year of Adell-Trout-Marsh, or we could be looking at Trout-Adams-Knowles, with Alex Ramirez knocking at the door. 

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Uceta looks like a future 1B if I've ever seen one. Alex Ramirez is more advanced than most 16 year olds, but even then 5 years is an aggressive timeline.

Yup. It would be the most aggressive/optimistic outlook, which would see him in Anaheim by around 2024 (age 21). But he might also be like a bill you stash in jeans that falls to the back of your closet and you don't see for a year. Whether that bill re-emerges as a $1 or $100 or something in-between remains to be seen. The point being, he's not even on the radar this year, but someone to possibly be pleasantly surprised about in a year or two. 

Right now my thoughts and questions going into the season are:

Adell: The injury hurdle...how big is it and how does it effect his timeline? Any long-term impact, or will he still be on target for RF in early 2020?

Marsh: Can he take the big leap forward that we're all expecting/hoping for? I think we need to see it this year if he's going to be more than just a solid major league regular. 

Knowles: How far will his make-up take him? Could he be an Altuve/Betts type that performs above his tools? (Not expecting him to be that good, but in the same general mold of being more than the sum of his parts and out-performing his tools). Or will he hit a wall and be more of a major league 4th outfielder?

Adams: Will the athleticism develop into skills? Could we have a 21st century Tim Raines on our hands?

Deveaux: Can his swing be fixed? 

Etc.

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yup. It would be the most aggressive/optimistic outlook, which would see him in Anaheim by around 2024 (age 21). But he might also be like a bill you stash in jeans that falls to the back of your closet and you don't see for a year. Whether that bill re-emerges as a $1 or $100 or something in-between remains to be seen. The point being, he's not even on the radar this year, but someone to possibly be pleasantly surprised about in a year or two. 

Adell: The injury hurdle...how big is it and how does it effect his timeline? Any long-term impact, or will he still be on target for RF in early 2020?

Marsh: Can he take the big leap forward that we're all expecting/hoping for? I think we need to see it this year if he's going to be more than just a solid major league regular. 

Knowles: How far will his make-up take him? Could he be an Altuve/Betts type that performs above his tools? (Not expecting him to be that good, but in the same general mold of being more than the sum of his parts and out-performing his tools). Or will he hit a wall and be more of a major league 4th outfielder?

Adams: Will the athleticism develop into skills? Could we have a 21st century Tim Raines on our hands?

Etc.

I thought you'd never ask. 

1. My favorite kind of money, the type you didn't know you had!

Adell: word is the injury isn't that serious. Is just ST and they don't want it to linger and so they'll allow him to fully heal. He wont miss much time. 

Marsh: His progress will continue to be gradual finishing this year with a decent performance in AA. But 2020 is when he will have a breakout. 

Knowles: His game is at a level few are expecting. He will do well in A Ball but will take longer to promote than Adell and Marsh because his tools just don't stand out like that. But he will finish the year with a strong showing at Inland Empire and break into top 100 lists. 

Adams: Yes, it translates.

Deveaux: Yes, to an extent. He still needs to add some good weight. 

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Etc.

I think Adell will be fine.  This is the glass half empty thought, but sometime being on the outside looking in can give young players an additional perspective about certain things.  

Marsh looked like he was focused on contact this spring.  I think that will serve him well.  The power will come

Knowles - I'm not ready to discount his potential in any way shape or form yet.  The k rate was scary but he was a 17 yo at Orem.  The youngest player in the league with more than 20 PA.  He's already got good pop and good discipline.  

Adams - biggest ceiling of anyone not Adell.  He could bust out this year but my guess is that it takes a couple more years 

Deveaux - they were clearly rebuilding him last year.  Also two years away before we see anything.  

One thing I would like to point out about our current system.  For almost a 5 year period we had no international prospects and only took high floor players in the draft.  We are so used to seeing guys that aren't far off from who they are ever going to be.  In other words, a lot of things can happen for these guys from age 17/18 to 22/23.  We shouldn't be to quick with our assumptions about any of them.