• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno vs Gene Autry

7 hours ago, yk9001 said:

I find it hilarious that this franchise has one great moment in 60 years, and the Moreno-stans on this board will never recognize it.

The Moreno-stans will parrot all this bs about how slapping LA on the franchise opened up all these marketing and recognition windfalls.  Yet, as the Trout signing news again showed, the LA Angels are a complete zero in terms of marketing and recognition on a national scale.  The exact opposite of what slapping the LA name was supposed to do.

I'm lost. What's a Moreno-stans

8 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Yet, as the Trout signing news again showed, the LA Angels are a complete zero in terms of marketing and recognition on a national scale.

I agree

it's ridiculous that nobody east of Yucaipa has even mentioned it 

6 hours ago, W.E. Baxter Author said:

All the owners had one or two major things which they contributed to the franchise's history, but Gene Autry stands above the rest. Arte Moreno is a good man (took me quite awhile to see this) but not a good owner. What can I say, everything The Mouse touches turns to platinum. Disney has turned two franchises into winning ones (Angels and Ducks) and put Anaheim/Orange County on the map.

Autry HOF.png

I have to be honest. I think we "lucked" that world series in spite of disney.

The core was drafted prior to them. To their credit, they did sign Vaugn. Regardless of how that turned out, they did open the wallet and shoot for a bonafide star.

But they also got cheap with randy johnson.

The core of that 02 team was far better than anything weve had the last decade. And for those bitching about the last few years duck signings...anyone want to do a roll call for the pitchers we used to sign?

Just throwing it out there. In 01 we finished 40 games out. In 03 we fell apart with injuries. Would disney have signed vlad? Colon? Etc etc?

Just my opinion. But taking the above into account, and seeing as though Disney basically used this team to market itself...

Not a fan

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I have to be honest. I think we "lucked" that world series in spite of disney.

The core was drafted prior to them. To their credit, they did sign Vaugn. Regardless of how that turned out, they did open the wallet and shoot for a bonafide star.

But they also got cheap with randy johnson.

The core of that 02 team was far better than anything weve had the last decade. And for those bitching about the last few years duck signings...anyone want to do a roll call for the pitchers we used to sign?

Just throwing it out there. In 01 we finished 40 games out. In 03 we fell apart with injuries. Would disney have signed vlad? Colon? Etc etc?

Just my opinion. But taking the above into account, and seeing as though Disney basically used this team to market itself...

Not a fan

Yepper. I remember watching an interview with Mike Scioscia a couple of years after the WS victory. He said that when Disney took over he and Stoneman were called to a meeting with Disney officials, and in this meeting they were told, unequivocally, that Disney had no intention of building a championship caliber team because the ROI did not justify the expense. They wanted a team that would be consistently good enough to keep the fans coming to the stadium to maximize profit. After the meeting, Sciocia and Stoneman talked and agreed that they would work behind the scenes, without authorization, to put together a WS winner.

The World Series victory is on Stoneman and Sciosia, not Disney.

2 hours ago, Fish Oil said:

Yepper. I remember watching an interview with Mike Scioscia a couple of years after the WS victory. He said that when Disney took over he and Stoneman were called to a meeting with Disney officials, and in this meeting they were told, unequivocally, that Disney had no intention of building a championship caliber team because the ROI did not justify the expense. They wanted a team that would be consistently good enough to keep the fans coming to the stadium to maximize profit. After the meeting, Sciocia and Stoneman talked and agreed that they would work behind the scenes, without authorization, to put together a WS winner.

The World Series victory is on Stoneman and Sciosia, not Disney.

Sounds like a script to another sequel to Major League.  Major League IV: Screw the Mouse

Edited by NJHalo

Ok, my two cents...

It always seemed to me that Gene Autry LIVED to see the Angels succeed.   Yes, letting Ryan go was a horrible move...but someone had convinced him that it was in the best interest of the team.   So, maybe his judgement can be questioned, but not his passion to put the best team he could out there.

On the other hand, Arte seems more like a businessman who is always looking to maximize his profits.   If the fans would stand for it  (and his profits remained the same), then I don't think he would of ok'd the Trout extension.   Maybe he's learning that this is an entertainment business and that watching the team struggle as his bank account grows is not very entertaining.   Props to Billy Eppler for helping him see the light.    Maybe a chart showing projected increase in team value did the trick?   ?

And THANK GOD for Mike Trout!   He didn't hold a grudge over some early penny pinching by the team.    He didn't get bent out of shape by the team not jumping at a contract extension when he approached them about it a few years ago.   He didn't get discouraged by the lack of playoff appearances.  The best player of this generation wants to be an Angel for his whole career.     We are so blessed to have him.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:18 AM, Blarg said:

Wasn't on the board last night but this is preseason. On opening day I'm sure they will include Ohtani as Rookie of the Year with pitching and hitting clips. 

I’m going to be holding the flag for opening night. I hope they play this song while I’m on the field. They did last year and it was amazing.

also, watching the flyover from the field is awesome.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:37 AM, Rally Gorilla said:

On the other hand, Arte seems more like a businessman who is always looking to maximize his profits.   If the fans would stand for it  (and his profits remained the same), then I don't think he would of ok'd the Trout extension.   Maybe he's learning that this is an entertainment business and that watching the team struggle as his bank account grows is not very entertaining.   Props to Billy Eppler for helping him see the light.    Maybe a chart showing projected increase in team value did the trick?   ?

Arte is a fricken genius. He knows that the bulk of the fans only cared about extending Trout so that’s what he did. He knew that that alone would bring in the 3 million casual fans thru the turnstiles. Lost in all of this is that he really didn’t improve the team and he successfully cut the budget and still made the fans really happy. F’n brilliant. 

4 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

Arte is a fricken genius. He knows that the bulk of the fans only cared about extending Trout so that’s what he did. He knew that that alone would bring in the 3 million casual fans thru the turnstiles. Lost in all of this is that he really didn’t improve the team and he successfully cut the budget and still made the fans really happy. F’n brilliant. 

Not only that, he has some idiots convinced that $4.50 for a cup of Bud Light is cheap.

Truly a marketing wizard.

I have always believed that the primary reason the Angels have been a mediocre franchise was, and is, due to poor ownership.

Gene Autry  seemed like a wonderful fellow and  generally as likable as anyone, but I feel he was a poor baseball owner, whose short sightedness kept him from building a winner.

In all fairness, his staff, who tried to " win one for the cowboy"  might have been the larger problem. 

As Autry was getting up in years, the primary organizational goal was to "win now", at the expense of the intermediate and long term future.

The organization did what they felt would give the Angels the best chance of winning a WS ASAP, even if it meant losing for the long term.

With greater long term goals, the Angels likely would have enjoyed the prowess of Jerry Remy, Carney Lansford, Rance Mulinnex, Brian Harper, Mickey Rivers, Bruce Bochthe, Tom Brunansky, Dante Bichette, and some others, here in Anaheim. 

Of course, I suppose one could not blame the Angel philosophy, as winning for Autry just one WS would have been worth losing for the next 100 years from the organizations perspective, and if not for one pitch back in 1986, it might have worked.

As far as Moreno, he has a lot to accomplish to make up for the wasted millions on Pujols and Hamilton.

The Angels have also had a ridiculous number of injuries the last few years, so blaming the Angels shortcoming fully on Moreno would not be fair

On 3/26/2019 at 4:26 AM, yk9001 said:

I thought one of them was ribbie.

And the dixieland jazz band on the dugout

Yup.  I think there were two sets of Angel mascot bears, Southpaw and Ribbie and later Clutch and Scoop.

latest?cb=20160219043306

...still better than Wally the Green Monster

220px-Wally_the_green_monster.jpg