• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno vs Gene Autry

Disney marketed The Angels inside the box as Arte Moreno has said. "Anaheim" is good for hockey, but not for Major League Baseball. Arte Moreno marketed the team outside the box, but not inside the box as the people of The O.C. celebrates their own identity and want nothing to do with L.A. In Orange County, an MLB Team should be marketed IN AND OUTSIDE the box. That is what Gene Autry did with California Angels, which they probably never should have stopped being. Also, families and Baseball Fans were important to The Cowboy. Of all The Angels owners, Gene Autry was by far the best. I keep hoping they put him in Cooperstown someday. O'Malley is already in.  In one of my books, I called Walter O'Malley and Gene Autry the "Lewis and Clark of Major League Baseball." O'Malley brought the National League to the West Coast and Gene Autry brought the American League to the West Coast. Before that, Major League Baseball was mostly on the East Coast and didn't get to far west of Chicago. Both O'Malley and Autry opened the way west for Major League Franchises just like Lewis and Clark did for American Pioneer Settlers. This more less puts Gene Autry way over the top from the other owners. 

30 minutes ago, W.E. Baxter Author said:

Disney marketed The Angels inside the box as Arte Moreno has said. "Anaheim" is good for hockey, but not for Major League Baseball. Arte Moreno marketed the team outside the box, but not inside the box as the people of The O.C. celebrates their own identity and want nothing to do with L.A. In Orange County, an MLB Team should be marketed IN AND OUTSIDE the box. That is what Gene Autry did with California Angels, which they probably never should have stopped being. Also, families and Baseball Fans were important to The Cowboy. Of all The Angels owners, Gene Autry was by far the best. I keep hoping they put him in Cooperstown someday. O'Malley is already in.  In one of my books, I called Walter O'Malley and Gene Autry the "Lewis and Clark of Major League Baseball." O'Malley brought the National League to the West Coast and Gene Autry brought the American League to the West Coast. Before that, Major League Baseball was mostly on the East Coast and didn't get to far west of Chicago. Both O'Malley and Autry opened the way west for Major League Franchises just like Lewis and Clark did for American Pioneer Settlers. This more less puts Gene Autry way over the top from the other owners. 

What book?

Autry made the California Angels happen.  I don't think that can be overlooked.  He tried to get a ring with Baylor, Gritch and Rudi, as well as other moves, they just did not work out.  I believe he was also instrumental in getting Danny Kaye to form the Seattle Mariners ownership.

Pop worked at KMPC and I remember the first rule was Do not park in Mr. Autry's spot, even on Saturday or Sunday.

23 hours ago, nando714 said:

Doubt it

if we all love the game we’d all be rooting for another team. Most likely the dodgers and complaining about them lol

Yep... Without Autry there would be no butthurt and everyone would love the Dodgers.

Different times, different era, different places.

The Cowboy was a TV/ radio station owner (investor) who wanted a baseball team to broadcast -- he ended up as the expansion team owner with the SECOND Los Angeles franchise (as Anaheim found out a few years ago)

Arte was a advertising quasi-mogul (at least in the rapidly growing Phoenix Valley (of the Sun) who clearly understands marketing and products (3 Million fans each year for the past decade plus is no accidental happenstance)

The Cowboy was a Silver Screen icon (I think a few of our younger posters may not fully appreciate Autry's star power with Republic Pictures and others back in the day - Autry was a Movie, TV and recording star -top of the charts) who always wound up Back in the Saddle.  His locating the 'second Los Angeles MLB franchise' in Los Angeles made a lasting impact on S. California sports scene.  He did fail to keep the best pitcher of his era, and perhaps one of the top five/ten of ALL TIME in MLB on the Halos (Nolan Ryan). His decision is forever memorialized by the Texas cap that adorns Nolan Ryan's plaque in the HOF.

Arte bought the Angels from corporate ownership which ran the Halos like they were just another division of the company (which they were) and made the Halos --really for the first time - a major market team. Now he has indelibly left his mark on MLB and the S,. Cal sports scene by keeping the best MLB player of this generation and perhaps one of the best five/ ten of ALL TIME in MLB history before Trout's MLB career is over - in S. California leaving no doubt what cap Trout's plaque will adorn in the HOF.

Both the Cowboy - No. 26 -- and Arte - No. 1 -- are great.

Now, for me, My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys......

On 3/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, Kody Mac said:

Disney was clearly the best owner the Angels have had. Without Disney, the Angels would have never won a World Series and the Angels would never had had the glorious Rally Monkey AND THEREFORE would never have drafted Michael Nelson Trout.

Check and mate.

I find it hilarious that this franchise has one great moment in 60 years, and the Moreno-stans on this board will never recognize it.

The Moreno-stans will parrot all this bs about how slapping LA on the franchise opened up all these marketing and recognition windfalls.  Yet, as the Trout signing news again showed, the LA Angels are a complete zero in terms of marketing and recognition on a national scale.  The exact opposite of what slapping the LA name was supposed to do.

13 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Yet, as the Trout signing news again showed, the LA Angels are a complete zero in terms of marketing and recognition on a national scale.

The fact that it's a .500 team doesn't help.

But hey, we've got Trout.

Teams with a large following beyond their geographical region, most are old, established teams associated with large cities:

New York
Boston
Chicago

A name change isn't going to get you on that list.

All the owners had one or two major things which they contributed to the franchise's history, but Gene Autry stands above the rest. Arte Moreno is a good man (took me quite awhile to see this) but not a good owner. What can I say, everything The Mouse touches turns to platinum. Disney has turned two franchises into winning ones (Angels and Ducks) and put Anaheim/Orange County on the map.

Autry HOF.png