• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It's extension season!

21 hours ago, arch stanton said:

But it’s serving a purpose. Even moving forward it’ll be the way to supplement a roster when it’s time to go for it. 

It’s better for everyone involved to let these guys start making their money a year or two earlier. 2 years pre-arb and 2 years arb or start the clock from the time they go on the 40 man and make them RFA after 6 years from then. Anything has to be better than watching competent ball players twist in the wind in late March because they finally made it to free agency and can’t get past the QO

eliminate the loss of a draft pick all together...

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

if he's available, at least there's a chance.  Main reason I don't see him coming here is that Eppler won't wait till March for him to make a decision.  

He’ll be the only FA starter of significance available. He’ll get overpaid, and Eppler doesn’t seem keen on overpaying. I think we’ll make a trade before doing that. 

6 hours ago, Lou said:

what was it in his comments that led you to this conclusion?

Nothing particularly . See my earlier comment. His agent is Boras, he’s fixed on free agency, and he’s going to get offered a not load of money. Even if the Angels were his top choice (which I’m skeptical of), they’d have to overpay to get him, IMO, due to the market scarcity on quality at his position. 

7 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

He’ll be the only FA starter of significance available. He’ll get overpaid, and Eppler doesn’t seem keen on overpaying. I think we’ll make a trade before doing that. 

Nothing particularly . See my earlier comment. His agent is Boras, he’s fixed on free agency, and he’s going to get offered a not load of money. Even if the Angels were his top choice (which I’m skeptical of), they’d have to overpay to get him, IMO, due to the market scarcity on quality at his position. 

I think the Angels will make a strong early offer but Cole will likely wait out the market and get that extra year or even two from someone else.  

Scherzer got 7/210 and Price got 7/217.  Greinke got 6/205.   If he has a 2019 similar to 2018, he'll get something similar.  In the current environment, he might get 6 years but I bet he gets seven.  I agree that the Halos won't do that for a pitcher.  

Not sure what team has a front line starter available for trade at this point though.  We have to hope the rockies tank or cleveland falls apart.  

Wheeler, Wacha or Bumgarner are probably more likely targets.  

18 hours ago, ettin said:

This isn't really that new, the Indians and Rays have been executing this extension strategy for years now quite successfully (e.g. Archer, Kluber, et al). It's just becoming more common place around the rest of the League.

This is true. With the Rays you can go all the way back to Longoria. And they just locked Snell up as well.

40 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/astros-justin-verlander-reportedly-moving-toward-extension.html

Mar. 23, 12:50 PM: Per Mark Berman of Fox 26 Houston, the Astros have reached an agreement with Verlander on a 2-year, $66MM extension.

I really hope this is the year he starts to rapidly decline.

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

that's a lot of money for a guy his age.  I am happy to see them take that risk.  

Takes their cap hit next season to 138 mil using the info at Cots https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KggX-IVrw6TywbOR6OIooQyxAY1MpTlnq88PqnNkuWQ/pubhtml 

They haven't yet updated it to include the Verlander extension but, 6 pitchers still facing FA and Springer in his final arbitration year...   

Edited by Inside Pitch

9 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

If Im Houstons owner, I also throw in free seats to my suite for Kate Upton when Verlander pitches. And then I become the next #metoo villain.

Like who cares if twitter destroys you? No one knew you owned the astros to begin with.

image.gif

2 hours ago, Glen said:

I really hope this is the year he starts to rapidly decline.

I've been saying this about Tom Brady for the last few years. He's like the freaking energizer bunny.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

that's a lot of money for a guy his age.  I am happy to see them take that risk.  

It's a great deal for Verlander. Not an awful risk for the Stros either - they're in a good competitive window and it's not a long term deal. 

12 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Cool now go get Syndegard. That dumpster fire of an organization needs some cheap players to accommodate that salary.

Right. Syndergaard and his injury history will fit right in on our staff.

Has yet to have TJ surgery, which makes him even more attractive.  

11 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Its a pretty good deal for the team... I wouldnt be surprised if he is traded now.

He has an opt-out after 2022. The deal, unfortunately has a full no-trade clause. I suppose he could still be traded if he liked the destination, though.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:59 AM, Dochalo said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/astros-justin-verlander-reportedly-moving-toward-extension.html

Mar. 23, 12:50 PM: Per Mark Berman of Fox 26 Houston, the Astros have reached an agreement with Verlander on a 2-year, $66MM extension.

So the man makes $33 mil per year and gets to go home to an SI swimsuit model every night. paul rudd whatever GIF