• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taking a NYC/DC trip in May

@Taylor glad you and your wife had a great trip.  Traveling can be such a blast; especially when you have a plan and everything lives up to or exceeds expectations.  I hate the part that involves packing, going to the airport, etc. - but the actual vacation part is awesome. 

Excellent, @Taylor. I've got new places to go in NYC when I go in June. 

I've been to NYC about 15 times in the past 10 years. I stay with friends in Brooklyn, and have been to everything in NYC except touristy places, which I hate. The Statue of Liberty visit sounds awful, and I've never set foot in Time Square because it's like a big mall from anywhere in the US but with more lights, and all of the most annoying people you try to avoid at the mall waddling around. 

The museums are about as touristy as I get, and they're all pretty awesome. You can go to one of any of the 20,000 mom and pop restaurants in Manhattan and get the best sandwich of your life for $8, or the best dinner entree you've ever hard for $20. There are better views of Manhattan in Brooklyn than anywhere else. The US Open in Queens is a pretty fantastic experience as long as you stay away from Ashe.  Got to see the first 2 exo games played at the New Yankee stadium in the Bronx, and that was pretty awesome. 

I saw lots of DC when I had to go there every couple of weeks during one of my duty assignments. It was okay.  

19 minutes ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

Excellent, @Taylor. I've got new places to go in NYC when I go in June. 

I've been to NYC about 15 times in the past 10 years. I stay with friends in Brooklyn, and have been to everything in NYC except touristy places, which I hate. The Statue of Liberty visit sounds awful, and I've never set foot in Time Square because it's like a big mall from anywhere in the US but with more lights, and all of the most annoying people you try to avoid at the mall waddling around. 

The museums are about as touristy as I get, and they're all pretty awesome. You can go to one of any of the 20,000 mom and pop restaurants in Manhattan and get the best sandwich of your life for $8, or the best dinner entree you've ever hard for $20. There are better views of Manhattan in Brooklyn than anywhere else. The US Open in Queens is a pretty fantastic experience as long as you stay away from Ashe.  Got to see the first 2 exo games played at the New Yankee stadium in the Bronx, and that was pretty awesome. 

I saw lots of DC when I had to go there every couple of weeks during one of my duty assignments. It was okay.  

We really enjoyed our Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island visit. You can learn a lot from the free audio tour.

i went to the statue of liberty way back in '83. climbed every single one of those blasted steps to the top, where they give you about 7 seconds to look out her crown onto the harbor and then they rush you back down. glad i did it once. have zero desire to ever do it again.

until my daughter decides she wants to visit NYC and have me go with her...

14 hours ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

There are better views of Manhattan in Brooklyn than anywhere else. 

My view from Hoboken NJ last week. You should give it a try next time you are in the area. Easy to get there via ferry or PATH train. Lots of restaurants, bars, pubs, clubs, and a young crowd 

DA0813D5-ECD7-4277-B612-1EBF5E767935.jpeg

7ED7F68D-7E84-49E8-A91E-E50B3B65359E.jpeg

6 hours ago, NJHalo said:

My view from Hoboken NJ last week. You should give it a try next time you are in the area, @Tank, where it would be my pleasure to let you stay at my house for free and feed you every single day, plus drive you all over. I'll also get you suite tickets for whatever games are going on that week, be it in yankee stadium, MSG, or Giants stadium.

man, that's incredibly generous, NJ. thanks. I'll be in touch.

• 2 weeks later...

Citi Field> Yankee Stadium IMHO. The subway drops you off right there, so if you can read a subway map, you can’t beat it. Food is good, and lots of good beer from smaller local breweries. The neighborhood around there stinks. Not dangerous or anything, just not much there. 

Lots of good advice given above. Where are you staying and what else do you have planned?

52 minutes ago, NJHalo said:

Citi Field> Yankee Stadium IMHO. The subway drops you off right there, so if you can read a subway map, you can’t beat it. Food is good, and lots of good beer from smaller local breweries. The neighborhood around there stinks. Not dangerous or anything, just not much there. 

Lots of good advice given above. Where are you staying and what else do you have planned?

My sister has an apartment in Stuy Town, so we're going to stay with her.   I've been probably 7 times or so in the past 4+ years, so I've done the big things, but it's the first time going with the girlfriend.  

The only things set in stone are the Mets game in the afternoon and then Thursday and Friday night we're watching Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (currently trying to watch the movies because I've only seen the first three and haven't read any of the books).  Other than that, not a whole lot, probably just eat everywhere, central park, and the world trade center.  Might hit up the Oculus because I haven't been, unless you think it's a trap.

I haven’t been to the Oculus yet, so I can’t comment. Looks cool though. Along those lines, try out The Vessel at Hudson Yards, and the High Line. They are right next to each other. The Vessel just opened so I haven’t tried it yet. Just make sure you are in good shape because it’s a lot of stairs.

https://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/discover/vessel

14 hours ago, m0nkey said:

My sister has an apartment in Stuy Town, so we're going to stay with her.   I've been probably 7 times or so in the past 4+ years, so I've done the big things, but it's the first time going with the girlfriend. 

The only things set in stone are the Mets game in the afternoon

So, I take your plan is to propose to your GF at the Mets game, right?

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

So, I take your plan is to propose to your GF at the Mets game, right?

If that’s the case, then you need to act soon. It just so happens that my buddy runs the scoreboard, and for $1000 he can put your proposal up on the jumbotron. PM me for his bank info for an immediate wire transfer. It’s usually twice the price with such little notice, but I told him you were with me.

16 hours ago, NJHalo said:

I haven’t been to the Oculus yet, so I can’t comment. Looks cool though. Along those lines, try out The Vessel at Hudson Yards, and the High Line. They are right next to each other. The Vessel just opened so I haven’t tried it yet. Just make sure you are in good shape because it’s a lot of stairs.

Have you heard how the same day ticket line/demand is?  They're out of the reservation tickets thru this weekend, but seems like something they would want to see.

16 minutes ago, True Grich said:

@m0nkey we need to talk about the elephant in the room... your proposal to your GF.  Now, are you going to involve Mr. Met?  Or better yet - maybe Keith Hernandez can bring the ring. 

ooh, i know! do it during the 7th inning stretch. you can have the PA announcer say something like "this call to the bullpen is brought to you by robbins brothers jewelers, who also happen to be here today as our little buddy special guest from california has a VERY important question to ask his girlfriend up on the mezzanine level."

best wishes, man. don't let her know you're nervous.

16 hours ago, NJHalo said:

Oculus is, um, "interesting" - I dunno - not sure it really fit into the WTC plaza, but at certain angles, it looks cool.   If you're there, might as well go inside.  

High Line is opening the "Spur" like this weekend?  (runs thru the old USPS building)

The landscaping and such are cool, but I went last weekend, and had to bail halfway thru, it was just too congested - catch it on weeknight.