• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taking a NYC/DC trip in May

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Taylor said:

The info they gave us said there are no public restrooms during the tour.

So I'd have to take a dump on Trump's couch.

You'll only get away with that Taylor if your last name is Swift.

Wait... Is it?

6 hours ago, Taylor said:

The info they gave us said there are no public restrooms during the tour.

So I'd have to take a dump on Trump's couch.

I mean, you could. But youre better than that. Shit on one of the old timers leftovers.

"I once pitched a loaf on LBJs olf ficus trees! It was a fake tree, but still it was really nice. Was." 

11 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I mean, you could. But youre better than that. Shit on one of the old timers leftovers.

"I once pitched a loaf on LBJs olf ficus trees! It was a fake tree, but still it was really nice. Was." 

okay, i'll say it . . .

i want to party with you.

Thanks to everyone who shared their pro tips in this thread! @red321 @Tank @NJHalo @Stradling @eaterfan @Blarg @ten ocho recon scout and many others

We had a phenomenal trip. We did a LOT ... every day featured at least one (but sometimes two, three, or four) fun activities.

Some highlights:

• 9/11 Mueseum - Woah, what an experience. They did such an impeccable job of designing the museum and making it both interesting and appropriately somber. How it takes you underground and allows you to walk around the "footprints" of the two towers ... I've never seen anything like it. I'm really glad we paid extra and booked the guided tour. This place is a must for anyone visiting NYC.
  • Bronx Zoo - My wife and I are fans of zoos and typically visit one when we're out of town. The Bronx Zoo is a bit removed from the Manhattan hub (about a 45-minute subway ride), but it's massive (even bigger than the San Diego Zoo) with some really cool animal exhibits. This also the zoo featured on the TV series "The Zoo."
  • Natural History Museum and The Met - Both places are incredible. You could spend an entire day at either one. I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy The Met because I don't usually love art museums, but the way it's designed and organized makes it a very compelling visit
  • Broadway - We saw "Dear Evan Hansen" at the Music Box Theatre. It was excellent. We would have sprung for Hamilton tickets, but those are still going for $300+ each.
  • Arlington Cemetery - This place is beautiful. You can't help but feel an overwhelming sense of gratefulness for our fallen heroes after visiting here. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and changing of the guard are a must-see. It was definitely worth paying $15 each for the tram. It would not have been fun to walk those hills, plus the tour guides on the trams provide some really cool information. I also liked seeing Abner Doubleday's gravesite.
  • Georgetown - We did a "Ghosts of Georgetown" tour, which was a mixture of a historical and ghost tour. The kicker is that it ends at the home and the famous stairs where the exterior scenes of "The Exorcist" were filmed. My wife and I are fans of horror movies, so this was awesome to see. Georgetown is a cool place. It's a Historically Preserved district, so almost all of the buildings look exactly as they did when they were built in the 1800s.
  • Library of Congress - We didn't know what to expect, but it's a really cool place. The free guided tour was interesting and informative. We asked about getting library cards so that we could go in the big reading room, but we were told they discourage out-of-towners from getting them as souvenirs. Regardless, this was a fun visit. There's a "Baseball Americana" exhibit on the top floor that is everything a baseball nerd would ever want in a baseball exhibit (although there was a disturbing lack of Mike Trout). 
  • Camden Yards - Obviously, this was a top highlight. Seeing the Angels play at this beautiful stadium was a lifetime memory. I was surprised by how many Angel fans were in attendance. We saw hundreds of others.
  • White House Tour - Holy crap, this was awesome. Even though we had a timed entry at 11 AM, we waited in an hour-long security line that featured four or five different security checkpoints. But it was totally worth it. You walk through the East Wing and get to see most of the presidential portraits and several of the sitting and meeting rooms that have been used by presidents throughout the history of the country. The Secret Service was on hand to answer questions. If any of you are visiting DC in the near future, definitely apply for a tour through your member of Congress's website. 

Now, I've got a case of the post-vacation blues. The East Coast is awesome in May when the humidity hasn't kicked in yet. It makes me want to travel more.

Edited by Taylor

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

If you didn't go to Lincoln's pancake house you wasted your time there. 

We saw it after visiting Ford's Theater, and I said to my wife (I'm not joking), "Hey, I think Blarg from AngelsWin mentioned that place, but said something about it being a total tourist trap."

11 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Exactly. But it's cheap breakfast and there is always the local beat writers that hang out there. Maybe a congressman or two. 

Aw man, we totally should've eaten there. It looked like they had some good chicken and waffles.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

We saw it after visiting Ford's Theater, and I said to my wife (I'm not joking), "Hey, I think Blarg from AngelsWin mentioned that place, but said something about it being a total tourist trap."

So no mention of my nose pick request? 

3 hours ago, True Grich said:

@Taylor We are waiting for your report on all of your dining experiences on your trip as well!

Unfortunately, we didn't hit many great eating spots, mostly because of our limited budget. We did eat at this awesome Thai place in NYC called Thai Villa. My wife said it's the best pad thai she's ever had. We also had some good NY pizza.